This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPod FM transmitters

edited October 2007 in Technology

I was wondering if anyone out there had any good recommendations for a FM transmitter to listen to my iPod in my car. I've borrowed a couple of transmitters from my friends, but those sounded like crap.

Comments

• They don't work. The best solution so far is to use a cassette input if you have a tape deck.
  • Yeah, my car only has CD and no mp3 support, which I find very strange. My old car had no factory stereo so I installed one which had a direct line input for anything and that worked great, but I don't want to do that with this car because it is just going to get stolen.
  • The FM transmitters do work, but poorly. Just as poorly as the cassette thingy. If you're going to get one of those, just pick one, they're all the same. Seriously though, the direct input is the way to go. If your stereo doesn't have one, Best Buy has car stereo units with input holes for like $100. I don't think someone is going to steal the shittiest car stereo available.

Personally I shelled out the cash to buy a special thing for my car. It connects to the car stereo in the hole that is used to connect external CD changers. It basically makes my car think that the iPod is a CD changer. This is great because the audio is perfect, and I can control the iPod with the controls on my steering wheel.
  • I have an FM transmitter from Ccrane. It isn't cheap, but there is a very simple hack that significantly increases the power of the unit. I can use it all over my house and in the backyard.
  • The real problem with FM transmitters is saturation distortion.  An overly "loud" signal, particularly at higher frequences, will introduce horrible distortion.  Actual radio compensates for this, but your mp3 files do not.  Most often, it will sound like static that occurs whenever someone speaks or sings a sibilant syllable, and it will be more pronounced when the air is humid.  GeekNights is particularly prone to this, as we air at a higher quality than standard FM radio allows for.
    There are two ways to minimize the problem.  First, lower the volume on your iPod (assuming an analogue-based transmitter) and compensate with the volume on your car stereo.  This will reduce the saturation and give you more headroom.  Second, equalize your music to dampen the sibilant range.
  • I don't think someone is going to steal the shittiest car stereo available.
    You'll be surprised, my old car had one of those $100 Best Buy stereos, and it got stolen, not only that but right in front of my house. My stereo before that was the shittiest, oldest stereo you could find, the screen didn't even work and there was a CD stuck inside and of course it got stolen.
  • I don't think someone is going to steal the shittiest car stereo available.

You'll be surprised, my old car had one of those $100 Best Buy stereos, and it got stolen, not only that but right in front of my house. My stereo before that was the shittiest, oldest stereo you could find, the screen didn't even work and there was a CD stuck inside and of course it got stolen.

Wow, what if you got one of those removable faceplate stereos? So when you leave your car it looks like you don't even have a stereo in there.