This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Police should have to take classes on Tech/Geek Culture

edited November 2007 in Everything Else
So this previous Sunday I was at work at Gamestop in a suburban area in south Jersey. Around noon some kids came in and traded in "their" Xbox 360, some games, and an extra wireless controller, all for cash. Apparently either these kids weren't suppose to trade this stuff in or they stole it. About 2 hours later a guy comes in asking questions about it, I told him the time they came in and he tried to demand I give him their names and other information claiming one of them was his son, I refused. So about an 90 minutes later a cop comes strolling in. She holds a pictures up and asks me if I recognize the kid. I say no, because well I didn't. He looked like every other punk kid that comes in that place. She proceeds to call me a liar telling me I did. At that I turned away and started doing my job, but she wasn't done yet and began asking question and from the first words I could tell she had no clue what was going on. This officer wasn't old, she was maybe early thirties more likely though late twenties. She said things like "Were some kids in here selling three hundred and sixty games a few hours ago?" I'm fairly certain she saw the look I had on my face because she then asked if we even buy things back.

I unfortunately can't remember every one of this officers idiotic words but it still made me feel that if this is what is on the police force. People who don't know or understand popular culture. Since it's not like the Xbox is something incredibly geeky or rare, then we're pretty screwed if something major goes down.

Comments

• edited November 2007
    then we're pretty screwed if something major goes down.
    Like someone actually trying to trade in three hundred and sixty stolen games.

I just had one of those moments when you realize long after a conversation a line that would have sounded awesome if you had said it at the time.
    "No Madam, as if they had tried to sell three hundred and sixty games a few hours ago they would probably still be in here."
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Honestly if someone tried to trade in that many games I would probably tell them to go shove said games some place very uncomfortable.
  • Obviously it seems like a regular officer was trying to do detective work. I doubt if a real detective came to investigate it would have been even close to as stupid.
  • Awesome story! Omnutia's reply is a great addition. Thanks for the laughs. Also, if someone says you lie without evidence ask them if they look through your eyes, listen through your ears and think what you think.
  • Ok, competition: Turn this encounter into the most dramatic screenplay possible.
  • Also, if someone says you lie without evidence...
    It's an intimidation tactic. They wern't hearing exactly the story the wanted, so they tried to get the story they wanted.
  • It's kind of nonsensical to expect police to have a working understanding of everything they might investigate during their careers.
  • Why didn't you suggest an easy solution? I would have asked the guy what the gamertag on the system was, booted the box, and if it was the same one, then, yes, it is his 360, but now its evidence, so no one gets to play with it. The police tend to look more kindly on you if you are helpful after you receive stolen goods, which is also a crime.
  • I wonder if there is a scammer out there who gets a couple of kids to sell a console at a used game store and then has a buddy in a police officer outfit come in and confiscate it.
  • I wonder if there is a scammer out there who gets a couple of kids to sell a console at a used game store and then has a buddy in a police officer outfit come in and confiscate it.
    If there wasn't I'm sure there is one now.
  • The police tend to look more kindly on you if you are helpful after you receive stolen goods, which is also a crime.
    Don't you have to have intent to be guilty of a crime? Like, if a guy comes in and gives you an XBox, and everything seems legit, you can't be held responsible, can you?
  • The police tend to look more kindly on you if you are helpful after you receive stolen goods, which is also a crime.
    Don't you have to have intent to be guilty of a crime? Like, if a guy comes in and gives you an XBox, and everything seems legit, you can't be held responsible, can you?
    Umm, yes and no. While you're less guilty then someone who knew it was stolen, you're still technically guilty on some level, just not on the same level.
  • Don't you have to have intent to be guilty of a crime? Like, if a guy comes in and gives you an XBox, and everything seems legit, you can't be held responsible, can you?
    You probably couldn't be held responsible for dealing in stolen property, assuming you actually didn't know, and there is no overwhelming reason you should have known ("he said it was stolen, but I thought he was kidding. No, really!"). If the cops thought you were full of it, the DA would then probably have to convince a jury you knew it was hot, and are only claiming ignorance. Probably not worth it to anyone in this hypothetical case.

The consequence would probably be that you lose the stolen property. If our hypothetical Xbox were actually stolen, and the owner could prove it was his, you'd have to give it back and getting your money back from the thief would be your problem. The state would only help indirectly: it has courts where you could sue the thief, and people who might help enforce any judgment you were to get (in the USA, anyway). Good luck with that.
    It would be a pretty ballsy con. If I am a businessman and some guy flashes a badge and says 'gimme', I'd hope I'd tell him 'just as soon as confirm you're actually a cop, and after my lawyer gets down here and tells me I have to.' At that point, the scammer has to decide if they want to go beyond fraud and impersonating an officer to the promised land of armed robbery.

A real con man probably backs off, I would guess. Then again, I'm not hip to grifter culture.

• A real con man probably backs off, I would guess. Then again, I'm not hip to grifter culture.
    A real con man has a plan where this kind of trap is not possible.