This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fear

edited October 2007 in Everything Else
Alright every few weeks I seem to be watching the news and asking myself why the states are so afraid of Cuba, and I think I've managed to figure it out, and this is after talking with one of my American friends what they thought (which was that she thought they weren't afraid of Cuba but I'll come back to that) and considered everything that I've seen. The only conclusion that I come up with is that they aren't afraid of Cuba, but rather that they're just afraid, and their on a constant search for something new (or rather in addition too) to be afraid of. Now I'm not just saying this because their fear of Cuba seems to be rather baseless (even more so when compared to a country like China) but one example is the the US is afraid of Canada over a Myth but I'm sure I'd hear someone saying that Canadians would be just as fearful, but that nothing happens here, but I have a big problem with that bloody idea. I'm sure I could find someone who would tell me it's because Canada doesn't have the CIA or some other group telling us about how we're all doomed, and maybe I'll laugh at them. Or perhaps because Canada has never come been attacked on it's homeland since leaving Britain by another state. Could it be as some would contest that Canada doesn't have it's own warrior traditions though I have often heard the claim that Canada hides behind strong nations so they can only do the easy jobs. Though at the end of this I'm sill left with the question of why are they all so afraid of other people? Perhaps it has something to do with their school system, tendency towards revisionist history and geocentric leanings. Perhaps it's because I'm not from the states, or maybe I just being stupid. Any thoughts from the wild blue yonders out there, is there something basic that I'm just looking over?

Comments

• Americans aren't afraid of Canada. We love it, and go there to get beer and to avoid the draft. Nobody is afraid of Cuba either. The government is just stubborn and refuses to associate with Fidel. The vast majority of the fear that you see is probably just political(think McCarthy), and crazy people who overreact to everything they encounter.
  • Paragraph breaks please.
  • edited October 2007
    There was that recent story on Digg about how if you want to become a dictatorial state a good way to go about it would be to invent a foreign enemy and give yourself powers to defend against both the enemy and your own people.
    Though, on the other hand, this idea is nothing new. Most famously noted in "1984" by George Orwell and probably going back some way further.
    "1942"? Collaboration of Orwell and Adams
    That said, it would be the way to do it.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Paragraph breaks please.

Agreed. I would, too. :) I didn't even finish and assume this is a thread about shit that scares you.
  • edited October 2007
    I don't think that helps much.

Alright every few weeks I seem to be watching the news and asking myself why the states are so afraid of Cuba, and I think I've managed to figure it out, and this is after talking with one of my American friends what they thought (which was that she thought they weren't afraid of Cuba but I'll come back to that) and considered everything that I've seen.
    The only conclusion that I come up with is that they aren't afraid of Cuba, but rather that they're just afraid, and their on a constant search for something new (or rather in addition too) to be afraid of.

Now I'm not just saying this because their fear of Cuba seems to be rather baseless (even more so when compared to a country like China) but one example is the the US is afraid of Canada over a Myth but I'm sure I'd hear someone saying that Canadians would be just as fearful, but that nothing happens here, but I have a big problem with that bloody idea.
    I'm sure I could find someone who would tell me it's because Canada doesn't have the CIA or some other group telling us about how we're all doomed, and maybe I'll laugh at them, or perhaps because Canada has never come been attacked on it's homeland since leaving Britain by another state.

Could it be, as some would contest, that Canada doesn't have it's own warrior traditions though I have often heard the claim that Canada hides behind strong nations so they can only do the easy jobs.

Though at the end of this I'm sill left with the question of why are they all so afraid of other people? Perhaps it has something to do with their school system, tendency towards revisionist history and geocentric leanings.

Perhaps it's because I'm not from the states, or maybe I just being stupid. Any thoughts from the wild blue yonders out there, is there something basic that I'm just looking over?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Canada's good. Freed the soil I'm standing on.
  • There was that recent story on Digg about how if you want to become a dictatorial state a good way to go about it would be to invent a foreign enemy and give yourself powers to defend against both the enemy and your own people. Though, on the other hand, this idea is nothing new. Most famously noted in "1984" by George Orwell and probably going back some way further. "1942"? Collaboration of Orwell and Adams That said, it would be the way to do it.

That's true, but at the same time I rather doubt Canada will become that enemy.