This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Printer printing colours wrong

edited November 2007 in Technology
I have a Canon ip4300 and can't get it to work 100% in either windows or Linux.
In Linux I bought the printer driver Turbo print which gives really accurate colours all but has problems with CD/DVD labels and photo paper.
Meanwhile in windows I get all the features from the official drivers but the colour is dire. Skin comes out tinged unhealthy yellow and turquoise becomes deep blue.
I want to know how, if possible, I can calibrate the colour of my printer (I have already got my monitor set up right.) in windows to make things look normal. I know this isn't a printer forum but maybe someone has come across this problem before.
[@mods: don't you dare change the title to say "colors"]

Comments

• I think your eye drivers require updates.
  • Don't try to print CD/DVD label and photos on Linux. Scott's article about incomplete drivers comes in here. As for Windows, just calibrate it. And be 100% sure you screen is calibrated correctly. Before half a year or so back this screen was too bright. Only noticed it when I couldn't read text on a background image. Fixed it since then, don't know what I used though.
  • Colour management is a very complicated thing, actually. There are people who do that for a living. But your driver should have some sort of tool that allows you to roughly calibrate your printer.
  • edited November 2007
    Don't try to print CD/DVD label and photos on Linux.
    If you pay for the Turboprint driver things work really well. The only problem with OD labels is that you can't set it to not leave a ring around the hole in the centre if you are using labels that go right to the hole.
    I calibrated my monitor with this and my eyes with this but how do I calibrate my printer without some horribly expensive piece of kit?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    edited November 2007
    but how do I calibrate my printer without some horribly expensive piece of kit?
    But your driver should have some sort of tool that allows you to roughly calibrate your printer.
    I was going on this fact too. I mean, a nifty printer without proper tools to make it function correctly in Windows isn't that nifty. You could always try technical support.

Also, damn you. The youareanidiot.org page always makes me laugh. XD Damned annoying smileys laughing with me.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Oh, another thing I just thought of: from what applications are you printing? Colour!=colour between pretty much everything. When I work with Corel Draw and use what I made there in InDesign, the colours are different. When someone comes with a file he made on a Mac, the colours are different in Windows, because the two OSes manage colours differently. Also, when you convert CMYK to RGB, it's never quite the same. A blue in Corel Draw that consists of equal amounts of cyan and magenta appears blue on the monitor, but when you print it, it turns out in an ugly sort of purple.