This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Reciva Internet Radio

edited October 2007 in Technology
Has anyone ever heard of Reciva radio? It's a pretty cool concept for someone like me who lives in a rural area. The only problem is the price. It's hard to justify.

Here's how it works. You buy a special radio that works with Reciva. The radios are about $280-$350. (What's that, about 25 Euros now?) Reciva archives all of the internet radio stations. You download the list of stations onto your radio, and play whatever you want. The list of stations is pretty impressive. They've got commercial stations (WABC, CJAD, etc) as well as Voice of America, BBC, and internet-only stations. There is no fee for the service.

The only problem is that you can just as easily get this stuff on your computer. Since I've got an FM transmitter for the rest of the house, the only thing this saves me is the hassle of going to the computer room to tune the radio. (It also works with the computer turned off.) A cool concept, but pretty hard to justify the price.

Comments

• I think I heard about something like this on one of Leo's podcasts (Tech Guy maybe?). Sounds cool, but the price is a bit too steep. I think you should stick with the FM transmitter.
  • edited October 2007
    Here is a good article from the New York Times describing internet radio boxes. Looks like Reciva is just one company that keeps a database of internet stations for use with these radios.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • If the iPod touch/iPhone actually had the software to fulfill the potential of its built-in wifi, things like this wouldn't even be a concern.
  • Looks like wi-fi radio is about to get a whole lot cheaper.
  • Looks like wi-fi radio is about to geta whole lot cheaper.
    10,000 stations through a dedicated portal. Walled Garden. Won't work in the subway or on the train where wifi does not exist. Useless.
  • Won't work in the subway or on the train where wifi does not exist. Useless.
    That plus ample local storage for said situations plus "tear down this wall" equals pretty awesome.
  • edited November 2007
    Wifi is only good for the downloading, not the streaming at present. Really what is needed is a change in attitudes away from DRM and Streaming so technology can get a move on.
    P.S. What's the BBC like in America? I wouldn't think Americans would much like Chris Moyles.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • What's the BBC like in America? I wouldn't think Americans would much like Chris Moyles.
    The BBC World Service is my primary source of news.
  • I'm just looking for something that I can use at home. I've got my IPod for outside of the home. This will allow me to stream audio via my home wi-fi in any room.
  • I'm just looking for something that I can use at home. I've got my IPod for outside of the home. This will allow me to stream audio via my home wi-fi in any room.
    Or um, you can network your stereo. How many stereos do you have?
  • How many stereos do you have?
    Four. But I also like how I can use this in the yard.
  • How many stereos do you have?
    Four. But I also like how I can use this in the yard.
    Too many.