This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Aeron Chair

13»

Comments

• MATATAT said:

Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

I fucking hate these chairs. My previous company had these, and my new company got them for everyone when we moved offices a few weeks ago. My strategy has been to go to Office Max or some shit and sit in every chair until I find the softest cushiest chair I can find.

Your body is fucked up. Office Max/Staples do not sell a single chair that is good.
    Haha maybe. The thing I don't like about these chairs is I feel like they don't really let you "lounge". They're really forcing you to sit in them a specific way and have lots of edges that push your body into sitting very specifically. Don't get me wrong, 99% of the chairs they sell at office stores are fucking awful too. I have a chair that I bought in like 2009 that I really need to replace, but it was a great lounging office chair. And it took me quite a bit of looking to find.

I dunno if I'd buy the same chair again, maybe I'd opt to buy something like this if I bought a new chair, but these days if I can I opt to sit on something like a couch. Get my lounge on.
    I'm lounging in my chair right now, I can sit in it side ways backwards, legs over the arms etc. Only the trash chairs try to force you to sit a specific way. The whole point of these chairs is for the lounging so that you don't sit upright because that messes up your back.
  • My computer chairs are for sitting at a computer or desk engaged in a task that so requires it.

If I'm doing anything else, I'm sure as fuck not at my computer desk. I'm on a chaise or a couch.
  • Rym said:

My computer chairs are for sitting at a computer or desk engaged in a task that so requires it.

If I'm doing anything else, I'm sure as fuck not at my computer desk. I'm on a chaise or a couch.

I guess this is mostly where I'm at.

If I was to get a Herman Miller chair it'd probably be something like this. But $3k is a bit for a chair. I guess if I used it as long as I've used my chair it would be a decent investment.
  • Dubyaz said:

Chair recommendations for a very heavy set person approximately 400lbs. Checked the aeron and freedom chairs and both seem to max out at 300lbs.

I know some people that swear by the products from this site:

http://living-xl.destinationxl.com/mens-big-and-tall-store/office/cat70137

• I got a new desk chair a while back from my mom who bought it at a garage sale her boss had. I decided to look it up and jesus I knew it was originally expensive but damn. It's no Aeron, but still. It's nice but not $400 nice.
  • Which of the fancy schmancy options do I need?
  • OP: AM MAN SIT ON ROCK BEST

Aeron chairs are excellent from a design, ergonomic, and BIFL perspective. I'm probably going to get a kneeling chair soon though. They suit my needs more.
  • What's y'alls thoughts on this thing?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/648217121/chair-the-advanced-art-of-seating?ref=popular

I like the blue/grey look. Price wise, it's nowhere near the Aeron, so I don't know if it'd be really the same target market.

The company making this already has a standing desk on the market and I like the look of it.
  • Well if they're an existing company that already has actual products that's a good sign of actually getting what you paid for. The price isn't too bad I suppose (although it's too bad the $200 tier is gone). The main issue is do you want to spend that much money on one you didn't get a chance to sit in first, that has no reviews yet?
  • I'm not gonna get one anytime soon, for reasons mentioned plus I already have a chair I'm happy with for now. But I likely will need multiple chairs as I'll likely have multiple offices in time, and so this is on my radar.

From a market segment standpoint, if it's well made and comfortable for the price they are suggesting, it would be in a good spot.
  • The blue one is indeed pretty, although if I were planning to get this kind of chair, I would want butt mesh, like the aeron. Butt mesh is great.
  • Yeah when I finally drop a decent amount of money on a nice big desk chair, I'm getting mesh. I used a faux-leather one for years and it was fine for a cheap office max chair, but man did it suck in the summer. So god damn sticky.
  • Starfox said:

Which of the fancy schmancy options do I need?

You really need to try it out in real life to determine what you need, some people don't like arm wrests, others do, headwrests types of wheels etc