This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Will the PS3 price drop help it catch up?

edited October 2007 in Video Games
A few days ago I was doing some research on Orange Box and sales numbers over on VGChartz. I pulled the following graph of the three big console sales data synced by launch date:

After I posted it I saw a lot of people talking on forums and the like about it and it got me to thinking.

The 360 essentialy had a year to run unoppossed. The 360 still has a lot of problems with it (red ring of death). Even when the 360 ran with the full pack last Christmas both the PS3 and Wii were in short supply while there were always plenty of 360s available.

This coming Christmas Nintendo has already said that they will not have enough Wiis but that does not matter. The Wii is in a class by itself and has no real bearing on this discussion. Yeah, 360 outsold Wii last month due in part to Halo 3 but that is just one month. Overall the Wii is dominating.

Sony is now releasing cheaper PS3s (without PS2 chips, bastards!) and $499 for an 80GB PS3/Blu-ray player is not that bad of a deal! You would be paying $449 for the 360 Elite without the HD-DVD player.

I honestly think the PS3 will do good this year (at least those with the PS2 chips). It will not do as good as the Wii but who will? Besides, I have not heard of any "my PS3 died" stories to the degree that I hear them about the 360. When people tell you they are not going to play their 360 for a month or more before Halo 3 comes out to insure their 360 will not die before then is pretty telling.

Comments

• I think the PS3 has been doing fairly well, it's just seems to not be selling well. I mean looking at that graph sort of proves that, seeing how its basically been selling as well as the 360 did. I'm fairly certain that it has been selling better then the PS2 did when it was first released.
  • They'll have to wait for some games. But what games are they getting other than the Metal Gears?
  • The problem still stands that if I buy a PS3, what am I going to play?
    I'm fairly certain that it has been selling better then the PS2 did when it was first released.
    Really? I thought the PS3 was stupid popular when it came out. Can we get the PS2 overlay on that chart as well?
  • The problem still stands that if I buy a PS3, what am I going to play?
    I'm fairly certain that it has been selling better then the PS2 did when it was first released.
    Really? I thought the PS3 was stupid popular when it came out. Can we get the PS2 overlay on that chart as well?
    I tried but the script that generates the data crashed on me. I wanted to do a chart for each console Wii vs. Game Cube, Xbox vs. 360, etc...
  • I will definatelly will get a PS3
    In 2011 :P
  • They'll have to wait for some games. But what games are they getting other than the Metal Gears?

You're right. This fall will be great if you really want one, Ratchet, Warhawk and Uncharted, but until 2008 when MGS4, Killzone, Final Fantasy and White Knight Story come out it's gonna be a long wait if you're looking to buy one. The price would help, but it will never ever get above the 360/Wii. I'm a Sony fan, but let's face it, they've fucked themselves.
  • I look back at the marketing and this is what I remember:

Xbox 360 Marketing - Check it out bitches, teabag your buddies on Xbox Live! Plays all the old games and the new games! Yeah, it plays DVDs too!

Wii Marketing - Check it out, You can bowl! It's a vigi game system even your grandparents will love! Wii Sports baby!!!

PS3 Marketing - This is the ultimate machine. It's got Blu-ray. It's HD!!!!

Xbox 360 reality - Red Ring of Death!!!

Wii reality - Where are the games?

PS3 reality - So, if I don't want to watch movies (or have an HDTV) why should I buy this?

Both the 360 and the Wii were hyping the game play value of their systems while Sony was hyping an over priced media system (PSP anyone) with almost no mention of using it as a gaming console. The 360 is HD but you almost never hear it mentioned, the 360 is all about Xbox Live.

The PS3 needs more than games it needs to decide if it wants to be a game console (put those PS2 chips back in) or a Blu-ray player.

• Xbox 360 reality - Red Ring of Death!!!
    Meh, it's mostly fixed.
    Wii reality - Where are the games?
    They're coming, starting now.
    PS3 reality - So, if I don't want to watch movies (or have an HDTV) why should I buy this?
  • Besides, I have not heard of any "my PS3 died" stories to the degree that I hear them about the 360.
    Thaed mentioned something about this on his Over 40 Gamer podcast. Something along the lines of "The PS3 is build to last" and the XBox 360 is *superlong train passes*. I mean, a friend of my little brother brought his 360 over one night and it kept stalling. His reason was "It's too cold here" when it was a normal 21 degrees Celcius in the room. I found it to be warm even. I think the PS3 will sell a bit more. The chart HMTKSteve put up also shows it's actually doing just as good as the 360. Okay, it started slower, but at that point *points to the rapid raise in the curve* a game came out people wanted. And now it has arrived at the price drop. I think it'll do as the 360 and sell a lot. Perhaps not the same increase as the 360, but a similar curve most likely.
  • I find that the best way to watch HD content is with a computer and bittorent provided you have the time to download big files. I prefer looking at a laptop screen and don't want to pay that much to go from 720 to 1080.
  • The Wii outsaleing everything isn't surprising. Everyone and their mother bought one, just like the DS. Most people who we would consider "gamers" got the 360 so they could have their Maddens and their Halos. But, people who enjoy playing games could have any of the systems, including a PC.

For the record, I hate the "360 vs. PS3" war thing. It's stupid. At this point, the systems are different enough that it caters to different types of gamers. The 360 is great for people who enjoy online play, because online play is easy to use. The Wii is great for people who... I guess, don't want to play "regular" games, I don't know. The PS3 *(at least for now) is for the Sony fanboys, so they can have their Metal Gears, and their "above-9" Final Fantasies, and their Ridge Racers.

I have a 360 because when I wanted a new system, it was out, and I had an Xbox. The balance of games (for me at least) is balanced enough that I enjoy it, (Mass Effect, Halo, Dynasty Warriors (shut up, I like 'em) and the Live Arcade games) and am never without a thing to play. And know that Guitar Hero is on it, I have almost now reason to play my PS2 anymore, except for the NIS RPG games.
  • Speaking of games, the only one I have my sights on other than MGS4 is Devil May Cry 4. I think it's the only other important game coming out. Is Assassin's Creed exclusive to the 360?

And, has anyone seen the teaser for Street Fighter 3? No announcement on what platforms that games going to come out on either . . .
  • Strangely enough, I think Rock Band is going to help the PS3. It's a multi-platform release, but it's going to play the same on both systems. Why buy it for the Xbox if you might red ring out and then you're missing a couple weeks of gaming. No one wants a PS3 to play PS2 games anyway. Everyone probably already has a PS2. The price drop will help.

I like my PS3, but I don't play as many games on it as I do the Xbox. I posted about my red ring experience. I'm going through the life support motions now to get it to keep playing, but it's only a matter of time before I have to send it back.

For me, it's an easy choice: buy all multi-platform games for the PS3.

Now, that being said, what system have I been playing almost non-stop? The DS.
  • I'm actually going to buy a PS3 together with my brother soon-ish (i.e. as long as the 60GB ones with the PS2 chip are still cheap on ebay), and I'm very hard-pressed to actually find a game that I want to buy.

Basically, I'll be waiting for Ratchet & Clank, Littlebigplanet and Rock Band, and get a bunch of PS2 games at gamestop...

I really do hope the PS3 catches up with the 360 eventually, and I think it will, if only because the games will look prettier and possibly be bigger due to Bluray-Discs having so much storage.
  • For me, it's an easy choice: buy all multi-platform games for the PS3.
    I actually have the opposite thought when it comes to multi-platform games, which is get them for 360. But that is mostly, because I know a lot more people who have 360s. So if I want to play something multiplayer, my best chance to is going to be on the 360.
  • No one wants a PS3 to play PS2 games anyway.
    I concur. Backwards compatibility is entirely over-rated. If you care, then you already own a PS2. Why pay for something you already have?
    I concur. Backwards compatibility is entirely over-rated. If you care, then you already own a PS2. Why pay for something you already have?
    I disagree. I like knowing that I can put a GC game into my Wii and just play it. I do not want multiple consoles sucking up valuable real estate inside my house.

How often do I play the GC games? Not as often as I used to.
    I disagree. I like knowing that I can put a GC game into my Wii and just play it. I do not want multiple consoles sucking up valuable real estate inside my house.

How often do I play the GC games? Not as often as I used to.
    Just a side note. The new price-cut low-end PS3 will not have backward compatibility. When they asked the Sony exec about it, he said that if you buy a low-end PS3 and a PS2 separately, it will cost you less than buying a high-end PS3.

That being said, it is very nice to only have a tiny Wii and a tiny Mac mini under the TV. Granted the slim PS2 is just as ludicrously small.
  • What game(s) gave the Xbox360 its jump in sales at weeks 50-56 ish ? Then, think about upcoming games for the PS3, would that match the game(s) that gave Xbox360 its sales jump ?
  • What game(s) gave the Xbox360 its jump in sales at weeks 50-56 ish ? Then, think about upcoming games for the PS3, would that match the game(s) that gave Xbox360 its sales jump ?
    That bump was Christmas '06.

I'm workng up another article on this right now.

Weekly Sales synced by launch date.
  •  
    There is no real reason to be "tied" to only one console. If it is exclusives you are worried about, it really only comes down to a handful of 1st party games. Most games will eventually be available on both consoles (360, and PS3). I'm sure the price drop will help the PS3 this holiday season, it sure has me thinking about deciding between getting a 360 or a PS3.
    Now, that being said, what system have I been playing almost non-stop? The DS.

Same thing with me, not even the Wii has been getting as much play time as my DS.
  • Just a side note. The new price-cut low-end PS3 will not have backward compatibility. When they asked the Sony exec about it, he said that if you buy a low-end PS3 and a PS2 separately, it will cost you less than buying a high-end PS3.

That being said, it is very nice to only have a tiny Wii and a tiny Mac mini under the TV. Granted the slim PS2 is just as ludicrously small.
    That combination doesn't get you 20 gigs of storage, 2 USB ports and a card reader on your PS3 though.
    Of course, you could add all of those (not sure about the storage, does the PS3 accept USB storage?) for maybe less than a high-end PS3 (still keeping a PS2 in the equation), but it would get you a lot more wires and probably another power adapter/brick for your USB hub if you want to charge your controllers.

Also, I wouldn't be upset if there still was a high-end PS3 (in Germany, I gather in the US both the 60GB and the 80GB varieties are still available), but Sony is leaving gamers (over here at least) no choice but buy the 40GB version... well, and ebay, but that is not Sony's decision.
  • edited October 2007
    Strangely enough, I think Rock Band is going to help the PS3. It's a multi-platform release, but it's going to play the same on both systems. Why buy it for the Xbox if you might red ring out and then you're missing a couple weeks of gaming.
    1) Achievements.
    2) (Way) less cumbersome online play.
    No one wants a PS3 to play PS2 games anyway.
    Because, like Steve said, some people have enough junk cluttering their living rooms already. My entertainment center's stuffed to the brim with the Saturn, Dreamcast, Cablebox, Receiver, PS3, 360, etc. Every system I DON'T need to have there helps. What's more, who's got the inputs for all these things? I've got a pretty solid receiver and I still have to do a lot of finegaling to fit it all in.
    Post edited by Dave on
  • 1) Achievements.
    2) (Way) less cumbersome online play.
    I don't consider achievements a plus, but I wholeheartedly agree about the less cumbersome online play.
  • I'm still waiting for DVD playback to come to the Wii. I don't care that the Wii only does 480P, like Dave I'm out of inputs!
  • I'm still waiting for DVD playback to come to the Wii. I don't care that the Wii only does 480P, like Dave I'm out of inputs!
    The Wii will never do that. As much has practically been said. Nintendo looks at the WIi as a purely gaming machine.
    But never say never, I guess.
    The Wii will never do that. As much has practically been said. Nintendo looks at the WIi as a purely gaming machine.
    But never say never, I guess.
    WiiWare could do it :)
    Someone's working on it You need a modchipped Wii though...
  • WiiWare could do it :)
    I thought Nintendo said the current Wii model was incapable of playing DVDs even with a software patch. Whatever...I have a nice 5 disc changer so I don't much care about that feature. Oddly enough I have used my 360 once or twice for this purpose but that's because it was already on and the 360 is on top of the cabinet instead of inside behind glass.
    As for the Back compat of the PS3...that pretty much broke the deal for me. I would've picked one up if for no other reason than Ratchet once the price dropped below $400. But with no Back compat and the likelihood of Ratchet being the only game that interests me on the PS3 I've no reason to buy one. And for those wondering...Back compat is important to me because my PS2 is on it's last legs, being one of the original model it's starting to make odd noises and disk read errors now and then. Guess I'll have to pick up a slim PS2 once the price drops below $100.
    I don't consider achievements a plus, but I wholeheartedly agree about the less cumbersome online play.
    And being as I have a 360, that's where I'd get all my multi platform games primarily because of the achievements. Not necessarily for the gamer score which I really don't care about. More because they usually provide game play elements above and beyond the original game.

For instance Portal. I would've played that a couple times and poked around a bit but the achievements made me WANT to figure out the challenges and things and resulted in me putting in a good 20-30 hours in my 4 day rental playing the crap out of that game. That's the value of the achievement system. It gives the developers a way to say "hey look at this" without taking away from the main action. Those that don't care can play the game through and resell it or whatever. Those that want a little more can look at the achievements and try some tricky maneuvers or try to find an area that you wouldn't notice on your average run through the game.