This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Reflections on Poll-Working

Tuesday marked the second time that I have worked the polls in the last three months (the first was a special primary for the city I was working in), and I've got to say, it's probably the best job I've ever had. The training you're required to go through before you're allowed to work the polls is by far the hardest part of it (with the possible exception of getting to the polls by 5:30 AM). The training isn't very hard if you're any kind of intelligent person, and 90% of the time actually spent working, 90% of it isn't used; most of time you're either checking ID's or pushing a button to code the cards the machines use. I've heard horror stories of people who have worked presidential elections, naturally, but as neither of these were any of those, we only had around sixty people come and vote each day; combined with the above factors, this means that the majority of my time was spent either talking with my co-workers or reading a book I brought with me (I got over 2/3 of the way through Guards! Guards! this last time). For this, the government pays me what amounts to $11.50/hr and gives me an hour lunch on top of it. Really the only downside was a few awkward conversations with a fellow poll-worker of a different political party the first time I did it.

So, yeah. Best job I've had so far. Anyone else here ever work the polls?

Comments

• Only $11.50 an hour? A guy I work with takes that day off every year to work the polls and gets $250 for the day.
  • edited November 2007
    I meant $11.50/hr in the sense that it's something like $160 or so for the day. I'm guessing your co-worker is one of the people who are actually in charge of the machines themselves, something in the $200 dollar range sounds about right for their pay (I just man the tables).

Unless Ohio is just behind in the elections department, which wouldn't surprise me. After all, this is the state where the election laws specifically makes allowances for accepting military IDs for identification as long as they have your name and current address on them; of course, most military IDs don't have your current address on them, so we've never been able to accept one.
    Post edited by SoylentGreenIsPurple on