This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071023 - Apples to Apples

2»

Comments

• This game sounds really interesting, I'll have to order it from Amazon next time I buy stuff.
  • This game sounds is really interesting, I'll have to order it from Amazon next time I buy stuff immediately.
     There, I fixed your typos for you.
  • edited October 2007
    This gamesoundsisreally interesting, I'll have to order it from Amazonnext time I buy stuffimmediately.
    There, I fixed your typos for you.
    Thanks I tend to do things like that.
    Post edited by mattytehhax0r on
  • Apreche,

Were you able to get Big Idea in before the weekend to play with the Visigoths? Just curious to see if you were able to check it out yet.
  • Apreche,

Were you able to get Big Idea in before the weekend to play with the Visigoths? Just curious to see if you were able to check it out yet.
    No :( It should be here soon though.
  • The best hand ever in my playing of Apples to Apples:
    Attack on Pearl Harbor
    Hawaii
    Japanese
    Hiroshima -1945
    Me and my friends lol'd so hard for ten minutes.
  • Me and my friends lol'd so hard for ten minutes.
    I'm loling now just reading that.
  • Oh Apples to Apples, how I love thee.

And the custom cards are almost always epic win.
  • I just bought it as a present to the whole family. Hopefully it will be an epic win.
  • edited December 2007
    Just played a couple of games of Apples to Apples this weekend with the In-laws. We had a blast! My father-in-law would get so into it when it seemed liked the worst answer possible was chosen as the winner (he's a lawyer).

We don't really play right, though. We like to have people make a case as to why their card best describes the chosen word. This can be fun and adds to the creativity, but also adds frustration and silliness.

I think I started a rift when i judged that the "Hillary Clinton" card best describes the word "phony"
    Post edited by bodtchboy on
  • Best xmas game ever. It's true
  • Just listening to this episode now. My mum is after a new party game and keeps suggesting Pass the Bomb, which I don't want to play because I'm not too strong with words, especially when under pressure. As a counter to that I suggested this game as I had read about it in a newspaper supplement that listed the top 50 games and this was in it. (As was Pass the Bomb)
    Seems like a great party game and there is an British version too, so it wouldn't be like another game we have that has loads of American based questions.
    In short I look forward to playing this game in the future, we could have a new party game to rival Scattergories.
  • Speaking of party games, a quick and easy one I like to play (mostly because we can just end it when I get bored), is Visualeyes. It is like Boggle, but uses pictures instead of letters. You have to use at least 2 dice to make a commonly understood verb, noun, phrase, ect. IE. a die shows a picture of some water and another die shows a picture of a hole. You can make the common phrase/wording of "holy water" or "water hole". I like it, but other games like Apples to Apples and Talking Tango are always desired by other players more.

Also, has anyone played Red Dragon Inn? It's not quite a party game (4 player game), but it's fun and can feel like a party. They're coming out with an expansion which will extend it to 8 players. Check it out on www.boardgamegeek.com
  • edited December 2007
    I got this for my friends and I to enjoy. We're going to play it tonight. ^_^ Based on what I heard I think this is going to be fun!

Edit for later: Tried it. Loved it and we wrote on the blank cards. Heh.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Ooh, I love Apples to Apples. We never play to a set limit of green cards - we just keep playing until we get sick of it or have to end the party, and then whoever has the most wins (or sometimes we don't even count).

I've gotten some pretty good cards. My first time playing was at AnimeNext, and Japan was my trump card. Oh yeah. "Suspicious carnival workers" was my first play ever, and I won. Playing with a write-able card entitled "Cthulhu" was funny. But yeah, it's all about catering to whoever the judge is. (Ugly Tom Cruise for my guy friend, Dreamy Victorian England for moi, a Count Cain fan). Long running inside jokes have also been made from Apples to Apples: "The Far Left" lol.
  • I bought Apples to Apples on Saturday. It should be here sometime this week, and my crew, The Goombas, will hopefully have a blast.