This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Who dosen't Love a WW2 based shooter, but they're missing the other war.

The other day after watching the movie 'Lost Battalion' (really good by the way) in my Wars class at school and then later that night, a friend of mine made a joke about there are too many WWII shooters. We laughed and keep talking, then it came to me: why the hell are there no World War 1 Shooters? I can understand that WW1 was only 20 years older and more people remember WW2, but I think that there is a whole untapped genre of FPS. You could argue that there isn't enough material to work with, but there are still a lot of neat things you can do. For example:

Mission 1: Boot Camp (i.e. the tutorial).
Mission 2: a simple attempt to take the German line.
Mission 3: Go out into No Man's land and fix your barbwire (Stealth)
Mission 4: go over the top to only have to retreat.
Mission 5: be a machine gunner while the Germans attack.
Mission 6: Go do a scouting mission at night.
Mission 7: Be an artillery man.
Mission 8: Hold off a German assault in the trench (melee and hand to hand)
e.t.c.

It would be pretty realistic, but they would have to raise the survival rate up a bunch. There is so much that could be done and yet the VG industry has ignored it.
So, does anyone have any thoughts about why there isn't a WW1 shooter?

Comments

• I don't think that there are any WW1 shooters, because the weapon pool that they can pull from isn't as big as in WW2 shooters. Also, a lot more battles are more interesting in WW2, than in WW1. Last, if you asked somebody who led Germany in WW2, they would right away tell you it was Hitler. If you asked someone who led Germany in WW1, they probably wouldn't tell you it was Kaiser Wilhelm II. Sadly, it's just probably never going to happen.
    That's not to say it wouldn't be an amazing idea to actually make this kind of game. Especially if you add in some interactivity into the game, that other shooters leave out. Like there being a chance that your gun will just fall apart in your hands, or a round explodes in the barrel, since the bullets back then were unreliable. Maybe even play as the Germans in the war. A game based on the info given from the book "All Quiet on the Western Front" wouldn't be too bad. I think it would be a good idea for something like a Source Mod to try and create and see how it goes.
  • Also, a lot more battles are more interesting in WW2, than in WW1.
    Bingo.

Exit trench. Get killed by machine gun. Hooray.

Or...

Get machine gun. Shoot guy who exits trench. Repeat.
  • but I think that there is a whole untapped genre of FPS.
    Removing one 'I' means a whole untapped new genre of FPS for you?
    And why wouldn't those missions you've named as example be possible in a WWII FPS?
  • edited October 2007
    Hey, great idea. Now let's make some fps about some Napoleonic wars! Alright everybody line up, aim, Fire! Crouch, reload, aim, fire! Repeat.

All fpses supposedly based on a real war are not really about historical accuracy. Even the obligatory reconstructions of real battles, e.g: Normandy, are nothing like the real thing was. All those fpses are the same. They are just normal, bland, fpses that choose to have a different theme. You could easily turn a WWII into a WWI fps, change the look of the guns, change some of the flavor text and voice acting, and boom. You've got a WWI fps. The games aren't historically accurate anyway, and they wouldn't be fun at all if they were. Westwood Studios realized this when they made Command and Conquer: Red Alert. You play games to escape from reality, because reality is not fun, especially not the reality of war.

If you really want a new genre of fps you need to move in a new direction like Portal. However, if you like the tired old war fpses, and you just want to spice up the theme a bit, I recommend adding more fiction to the historical fiction. Harry Turtledove style if you know what I mean.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • And why wouldn't those missions you've named as example be possible in a WWII FPS?
    Because a lot of the battles in WW2 weren't in the trenches.
    Bingo.
    Exit trench. Get killed by machine gun. Hooray.
    Or...
    Get machine gun. Shoot guy who exits trench. Repeat.
    Back to my original point...
    but they would have to raise the survival rate up a bunch.
  • On the topic of Historical shooters; If I remember correctly, Dave Riley said something like: a shooter in the 13th century, one bar is your health bar, the other is your plague bar.
  • Because a lot of the battles in WW2 weren't in the trenches.
    I think I made my point about historical accuracy not being present anyway. You think the WWII games are accurate to WWII? You could probably take most WWII games, just change the label to WWI, and most people wouldn't know the difference.
  • edited October 2007
    The jump in technology from WWI to WWII is huge. WWI was a more "unit based" war with battle lines and trenches while WWII was more squad based. It just would not work on an FPS level.

What would work is a fighter plane game set in WWI. If you have ever played the "board" game Wings of War you will understand. The original game was based on WWI planes and each plane flies different, some more so than others. They made a WWII version of the game and there is a lot less diversity in the way the planes fly.

You want to take the FPS in a whole new direction? How about the Ender's Game FPS? Remember when they would do their battle training inside a zero-G sphere?

Think how different it would be if you were playing an FPS with there is no gravity, no up or down. Even the 3D FPS games do not take into account the full nature of 3D. As far as we have come since Doom it is still is a gravity based game where everyone is standing on the same plane. What if you had a TF2 type game where players could come at you from above as well as below? Now that is the next stage of FPS evolution.

(I think Descent worked on this principle.)
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on

• Think how different it would be if you were playing an FPS with there is no gravity, no up or down. Even the 3D FPS games do not take into account the full nature of 3D. As far as we have come since Doom it is still is a gravity based game where everyone is standing on the same plane. What if you had a TF2 type game where players could come at you from above as well as below? Now that is the next stage of FPS evolution.
    No, it's not any sort of evolution at all. We already have had many mods to existing human-based fpses with differing amounts of gravity. From way too much gravity (Ricochet), not enough gravity (Unreal Tournament), walking on walls (Natural Selection), etc. I remember back in the day when Counter-Strike server admins would turn the gravity down effectively making moon-mode CS. If you make an fps with no gravity whatsoever, it becomes a freespace shooter, a genre that is older than the fps. It's definitely not new.
  • I missed out on those days of FPS gaming and stand corrected.
  • I used to play on this CS:S server that was pretty neat. The gravity was normal, but all the objects in the level are sort of free floating. Like in office you could shoot a filing cabinet and it would just float down the hallway. It added an interesting element of strategy since if they hit someone it would usually push them back, or at least imped their movement somewhat. And when you died your gun would just float in the air.
  • They made a WWI game for the 360. Surprise. It sucked.
  • They made a WWI game for the 360. Surprise. It sucked.
    What was it called, and why did it suck?
  • I heard it was based on Joe's experiences in the war.
    You talking about the French Revolution?
    See the boy with the pistols? Yeah, that's Joe.
    Goddammit! I am not old and I wasn't a tommy in the blighty trenches! Unless the game is about the King's Own Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps, it has nothing to do with what I saw in the war.
    See the boy with the pistols? Yeah, that's Joe.
    So? What's your point? Yeah, I was pissed off. Everyone was.

I think people are right about WW II having more to do as far as gaming. Also, It is much less ambiguous morality-wise and it has the best villainous enemy of all. Those Viet Nam shooters weren't very good, and I don't expect a Korean War shooter would be very good either. They've even had what is basically an Iraq shooter called First to Fight. It was tres crappy. Face it. WW II was just the coolest war EVAH.
  • edited October 2007
    How about the United States Civil War?

Load musket... shoot... take 60 seconds to reload... repeat.

I'm kind if surprised that there hasn't been a really good submarine simulator for some time now. Maybe there just isn't enough action in a "stealth" environment. I remember playing "Wolf Pack." That was a pretty cool game.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • How about the United States Civil War?

They have one. It sux.
  • I'm kind if surprised that there hasn't been a really good submarine simulator for some time now. Maybe there just isn't enough action in a "stealth" environment. I remember playing "Wolf Pack." That was a pretty cool game.
    The Silent Hunter Series is a quality sub simulator franchise. I played Silent Hunter III a lot a while back.
  • I'm kind if surprised that there hasn't been a really good submarine simulator for some time now. Maybe there just isn't enough action in a "stealth" environment. I remember playing "Wolf Pack." That was a pretty cool game.
    The Silent Hunter Series is a quality sub simulator franchise. I played Silent Hunter III a lot a while back.
    Even though I never played this game, I know Rym is going to say it. In order to beat him to the punch I will say Hunt for Red October for the Game Boy.
  • WWI FPS could be great. Think of the trench fighting! Some of those main trenches were ridiculously huge!! It is a misunderstood war. Plus, it helps get away from everyone running around with automatic weapons, and possibly rely more heavily on hand to hand combat after a round or two of bolt action rifle fire. Plenty of special ops missions could be done. It could be like going back to medal of honor series for WWI.
  • Meiji era Japan would be kind of awesome. Like shogun but with better graphics and much bigger battles. Sans giant crabs also..
  • How about the United States Civil War?

They have one. It sux.
    They have another one. It doesn't suck.
    Actually, it's a HL1 (and HL2, too) mod, and it's not quite as bad as joe put it but it does take a significant amount of time to reload. And those muskets are very VERY inaccurate.
    It was a lot of fun back when I played it with a bunch of friends, partly because there were some ridiculous kills (headshot across half the map when you were aiming at another player o_0) and partly because it was a lot less dangerous to get up close and try to kill someone with your knife than it is in other FPS's.
    Oh, and it has some battlefield-esque gameplay, too (i.e. you have to "conquer" flags and there are multiple classes).
  • I wonder what would happen if someone tried to actually simulate the trauma of war in game form. As in people (civilians included) having parts of their body blown off and your enemies screaming and writhing in pain when you shoot them (And twitching feet. Gotta have twitching feet.)
  • I wonder what would happen if someone tried to actually simulate the trauma of war in game form. As in people (civilians included) having parts of their body blown off and your enemies screaming and writhing in pain when you shoot them (And twitching feet. Gotta have twitching feet.)

Watching Saving Private Ryan above 110 Decibels is a good simulation of the experience (I'd wager).
    Soldier of Fortune does this.
  • edited October 2007
    I always thought soldier of fortune was meant to be funny..
    Well not funny but the super action kind of thing.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I always thought soldier of fortune was meant to be funny..
    Well not funny but the super action kind of thing.
    In a dark way, sometimes. But it still shows the suffering of your enemies with limbs flying everywhere and such.
  • I've sometimes wondered why they don't make one on Canada's hundred days though the cynic in me says that's because a game that has Canada as the primary combatant wouldn't have many buyers around the world... though I suppose that it could focus on the other battles, as few as they are in that time period, though there was only one US battle in that time period, but that game largely doesn't rely on the idea of trench warfare as tanks were already in production and used by the allies.
  • I've sometimes wondered why they don't make one onCanada's hundred daysthough the cynic in me says that's because a game that has Canada as the primary combatant wouldn't have many buyers around the world...
    Yeah, unfortunately, such a game would be a comedy goldmine for all the gaming press out there. Few outside of Canada know about Canada's contributions in both World Wars.