This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who SPOILER

edited October 2007 in Everything Else
Is anyone on here watching the new Doctor Who series?

I caught an episode this weekend on BBC America and I have to know if they are showing news shows or reruns. I only ask because it left off on a cliff hanger and I'd rather not wait until next weekend and possibly miss it.

Comments

• I've watched all three seasons. What was the flick hanger? - if you tell me I'll let you know if the next episode already aired.

PS - might want to add spoiler alert to the title.
  • They are on a planet orbiting a blackhole and some pit demon has just woken up. That and the local Mindflayer looking guys are about to attack.
  • edited October 2007
    Yep, there's episodes beyond that. In fact there's a whole other season after this one available.
    Post edited by zombie a gogo on
  • BBC America is showing old shows.

There will be a brand-new Christmas special, and then the next season will begin in the spring.
  • Looks like I'll be adding this one to my NetFlix!
  • It's one of the most torrented shows, FWIW.
  • I have watched all three series and I have decided to go all out and get each of the DVDs, I am saying starting from the classic series. I have the beginning collection and it is awesome. One can see how the Doctor's character have change through time thanks to his travels and companions.
  • edited August 2009
    Very big spoiler here it show the trailer for the last dr who at chrismas i dont now how too link i think ive done it. the trailer show you the the 2 villens in the dr who (the master),(and i think the devil things back).
    Post edited by maxhaworth on
  • edited August 2009
    To link, either use the HTML standard a href tag, or press the button with the globe and chain link above the comment box. Example:
    Doctor Who: The End of Time (Comic Con Trailer)
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Thank you. :)
  • edited November 2009
    Yesterday I watched "The Waters of Mars" Special. I believe this Special would have worked better if it were transmited during Christmas Halloween since it was kind of scary. I personally really enjoyed this special, in my opinion it was way better than the last two specials. It also leads the way for this current incarnation of the Doctor's final adventure. At the end you might see glimpses of what the Doctor is afraid of becoming by doing something he has never though he could do before.
    I would definately give it a watch, and I would definately buy it once it is released here.

Edited :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • "The Waters of Mars" is out? I know what I will be watching tonight.
  • I second that.
  • Thanks. I didn't have this on automatic torrenting via RSS, so I wouldn't have realised it was out without the warning.
  • Yes! I will be watching this very soon!
  • I watched the animated one about the ancient starship (it was ok) via Netflix and I caught the one about the bus and the wormhole. Is it just me or was that one crappy?
  • Well, in my opinion "The planet of the Dead" was kind of crappy. However, it has it moments. I personally enjoyed the end when the Doctor made the bus fly, and how the Doctor defies all obstacles in order to save the remaining people on the Bus.
    The previous Christmas special was basically a forshadowing of what will happen to the 10th Doctor.
  • We saw "The Waters of Mars" last night.
    I enjoyed the special overall, but the "change" in the Doctor's outlook happened far too abruptly for my taste.
    Also, the preview for the next special got me all geek-cited!
  • I personally enjoyed how the Doctor "changed" at the end. Oh I liked the crazy ways of the "Victorius Timelord"!
  • It's "Time Lord victorious", fool! I have to agree with Kate, though - the change was excessive.
  • It's "Time Lord victorious", fool! I have to agree with Kate, though - the change was excessive.
    I am fine with the "change", my bigger problem was how abruptly and almost without cause he changed. It was such a 180 that there should have been greater build up to it.
  • It's obviously a setup to the new Doctor. I agree, though, that it seemed quite abrupt. That's the problem with these sporadic specials.
  • edited November 2009
    I am fine with the "change", my bigger problem was how abruptly and almost without cause he changed.
    Sorry, I should've said excessive given the short period of time.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I am not sure if it was that abruptly, I mean it has being building up inside him ever since the Time Wars, I believe we all saw a glimpse of that on "The Runaway Bride". On "The fires of Pompeii" the Doctor was able to do what he was suppose to do thanks to Donna. I think in a moment stressful enough and without anyone to hold him back he is able to change pretty drastically.
  • I am not sure if it was that abruptly, I mean it has being building up inside him ever since the Time Wars, I believe we all saw a glimpse of that on "The Runaway Bride". On "The fires of Pompeii" the Doctor was able to do what he was suppose to do thanks to Donna. I think in a moment stressful enough and without anyone to hold him back he is able to change pretty drastically.
    If you go back to the first new season, he is still grappling with the fallout from the Time Wars. I think after not having a companion to ground him these past few months, he started to question why he should follow the rules if there was no one around to stop him. I don't think it was abrupt as much as after seeing so much he couldn't keep from happening (Time War, Davros, The Master) he finally got tired of letting it happen.
  • I'm with jlawson70. The sadness of 'not being able to do anything' because of some rules set by a ruling body that doesn't exist any longer finally got to the Doctor. He finally realized that he is the law now and can do as he pleases... of course that will backfire miserably.
  • Exactly! All the new series was leading up to this self discovery. Then he realized he went to far. It was like seeing a child who learned why his parent said not to go to that part of the woods. Danger lied there.

I think the reason he didn't just walk away was the influence of Donna. Notice how the Pompeii episode was referenced. Same situation that was fixed in time and people had to die. In this case this particular person had to die. In the end it did happen, but not the way that was intended.

So, was anyone else sad watching this episode. The part when he was walking away and he could her the panic and despair of everyone got to me. So did the part went the became "Time Lord Victorious." It was like he put on the black spider suit and became someone I hated. Or course it wouldn't stick after what happened later in that scene. It made me sad nonetheless. The water monster are kinda creepy. I don't like the wet look and their mouths.

All in all I loved this episode. I thought it was great writing.
  • One thought that came up at work last night. Consider that The Doctor lost his entire race in the Time War, yet two of his fiercest enemies (The Master and Davros) were able to survive it. Although they later "died", it had to be painful to see them alive when others like Aric and Astrid (from Voyage of the Damned) died and on an emotional level he lost Rose and Donna. Surrounded by things he by all rights should not have survived but did, it can push even The Doctor over the edge.
  • Yesterday, I watch "The City of Death" with Tom Baker as the fourth incarnation of "The Doctor" and his companion Romana II (Lalla Ward). It was a good story, I personally enjoy it and I have a better appreciation of David Tennant's acting. There are so many little things he got from Tom Baker, specially the way his incarnation of the Doctor says "Oh wel, blah blah blah." I also liked how the story was ablel to close all the loose ends at the end and how it lead the way to "The most important punch in the history of the world".
    It was definately a good watch, I would definately recommend to any new Doctor Who fan that wants to know a little bit more of how the Doctor was before the Time War. My next watch is "The Curse of the Fenrir".
  • The Curse of Fenric
    That story is extraordinarily complex. Prepare to watch it several times.
    Surrounded by things he by all rights should not have survived but did, it can push even The Doctor over the edge.
    Plus there's the fact the Doctor traditionally has no respect for following the rules. But the Time Lords might have fixed any unforeseen problems he might have caused when they were around.
    I enjoyed the special overall, but the "change" in the Doctor's outlook happened far too abruptly for my taste.
    You definitely wouldn't like the Sixth Doctor. He did that sort of thing constantly.