This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Downloading Anime

edited May 2006 in Flamewars
I'm just curious as to what exactly every ones thoughts were on downloading anime. I feel that fansubs of non-liscenced shows that have like no chance of coming to America (like Yakitate Japan) are absolutely fine to download. Shows that are liscenced but have been overly edited and are like two years from catching up to the current story (Naruto and One Piece) I also feel are fine. Shows that are finished running and all out on dvd are more of a grey area, as the only reason not to but something like Azumanga Diaoh is cheapness or poverty.

Comments

• My view is that I will never buy anything unless I know it is good. As a result, I pretty much always download anime, though I generally only download the unlicensed stuff and borrow the stuff that is on DVD here. I have a friend who is the secretary for the local anime club, and he spends his money pretty much entirely on anime and he loves to let people borrow it, so I borrow stuff from him. If I like a show, I will buy the DVDs if I can afford to, and if I can't, then I at least make an effort to buy the manga.
  • I have no problem with anyone downloading anything: tv, music, movie or anime. But the anime companies are good people, unlike the record companies and movie studios. So when it comes to anime there are two things that generally I find to be out of bounds.

First, the Chinese bootlegs. Like I said, nothing wrong with downloading stuff. But when you are selling copies, that's crossing a line no matter what it is. If you want to copy a CD for a friend, go to it. Share mp3s of it online, way to go. Sell it on the street? no good. That means that someone is making money, and it's not the person who did the work.

Second, the guy who downloads too much. You want to have all of Cowboy Bebop on your computer? Go nuts. You want to have every episode of every anime ever on a RAID 5 array? That's not cool. Especially since you barely watched even half of those shows. You could have not bought that RAID array and bought the DVDs of the shows you actually like a lot.

Here at GeekNights we download and delete. If an anime is good enough to watch, we watch as much as we can. If it makes it to the next level, we Netflix it. If it's an A anime, we buy it. The anime companies are cool, so we don't feel bad buying their stuff.
  • First, I download series regardless of their licensing status. Second, if they're good, I seek the DVDs and if they're bad, they go to the recycling bin.

You won't see me trying to justify downloading it, though. Breaking the law is breaking the law and if for some reason it gets me into trouble, it'll be my own damn fault. End of story.
  • I downloaded all of Evangelion, and if not for that, Gainax wouldn't be getting my monies for the DVD's. ;)
  • edited July 2007
    Shows that are liscenced but have been overly edited and are like two years from catching up to the current story (Naruto and One Piece) I also feel are fine. Shows that are finished running and all out on dvd are more of a grey area, as the only reason not to but something like Azumanga Diaoh is cheapness or poverty.
    So basically, it's not okay to break the law unless it's convenient for you?

Poverty and impatience all boil down to the same tired old excuse that people who download anime always avoid saying: I'm selfish, and the only person that matters is me.

I'm not gonna impugn your "right" to download anime, but excuses like that really get my goat. Yours are relatively mild, Ned, but they speak to the portion of fansubbing culture that's ACTUALLY annoying: the entitlement complex that says just because you CAN get it for free you SHOULD get it for free.

One Sin's got the right idea. Everyone downloads something, nobody's pure in that regard, it's the justification that gets my goat.
    Post edited by Dave on
  • Shows that are liscenced but have been overly editedMost anime are released pretty-much unedited on DVD.  No excuse there.
    So basically, it's not okay to break the law unless it's convenient for you?I agree witih you 99%.  The ONLY exception I will make is for a show that is not available in any legal form for me to consume.  If every legal copy of Han Shoots First Star Wars is destroyed, and no new release is available or forthcoming, then I see no moral objection to downloading it.  Granted, I say 99%, since this is rarely if ever the case, and most people seem to use the most minor of changes as an excuse to pirate an entire show.
  • download and delete a lot of anime, I buy some, but it depends, stuff like FLCL, I mean, the whole thing fits in one DVD perfectly, but nooooo... They decide to sell it in three DVDs, and its not like they packed them with some cool extras, so, stuff like that.

Also, things like Naruto, I can say, I'll probably watch it completely and the thought of buying it won't cross my mind a single time, I really don't have the money for a like 300 DVD box set.

I think fansubs are fair, they are not really broadcasting it in my country, they are not selling it in my country, so count me like a Japanese kid watching it on television, I won't sell it, distribute it or probably even keep it anyways.
  • edited July 2007
    In terms of the law, downloading just about any copyrighted content is illegal, at least in the US. In terms of morals, it's up to each individual to decide what they think is right and wrong. Some people draw the line in different places, and arguments can be made for just about anything. It's up to you. Just remember that your actions have consequences, be prepared to deal with them when they happen.

Despite that, I have to agree with Dave. It is very annoying when someone tries to justify breaking their own moral code. It's one thing if you decide that it isn't morally wrong to download, that's fine. We can debate why it is or isn't wrong, but at least you have the guts to say you think you aren't doing anything wrong. It's something else entirely if you decide that it is not moral, and you make excuses about why you can do it anyway. Either have some balls to say that you don't think it's wrong, or don't do it. If you think something is wrong and you do it anyway, that's not something to be respected. It's also pretty annoying to listen to people make these kinds of excuses.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The only place to rent Anime in my area went out of business . . . so I'm pretty much out of luck. I'll probably get the Netflix this winter (I like to go outside while I can).

As to the rest . . . I plead the fifth.
  • Well, I don't think that is wrong, as far as I know, I can't netflix or anything of that sort here in Costa Rica, and when I find something worth while, I buy the DVDs, even if that means having to import them from the US, I just save up some money and buy it. With stuff like Naruto, I know I won't watch it again so what am I going to do with a 200+ episode series standing there in my shelve. On the other side, like I said with FLCL, they can fit the whole thing in one DVD, but they rather sell three of them, I mean, the box set is $55 and each DVD is $26, whilst Serial Experiments Lain is $33 and its 13 episodes long, Evangelion is 26 episodes and the box set is $43(which I'm buying right now lol). So I kinda feel that I'm getting robbed. Now, if they sell the thing for $25 I'd be on that like flies on a turd.
  • edited July 2007
    Ok, there is some anime that you cannon download such as The Astroboy 1963 Original and I had to buy it, If it is true you can download it, it will be in an ilegal way, and I am not down with that. Normalyl if I have the time I will watch the first episode of and anime in youtube, I know it if lame but if that episode is truly awesome then I go and the whole box set. That is what I did with Getter Robo Armagedon, and I kind of did that with the New Getter Robo OAVs but I just saw the op. and I knew I had to have them. For the most part I only download anime that it is made by Go Nagai, Kotetsushin Jeed anyone?

Even though this is pure awesomeness no one is subbing it so I have to watch it RAW and now I hope to get licensed eventually. Well this was my excuse to show this awesome scene from youtube. However, I will say that downloading licensed anime is wrong and if you buy booglet material you are just plain dumb (as long as you know it is booglet)
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • I put forth a question to all:
    What if you live somewhere where there is no official place to buy such anime and shows, and lets take it further, for example, where I live (and I'm sure you are probably sick of listening me saying so) not everyone has an international credit/debit card and a P.O. BOX in the US to get their stuff sent to them, also, anime companies have not shown interest in marketing their products to people where I live, and the only places where you can get anime, is either bootlegged material or bought abroad and sold at three times the original price. So, is it illegal? Are you dumb for buying bootlegs? If you answer YES, then downloading and watching the RAW material, is just as illegal and wrong, because it's licensed in Japan and you have then the same limitations as I do.
  • edited July 2007
    I know the answer if only because I used to be in you place, in third world countries where the anime economy matters so littly I think it really does not matter. But I would definately go for quality fansub, back in peru I used to spend about 6$ for a good VHS of Macross: Do You Remember Love? and it was a goof buy because downthere there are not copyrighting laws, and it was Hi-Fi. But becarefull do not buy crapy 12 generation vhs or dvds with sucky subs :P Also and original product over cost basically yout whole month of food, it is not over exageration. most of our anime comes from Mexico and through the TV but if we want something new we have the internet now.
    but now that I have enough money I decide to just get it because really guys sometimes the officia product is just better :P
    By the way Mr. Robot do you remember "El Vengador"?
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited July 2007
    Well, I don't buy bootlegs, just because bootlegs here are either really crappy, or simply fansubs.

I actually do know "El Vengador" but from a Peruvian friend, I don't recall it being aired in Costa Rica. (Kotetsu Jeegu or something like that, for all non-Spanish readers)

This one right?
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • Since I am from Peru I know that anime and I must say that its sequel is most awesome. It is a shame people here in america do not enjoy the goodness of Robots punching each other to death :P .... well I just have to put the op here :P

Go Nagai you are Awesome :P
  • I have no problem with anyone downloading anything: tv, music, movie or anime.
    This is one of those times I'm gonna seem really old or maybe just stupid. I listened to the Bittorrent episode. I downloaded Bittorrent (or a program that purported to be Bittorrent) because I'd like to try downloading. I've tried to google instructions on the internet. I can't find anything through my Bittorrent program to download. Programs like Winmx or Limewire are (or were) pretty straightforward, but when I tried to find things through Bittorrent, there just doesn't seem to be anything there. Did I download the wrong program? Do I need another program? Would someone please help me?
  • I have no problem with anyone downloading anything: tv, music, movie or anime.
    This is one of those times I'm gonna seem really old or maybe just stupid. I listened to the Bittorrent episode. I downloaded Bittorrent (or a program that purported to be Bittorrent) because I'dliketo try downloading. I've tried to google instructions on the internet. I can't find anything through my Bittorrent program to download. Programs like Winmx or Limewire are (or were) pretty straightforward, but when I tried to find things through Bittorrent, there just doesn't seem to be anything there. Did I download the wrong program? Do I need another program? Would someone please help me?
    Wow, it's kind of weird to realize that people still do not understand how bittorrent works.

Really simple. Bittorrent is not like other P2P file sharing applications. The way it works is this. First you get a bittorrent client. Next, you open your web browser and you search torrent sites for the things you want to download. You will find almost anything you want at the infamous Pirate Bay, but there are hundreds of other sites to choose from. Next, take that .torrent file you downloaded from the torrent site, and open it with your torrent client. The torrent client will do its best to download, and upload, that file for you.

This is part of why bittorrent has been so successful. Bittorrent is just a tool for sharing files. It doesn't help you find things to download. Users are on their own to find things to download with bittorrent. This is why bittorrent is here to stay. Bittorrent sites may come and go, but the software will last until it is obsolete.
  • Another thing that makes Torrent programs useful is the fact that items that are more popular items will be hosted my more people (theoretically) and therefore more available and faster to download.
  • edited July 2007
    http://www.torrents.to, Joe. It searches most of teh torrent sites.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited July 2007
    It may be my computer, or it may be my plain stupidity, but I'm not a fan of BitTorrent.
    I've tried it before, and like I said, for either on/possibly both of the aforementioned reasons, uTorrent runs VERY slow on my computer.
    So, I suppose my views on downloading anime are:
    -If you've got a BitTorrent client (and it works) and you don't feel guilty in anyway, I think that downloading it that way is perfectly fine.
    -If a link to a file is up for download, I also think that is okay.
    Because of my BitTorrent troubles, I've not been able to download much anime recently, so I guess I have an excuse that my views may've changed due to what others have told me...
    I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's what I think. ._.

Upon reading posts before me, I have forgotten to add that:
    -If an anime becomes licensed and is no longer up for download, then support the industry and go BUY THE DVDs.

Okay. I'm done now.
    Post edited by lepixelista on
  • edited July 2007
    I download and delete. I do not have any means of legally obtaining anime right now.  None of my friends have any I could borrow, and I have no money to buy it off the internet (no money to buy it with either). However, in four months, I'm moving to another city, and I'll have more money. so I plan on buying roughly 70% of all the anime I've watched on dvd. I honestly see no harm in what I'm doing: I'm not selling it or causing trouble for anyone, I'm just downloading it for my own personal viewing pleasure, then deleting.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I download and delete.

Same here. I can't access anime without buying it outright (no netflix in Canada) so I watch something, and if I like it, I'll buy it.

When Perfect Sessions goes back up on amazon.ca, I'll get it.