This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I finally have a blog

RymRym
edited November 2007 in Everything Else
rym.frontrowcrew.com
Of course, there isn't much there yet.  I just made a few posts so that I could decide on a layout.

Comments

• *pokes the favicon* Looks nice.

Hmmm... To subscribe or not to subscribe, that's the question, and will result in also having to subscribe to Scott's blog if it is to subscribe. *ponders*
    Also, did you guys ever think about copyrighting as slogan the sentence: "I had infinite free-time and zero responsibility."? You use it often.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2007
    Oh snap, I'm actually writing in said blog, something I never managed even back when I did indeed have "infinite free-time and zero responsibility." ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Huh. Rym is surprisingly eloquent in writing. Don't know why I didn't expect it. Perhaps it's more that I didn't expect it to this degree. :P
  • Hmm, interesting.
  • Scott! Where be Scott? Is it me or can't I subscribe to your blog? I can't keep my word if I can't subscribe to your blog.
  • Scott! Where be Scott? Is it me or can't I subscribe to your blog? I can't keep my word if I can't subscribe to your blog.Type in "Apreche.net" into your Google Reader's "Add subscription" box.  If you're not using Google Reader, then:
  • Thanks Trogdor. Hmmmm, it works. I iz doin it rite!
  • Rym, your flicker is fucking awesome.

This is the best picture.
  • edited November 2007
    Rym, do you host your blog on frontrowcrew.com, or do you do some fancy-pants URL masking and host on Wordpress?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Rym, do you host your blog on frontrowcrew.com, or do you do some fancy-pants URL masking and host on Wordpress?
    Learn about DNS and virtual hosting.
  • Learn about DNS and virtual hosting.
    Didn't you guys do a show on that already?
  • Anyone who hosts their blog at www.mysite.com/blog is doing it wrong.
    What if it's on the same machine as www.mysite.com?
    Um, what's wrong with doing that?
  • You should host "extra" stuff on a subdomain. Rather than use site.com/blog you should use blog.site.com.

By using your DNS entry properly you can have that subdomain hosted on a different IP/server than your main site. You can't move site.com/blog to a different web server without screwing up all sorts of things and breaking every link headed to you on the web.

I imagine the reason the forums are in a subdirectory is because you set them up a long time ago before you had your own virtual server.
  • edited November 2007
    You should host "extra" stuff on a subdomain. Rather than use site.com/blog you should use blog.site.com.

By using your DNS entry properly you can have that subdomain hosted on a different IP/server than your main site. You can't move site.com/blog to a different web server without screwing up all sorts of things and breaking every link headed to you on the web.

I imagine the reason the forums are in a subdirectory is because you set them up a long time ago before you had your own virtual server.
    Um, we've had this server for a long time. Years in fact. It's not a "virtual" server, it's a real server. Well, it's user mode Linux, which is effectively the same. I am in complete control. I made the forums at frontrowcrew.com/forum because it makes semantic sense. A subdomain means something very specific. Your type of thinking shows a lack of understanding of DNS and web server configuration.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If my type of thinking is so wrong why did Rym use rym.frontrowcrew.com and not frontrowcrew.com/rym?
  • If my type of thinking is so wrong why did Rym use rym.frontrowcrew.com and not frontrowcrew.com/rym?I am a seperate entity which is a member of the domain frontrowcrew.com.  Anything related to me will be there, as rym.frontrowcrew.com/something.
  • I am in complete control.
    Do you control the vertical and the horizontal?
    Do you control the verticalandthe horizontal?
    Also, the diagonal.
  • edited November 2007
    I am in complete control. Do you control the verticalandthe horizontal?
    Post edited by xenomouse on
    Do you control the verticalandthe horizontal?
    <3 :)</p>
    *thumbs up*
  • edited November 2007
    Ahh, but does he control all that we see and hear?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Ahh, but does he control all that we see and hear?
    Nope, just the hearing part.
  • Rym, in regard to the "Happiness is a Warm Brick" article, didn't someone specifically write a rebuttal article in the next issue or two of GDT?
  • I am in complete control. Do you control the verticalandthe horizontal?Also, the diagonal.

No one can master the Z axis!!!
  • Anyone who doesn't get Joe's reference can go die in a fire.
  • The Outer Limits? That's what Google said... Not my thing.
  • Anyone who doesn't get Joe's reference can go die in a fire.
    Well I currently don't feel like burning myself ^^

Is there an actual technical background or does it just say Scott controls all (based on a coordinate system)?
    edited November 2007
    Anyone who doesn't get Joe's reference can go die in a fire.
    Well I currently don't feel like burning myself ^^

Is there an actual technical background or does it just say Scott controls all (based on a coordinate system)?
    Seconded. No burning me, hurts. Though he only controls all in a flat surface, and seeing as how the world is round he either has to give up local control to have control over me, or have no control over me! :D
    Post edited by ... on