This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How do you have your steak?

2»

Comments

• How often to people in America eat steak? It's not that common over here as we don't tend to eat so much beef, usually we eat pork or chicken. I personally have never tried all of the rarities of steak and couldn't tell you how rare I like it.
  • If you don't like your steaks rare, don't order steaks.
    Problem is, one can't order something different in an household. We hardly eat steak though, so don't worry about wasted steak.
  • All I'm saying is, some cuts of meat are meant to be done in certain ways. Steak is the best and most expensive cut of the cow. It's the only one where you can cook it rare with very little flavoring and not have it taste like shit. If you want that kind of flavor and well-done-ness, why are you ordering a steak?
    Because that's how I like it.

See, the problem here is that you're arguing that your taste is the only acceptable one. You're also using the fallacy of bifurcation to say that that are only a couple of ways in which steak can be prepared and be good.

What are you trying to prove?
  • Before I acquired my beef allergy I was a big eater of steaks. I preferred to cook my own meat and I used the following method/recipe:

1. Get a good cut of meat.
    2. Take a sharp fork and make many holes in both sides of the steak.
    3. Pour paprika over the steak.
    4. Pour Italian salad dressing over the steak.
    5. Use the fork to poke the dressing into the steak (only a little).
    6. Flip the steak and repeat.
    7. Put the steak in the broiler.
    8. When the top is browned nicely flip it and reapply seasoning if needed.
    9. Cook until a medium rare result is acquired.
    10. Eat it all.
  • How often to people in America eat steak?
    Every day.
  • Before I acquired my beef allergy I was a big eater of steaks.I'm allergic to steak too. When I eat steak repeatedly over a long period of time, my midsection begins to swell.
  • Before I acquired my beef allergy I was a big eater of steaks.
    I'm allergic to steak too. When I eat steak repeatedly over a long period of time, my midsection begins to swell.
    I break out in a rash, a full body rash.

I can no longer eat out because restaurants grill all their food on the same grill. This causes the beef that I am allergic to to mix in with grilled foods that I am not allergic to. Yes, it sucks more than you can possibly imagine.
  • Yes, it sucks more than you can possibly imagine.Actually, no. You painted a fairly good picture, and I have a decent imagination. I believe that - short of actually experiencing your condition - I know exactly how much it sucks. :'(
  • edited November 2007
    The thought of eating a piece of meat while mostly raw makes me a little nauseous. I like my meat cooked through and through. I don't eat steak quite as much as other people seem to, but when I do I like it fully cooked. I actually prefer roast beef and real hamburgers, not that garbage McDonalds craps out, but still I eat those cooked completely.
    Post edited by Tripwire on
    Every day.
    Correction: There is someone eating steak every day.

We do not actually -eat- steak every day, as an individual. That gets way too freaking expensive.
  • That gets way too freaking expensive.Even if one could afford steak every day, I doubt one's colon could.
  • That gets way too freaking expensive.
    Even if one could afford steak every day, I doubt one's colon could.
    Eh, just eat enough veggies and other fiber and your colon should stay regular.

We do eat a lot of beef here in America, but I don't think sensible people eat THAT much every day. I'll have a 20 ounce steak once a month, maybe, and I'll eat roast beef sandwiches for a week every now and again. Aside from the odd burger, that's pretty much all my beef.

I do, however, really love those times when I'm eating a big steak. Porterhouse ftw!
  • I ate two Delmonicos tonight. 7 minutes each side on the grill. I like a bit of A-1 Sauce too. Not all the time, but I do like it. Steve, I feel your pain only with goats. Anything goat related: cheese, meat, milk will kill me. Romano cheese is a goat cheese. This keeps me out of most Italian restaurants sadly.
  • Medium or Medium Rare is my pick, basically the outside should be seared but the the steak should be pink all the way through.  I only have good cuts of meat otherwise I just order something else.
    Eating rare meat especially livestock (seafood is slightly different) increases the likelihood of contracting the prion based Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.  This is one of the major reasons you see this disease pop up amongst people who are from "Western" countries.  It is a non-issue in many countries through Asia where Scrapie and BSE are present in herds of livestock, as the style of cooking usually cuts the meat into small pieces and is cooked at high temperatures and / or pressures, enough to break down some proteins such as prions.

That's one of the reasons we don't hear about "outbreaks of varian Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease outside of the UK and North America.
    Every day.
    Correction: There is someone eating steak every day.

We do not actually -eat- steak every day, as an individual. That gets way too freaking expensive.
    I eat steak every single day.
  • Medium or Medium Rare is my pick, basically the outside should be seared but the the steak should be pink all the way through. I only have good cuts of meat otherwise I just order something else.

Eating rare meat especially livestock (seafood is slightly different) increases the likelihood of contracting the prion basedCreutzfeldt-Jakob disease. This is one of the major reasons you see this disease pop up amongst people who are from "Western" countries. It is a non-issue in many countries through Asia where Scrapie and BSE are present in herds of livestock, as the style of cooking usually cuts the meat into small pieces and is cooked at high temperatures and / or pressures, enough to break down some proteins such as prions.
    That's one of the reasons we don't hear about "outbreaks of varian Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease outside of the UK and North America.
    No. Prions are highly resistant to heat based denaturing. Check out Wikipedia. You'd have to cook your steak in an autoclave. I suspect that would kill the flavor a bit. There's no evidence at all that cooking a steak via conventional means to well done versus rare in any way helps prevent CJD.
  • No. Prions are highly resistant to heat based denaturing. Check outWikipedia.You'd have to cook your steak in an autoclave. I suspect that would kill the flavor a bit. There's no evidence at all that cooking a steak via conventional means to well done versus rare in any way helps prevent CJD.
    I have heard many a tale of using the autoclave for the culinary arts.
  • No. Prions are highly resistant to heat based denaturing. Check outWikipedia.You'd have to cook your steak in an autoclave. I suspect that would kill the flavor a bit. There's no evidence at all that cooking a steak via conventional means to well done versus rare in any way helps prevent CJD.I have heard many a tale of using the autoclave for the culinary arts.

Well a pressure cooker is similar to an autoclave...

• I eat steak every single day.
    ...Send some money my way then. =O You crazy richie!!
  • Do you have access to much prime lamb or goat meat in the US or is it predominantly all beef?
    Lamb is big here in Australia and is often a preferred meat in regards to consistency of quality and especially taste.  I like the taste of goat too.  But both are quite expensive.
  • Do you have access to much prime lamb or goat meat in the US or is it predominantly all beef?Most Americans, sadly, only eat beef, chicken, and pork.
    I buy lamb from some local farmers whenever I can, and I LOVE goat curry.
  • I can still eat lamb. A lamb gyro is the shit! Too bad all the greek places I know mix in beef with their lamb for their gyros...
  • I never had lamb based on the fact that my first impression of it was smelling it cooking. It smelled horrible. It might of just been the way it was cooked.
  • I can still eat lamb. A lamb gyro is the shit! Too bad all the greek places I know mix in beef with their lamb for their gyros...
    I thought a gyro WAS lamb and beef?
  • Do you have access to much prime lamb or goat meat in the US or is it predominantly all beef?

Lamb is big here in Australia and is often a preferred meat in regards to consistency of quality and especially taste. I like the taste of goat too. But both are quite expensive.
    In Canada, we eat what Rym said (beef, chicken, and pork) and around these parts (Alberta) we get bison from the buffalo farms. Oh, you buffalo farms... Plus hunting. =3 Elk jerky is awesome. Although, it is entirely possible to get lamb and goat; just a little harder to find, I think more expensive, and people prefer beef. *shrugs*

...In Soviet Russia...
  • I love horses, best of all the animals!
    I love horses, they're my friends!
    I love horses, best of all the animals!
    I love horses, tastes like beef!

On that note, horse sashimi isn't even as good as beef.
  • When it comes to steak, I generally follow the advice my father imparted to me many years ago:

A good steak, when cooked right, shouldn't need any kind of sauce.

It's the truth. Any steak cooked past the state of "Medium" should immediately be considered "shoe leather" and as such should be rejected. I throw a little salt and pepper on it before putting it on the grill, cook it long enough to get grill marks on each side, and then let it stand for a few minutes after taking it off the grill. The last part is the key; if you slice into it too soon it will lose all the juices.

Man... now I have a craving for a nice steak and gorgonzola salad. I think I know what I'm making tomorrow for lunch.