This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How sappy can you get?

edited November 2007 in Everything Else
As a girl, I always get sappy and act stupid around crushes/girlfriends. My girlfriend right now, Brittany, is not sappy at all; the complete polar opposite. While I constantly send texts/IMs/say "I love you" "I miss you" "I lose" and so on and so forth, she smiles and maybe says "I love you." I always use nicknames; she might at most call me whatever we're RPing at the time. I make a point to say "Have a good day at work" and she attempts to remember to say, "And have a good day at school." And of course, she's always poking fun at our relationship.

So, of course I've concluded that not all girls are sappy; like Brit, some have to force themselves.
I've also met guys who are incredibly sappy, and make me look manly next to them.
So, where do you fit in on the range?

Comments

• Why is everyone stealing threads out of my brain! LOL

Well I like to be a tough girl. However, when something makes me happy I can tear up. Like whenever I touch my friends pregnant belly and feel my niece kicking I can't help but tear in happiness. Or if I'm so in love with someone I think about them and can't help but break down. I can be super romantic in a weird way though. My guy friend say it's a silly romantic way. Or when I see certain movies I can tear up! Got dammit! I need to stop crying!

Otherwise I like to have the air of a tough girl....but stuff keep ruining it! Arrgh!
  • We should start a RA group - Romantics Anonymous. XDD Up until, like, four months ago, I refused to admit that I was in the least bit romantic.

Hi, I'm Katie, and I'm a romantic.
  • edited November 2007
    Or when I see certain movies I can tear up!
    True - I have teared up watching Glory, We Were Soldiers, The Right Stuff, Saving Private Ryan, Aliens, Starship Troopers, Pale Rider, The Unforgiven, and Henry V. Pretty much anything that has war, airplanes, spaceships, dogs, or horses can make me tear up.
    Like whenever I touch my friends pregnant belly and feel my niece kicking I can't help but tear in happiness.
    Please don't take offense, but that would make me feel extremely weird. I might tear up in desire to run away.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • So what does sappy in your sense mean? I just looked it up online and couldn't quite figure out what you meant.
  • So what does sappy in your sense mean? I just looked it up online and couldn't quite figure out what you meant.
    Excessively sentimental.
  • Thanks, no it makes sense!

BTW: A German translation seems to be: "harsh punishment in school"
  • edited November 2007
    So what does sappy in your sense mean? I just looked it up online and couldn't quite figure out what you meant.
    Round here sappy means someone who sucks up to people, I think.

I'm generally very reserved. I think this might be down to me never having long enough to develop close friends due to me having gone through seven schools to date. It takes a prolonged onslaught of the warm and fuzzies (Whisper of the heart, Kamichu, Kikis Delivery Service, Spirited Away and similar) to make me to make me feel genuinely happy but I think thats mostly because my life for the last year and a bit feels like one long failure.

Oh, and looking at my photos from my stay in Japan make me feel good too..
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Thanks, no it makes sense!

BTW: A German translation seems to be: "harsh punishment in school"
    ex·ces·sive [ik-ses-iv]:
    -adjective 1. going beyond the usual, necessary, or proper limit or degree; characterized by excess: excessive charges; excessive criticism.

sen·ti·men·tal·ism [sen-tuh-men-tl-iz-uhm]:
    -noun 1. the excessive expression of tender feelings, nostalgia, or sadness in any form
    2. a predilection for sentimentality
  • Okay, so I guess I'm pretty sappy for a man...
  • I know a good song with the word sentimental in it..
  • I cry to a shitload of things.
  • Joe, I was tearing up watching Starship Troopers too, but probably for a different reason. The CGI series is fairly good and available on Netflix.
  • I cryed a little during Elizabethtown, but it was because the writing and acting were so bad.
  • edited November 2007
    While I constantly send texts/IMs/say "I love you" "I miss you""I lose"
    (My emphasis)
    You're a bad person. I hate you.

Anyways, I am (or at least think I am) extremely bad at being sappy. I can never seem to cry most of the time, though I do get quite melancholy. However, one of my friends is so sappy with her boyfriend it's actually kind of funny sometimes. He's really sweet too, but not quite as sappy as she is.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
    Not sure if it counts as sappy but this counts for me.
    edited November 2007
    While I constantly send texts/IMs/say "I love you" "I miss you""I lose"
    (My emphasis)
    You're a bad person. I hate you.
    Agreed. *glares at Kage* AND YES! I LOST TOO NOW! >:O

I consider myself to be reserved, however, I do tend to get tears in my eyes, no crying can't do that that well for some reason, in various emotional situations... and sometimes random, though I blame airco and things like that for those moments x-X;

EDIT: Kitty! *glomp tackle hug* That strip is true! 100% tried and true, at least for me. Also, if the cat in question has very soft fur, (even if it is a bitch and it growls and is evil *coughlil'brotherscatcough*) I must pick it up and huggle :D so sooooooft.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Not sure if it counts as sappy but this counts for me.
    Not really. Is sappy a truly American idea? I had no idea it wasn't so recognizable.
  • Every now and then I come across something like this and it really gets to me, but otherwise I wouldn't discribe myself as sappy.
    Not sure if it counts as sappy but this counts for me.
    Not really. Is sappy a truly American idea? I had no idea it wasn't so recognizable.
    I don't know if I'd say its an American idea, though it may be restricted to North America in common use.
  • Ah, wars and deaths always make me either extremely unemotional or weepy. >>; Truly weird.
  • I only get sappy if I'm in a certain mood. Otherwise I'm really mellow. I can be very giggly and cute at times, but I'm never really sappy.
  • I watched Iron Monkey after hearing about it offhand in geeknights and the intense butt kicking action wore away at my cold exterior so I was grinning like a fool when the various sentimental bits roll around.
  • Got damn. I'm listening to Fly me to the Moon (Eva version) right now and I'm tearing up. It makes me think of the man I'm in love with.

Got damn...some tough girl I am. :P
  • I cry when the main characters finally realize how much they love each other and kiss.
    I cry when a character dies, no matter how minor, as long as I know their name.
    Happy endings make me cry
    Sad endings make me cry.

I'm just about the other side of the country from macho.
  • edited November 2007
    Did anyone cry during The Iron Giant?

Actually, for the last few years my eyes have been so dry (see the Lasik thread where I talk about not being able to wear contact lenss anymore because of this), that I can "tear up" during a movie and no one notices.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited November 2007
    I listened to "X&Y" by Coldplay for the first time and sat there crying at my computer for half an hour. No reason, Im just more emo than Shakespeare.
    For some reason whenever I make eye contact with a small child who is trying to attract my attention I smile and feel all fuzzy. Not warm.. Just fuzzy..
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Children get me. They didn't use to, but now, I feel all maternal over them. ><; DRIVES ME UP THE WALL. Stupid hormones...
  • Did anyone cry duringThe Iron Giant?
    I finally watched that mere hours ago and I can honestly say that I teared up a little bit towards the end there. omg so sad and also adorable!
  • Some moments in movies make me tear up (such as the "Let it Be" scene in Across the Universe), some movies make me bawl like a baby (RENT) but most things in life don't affect me. I must not have a soul anymore or just be incredibly jaded.