This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's worse than my worst nightmares...

edited November 2007 in Everything Else
So as many of you might know, Digg is a great source of news and random information, and in my Digging through my Google reader I come via Digg to an article called: "Why English isn't the only language you should know." It looks like a very nice article, have yet to finish it, but halfway through I come across this paragraph. And youtube video...
Somewhat of an embarrassment to the US, there is a YouTube video in circulation which features a reporter asking a few typical Americans some simple questions. Amongst them, “what language is spoken in Latin America?” is asked. The answer given is “Latin”… The other answers are just as “inspired”
fJuNgBkloFE

My head hurts. Badly. I knew the average American was capable of doing stupid things. But this...

Comments

• Well, welcome to America. 60% of us are morons and 30% are average, which pisses off the remaining 10% of actually intelligent people. If I had any choice in the matter, I'd probably move to Canada.
  • I live in a country where at least once a week a radio station goes around finding stupid people to answer questions which should be common knowledge wrong. Anyways, what the video doesn't give us is the number of people answering questions correctly.

Oh, and some answers were not that uninformed. Tony Blair might as well be an actor and Germany once was in the Axis :D
  • Idiots are never in short supply in any city, regardless of what country in which one is, and comedians know how to find the most bombastic of them. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised this one couldn't find any super crazies. All you have to do is go to the center of the city and listen for the distinct sound of someone speaking through a bullhorn. He could have had Black Hebrew Israelites for crying out loud!
  • edited November 2007
    Idiots are never in short supply in any city, regardless of what country in which one is, and comedians know how to find the most bombastic of them. To be honest, I'm a bit surprised this one couldn't find any super crazies. All you have to do is go to the center of the city and listen for the distinct sound of someone speaking through a bullhorn. He could have had Black Hebrew Israelites for crying out loud!

This.  I'm pretty sure that if you went to Europe, and asked enough people, I imagine you would get a lot of stupid answers.  Maybe not as many as in certain parts of America, but it's not like there are no idiots in the rest of the World.  It's not really the average American answering those questions.  The people answering those questions might be closer to the average than in other nations, but they're not average.
    Post edited by rhinocero on
  • I've always preffered Talking to Americans by this hour has 22 minutes. As in it they manage to get some really big people to say some really dumb things.
  • Well, welcome to America. 60% of us are morons and 30% are average, which pisses off the remaining 10% of actually intelligent people. If I had any choice in the matter, I'd probably move to Canada.
    Are we talking mean, median or mode for average?
  • I asked people the first question after seeing this and almost all of them said Utah. LOL.
  • I asked people the first question after seeing this and almost all of them said Utah. LOL.
    I rest my case. Hell, I think he could've asked "In which country do you live" "United States of America" (I hope they can answer that within one second) and then asked the Name a country starting with U question. And most would be just as dumbfounded and probably say "Utah" or "Ehhh". Now it is true that there are equal idiots in any country you go, but come on! "How many sides does a triangle have" "4?" "No sides? One?"

*glares at Paige and the link* Studying Americans... *face desk*

Question, the 30% average Americans Linkigi mentioned... to what can you compare them to in Canadathe rest of the world?
  • My head hurts. Badly. I knew the average American was capable of doing stupid things. But this...
    You group 'Americans' an awful lot in a negative way. I would hazard to guess you wouldn't do the same thing to races but you're fully willing to do it based on nationality? I'm not overly patriotic here, just pointing out an observation in your forum posts.

Anyone who does enough interviews with proper editing can find idiots to say things like this. It proves nothing and shows little more than the knowledge of those interviewed.
  • It's fashionable to be a self-hating American right now.
  • It's fashionable to be a self-hating American right now.
    Well, welcome to America. 60% of us are morons and 30% are average, which pisses off the remaining 10% of actually intelligent people.
  • edited November 2007
    Anyone who does enough interviews with proper editing can find idiots to say things like this. It proves nothing and shows little more than the knowledge of those interviewed.
    I don't think it really even shows that. I suspect two things might be going on that are not related to the knowledge of those interviewed:

(1) They see a camera crew and an interviewer. The interviewer asks them a question that everyone should be able to answer. Now, if it were me, a light would go off in my head and I would realize that they're taping one of these man in the street things and they're gonna probably play the stupid responses on TV somewhere. I now have a choice: I can answer the question correctly and be consigned to obscurity or I can make up something stupid and be on TV. I think many people simply decide they want to be on TV.

(2) It's likely staged even more than that. The interviewer probably introduces himself as "Mr. X" from "Show XYZ" tells them the question he'll ask, and gives them the answer he wants them to recite to the camera if they want to be on the show.

Even so, I still think a very, very large percentage of Americans are incredibly stupid. We "elected" GWB twice. We deserve every slight to our intelligence that comes our way.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance, Joe. That the electorate -- only half of it, really -- was misinformed or misguided or even plain wrong does not mean it was less intelligent. Didn't you listen to the logical fallacy episode?
  • edited November 2007
    I like how in a thread complaining about stupid people the thread creator incorrectly used then instead of than in the subject, and I had to correct it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • There is a difference between stupidity and ignorance, Joe.
    What would you consider the difference. I find that one is slightly more inflammatory, perhaps alluding to an inability to learn, but I'm sure joe the lawyer chooses his words carefully and has accurately communicated his feelings on the subject.

Besides, this thread hasn't been terribly focused on making logical arguments.
  • I like how in a thread someone complaining about stupid people, the thread creator used then instead of than in the subject, and I had to correct it.
    Not to derail this thread too much, but that's almost as bad as "Between you and I".
  • edited November 2007
    stu·pid (stpd, sty-)
    adj. stu·pid·er, stu·pid·est
    1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
    2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
    3. Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
    4. Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
    5. Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.
    n.
    A stupid or foolish person.

Source.

I stand by my use of the term.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • What defines a stupid person? I find the whole "intelligence" description so fucking subjective. I mean really, what makes someone stupid? Well, by my definition, if you don't know how to normalize a vector, you're an idiot. If you don't know how to program Dijkstra's algorithm, you're an idiot. If you haven't read Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations, you're an idiot. See how easy it is to make people look "stupid"?
  • (2) It's likely staged even more than that. The interviewer probably introduces himself as "Mr. X" from "Show XYZ" tells them the question he'll ask, and gives them the answer he wants them to recite to the camera if they want to be on the show.
    "So I must play stupid and say a triangle has 4 sides to get on TV and be laughed at/ridiculed by people who recognize me on the street?" Come on. Look at your definitions of the word stupid: 2. Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes. Tell me, how is "Oh sure, I will play stupid for you by reciting stuff like a monkey just to get on TV" no stupid?

@ WaterIsPoison. Yes, it's relative. Can you do a brain surgery without fucking the patient up? Can you repair a clutch? (probably you'll be able to figure it out, being a technical person, but fix it properly... hmmmm...) Do you know how to use scissors to cut somebody's hair into a specific model? Though, why does not reading a book make you stupid? I can understand the two things one has to learn, but reading a book. Hell, I'll say then that if you haven't read the Bible or Koran in it's original written language you're an idiot. But we were talking about stupid people, see Hungryjoe's definition, not idiots. Here, dictionary.com's definition of idiot:
    id·i·ot /ˈɪdiət/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[id-ee-uht] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun
    1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.
    2. Psychology. a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.
    @ Apreche, I'm positive you make similar mistakes in your second language, third if I am bastard enough to count Frisian to which I most surely have been exposed to before English.
  • edited November 2007

@ WaterIsPoison. Yes, it's relative. Can you do a brain surgery without fucking the patient up? Can you repair a clutch? (probably you'll be able to figure it out, being a technical person, but fix it properly... hmmmm...) Do you know how to use scissors to cut somebody's hair into a specific model? Though, why does not reading a book make you stupid? I can understand the two things one has to learn, but reading a book. Hell, I'll say then that if you haven't read the Bible or Koran in it's original written language you're an idiot.
    Here is the thing though, I've learned and done all the things I stated, have you done the same for yours? Also, just substitute stupid for idiot and you will get the same effect. For me, stupid and idiot are the same when used in the vernacular.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • What would you consider the difference. I find that one is slightly more inflammatory, perhaps alluding to an inability to learn, but I'm sure joe the lawyer chooses his words carefully and has accurately communicated his feelings on the subject.
    Can you do a brain surgery without fucking the patient up? Can you repair a clutch? (probably you'll be able to figure it out, being a technical person, but fix it properly... hmmmm...) Do you know how to use scissors to cut somebody's hair into a specific model? Though, why does not reading a book make you stupid? I can understand the two things one has to learn, but reading a book. Hell, I'll say then that if you haven't read the Bible or Koran in it's original written language you're an idiot. But we were talking about stupid people, see Hungryjoe's definition, not idiots.
    Stupidity alludes to a person's mental limitations. No how much data and experience they have, a stupid person will not be able to do X.

Ignorance alludes to a person's lack of knowledge. I am ignorant of how to do brain surgery; that does not mean I would be incapable of learning.

For example, in October 2002, 77 senators and 296 representatives (this is not argument ad numerem, simply an illustration that it was a bipartisan decision) voted to authorize the war. Those elected officials, while I disagree broadly with many of the policies, were not stupid; they were simply ignorant because they had been provided with faulty information in close-session security conferences.

The very fact that so many Americans are screaming bloody murder over social and political injustice -- and the fact that the trend of self-hating Americanism is so prevalent -- would seem to indicate that as a nation we're not stupid. It indicates we've identified our shortcomings and are trying to address them. I believe the next election will prove that (politically active ones at least) Americans know how to learn.
  • @ WaterIsPoison, yes, true, I can't do brain surgery, or fix a clutch, or hairdress, but I have not yet had the time to learn more specialized knowledge like you. I have the paper to enroll into medical school if I wanted though. Hell, I have graduated high school with 2 profiles instead of the regular 1. But the main thing I'm talking about is common knowledge, high school level and below. =>>> Triangle
    I believe the next election will prove that (politically active ones at least) Americans know how to learn.
    1. Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.