This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Awesome wife waits outside in the cold for 2 1/2 hours so I can have a Wii.

edited November 2007 in Everything Else
Wiis are still nearly impossible to get here in Northeast Ohio. I've been wanting one for a long time, but I haven't been willing to do what is necessary to get one. I don't like getting up early on Sundays, not even for gaming. This morning, my wife got up at 6, drove to Toys R Us and waited in line for 2 1/2 hours in 36 degree weather (along with about 100 others) and got a Wii. So today is her day. Whatever she wants, she gets.

In the meantime, what else do I need to get besides another wimote, nunchuck and Wii Blaster?

Comments

• 36 degrees? Are you in the southern hemisphere?
    Though commendations to your wife. You'd better make it up to her.
  • edited November 2007
    36 degrees Fahrenheit.

It amazes me that the Wii is still in short supply. Either it's a manufactured shortage to artificially suggest demand, or Nintendo is incompetent.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • I believe the Wii is still in short supply because one of the companies making chips for it isn't producing enough.
  • Nintendo is putting out close to 2 million a month!

Get rechargeable AA batteries or go for those replacement packs that go right into your Wii-mote. then you just plop it down a charging station.

You might want to get one of those classic controllers if you plan on buying any VC titles. It's $20 but it beats plugging in a GC controller.
    Meaningless considering the size of the market.

I live just about 35-45 minutes southwest of Thaed, and I can vouch for his claim: There is not a store in all of northeastern Ohio that has a Wii right now. There was a golden window over the summer where a Walmart and a Target nearby each had two.
  • Super Mario Galaxy and SD card, I'll second the classic controller and a Component cable maybe.

If you want to play Gamecube games you will need a Gamecube memory card and controller.
  • edited November 2007
    I was at the mall last month when the EB Games got three Wiis in. I was tempted to buy an extra one but they were not selling at much of a profit on eBay at the time. If I see one now I will buy it and list it because Christmas is only a month away!

What really bugs me is when people list a Wii and say it comes with 5 games!!! Yeah, Wii Sports games. Even worse is when they include Wii Play in the auction and count every mini-game as a full game.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I was at the mall last month when the EB Games got three Wiis in. I was tempted to buy an extra one but they were not selling at much of a profit on eBay at the time. If I see one now I will buy it and list it because Christmas is only a month away!
    Oh jeeze, not this shit again. People who do that are assholes.
    That's worldwide.

But Steve is right, the Gamecube controller ain't worth shit for VC games. Trying to play Mario World with their busted-ass setup convinced me to put down the cash for a real one.

Super envious of the Nintendo Fan Club in Japan and their awesomely cool Super Famicom-style Classic Controller.

• But Steve is right, the Gamecube controller ain't worth shit for VC games. Trying to play Mario World with their busted-ass setup convinced me to put down the cash for a real one.

Super envious of the Nintendo Fan Club in Japan and their awesomely cool Super Famicom-style Classic Controller.
    If I were Nintendo, I would produce multiple classic controllers that are shaped like the controllers of their relative consoles (NES, SNES, and Genesis). I'm sure it would be relatively inexpensive to make and I'm sure most gamers will buy them just to get the nostalgic feel of their favorite system.
  • I'm finally having a minute to set it up now. I'll definitely pick up the GC card and controller. For some reason I forgot that it has built in wireless. It's doing it's update now. The controller really is a marvel.
  • You have a really awesome wife Thaed. Let her have fun too. As for what to buy, good/fun games of course. And a second Wiimote + nunchuck of course, but you had that covered.
  • Why are people waiting in line for Wiis? Can't you just pre-order one online and wait for it to show up eventually?
  • Most stores don't pre-order Wii Console's, Scott. I had to wait 3 hours for mine because Circuit City is a douche and won't pre-order.
  • Most stores don't pre-order Wii Console's, Scott. I had to wait 3 hours for mine because Circuit City is a douche and won't pre-order.
    There are other stores besides Circuit City.
  • I did try to find it online. The only thing in stock anywhere is a $500+ bundle. 6 months ago, I might have been able to find something. Now, at the height of the Xmas season, no one is going to let me buy it back ordered. Even if they did, I wouldn't see it until after Xmas.
  • Almost nothing will let you pre-order without a gigantic bundle.
  • Almost nothing will let you pre-order without a gigantic bundle.
    That sucks. I hate that bundle shit. If I were Nintendo, I would cut-off supply to retailers who refused to sell the console stand-alone. However, there are enough good things out for Wii at this time, that you should be able to find a bundle that has only good stuff in it, no?
  • clxclx
    edited November 2007
    I believe most companys around the world stopped taking most forms of pre-orders when they realised the back-log of orders they had.

I pre-ordered my one around about September last year, expecting to get it before x-mas, in reality it took over 7 months to get one (along with numerous calls to the people I ordered from) I actually received my extra controller and nun chuck along with a copy of Zelda all months before the console.

So far I have found no need for an SD card the console has plenty of memory of all the saved games I have so far, and I have only bought 2 Virtual console games, Mario Cart 64 and Super Mario 3. My advice for things to buy would be extra controller + nun chuck, classic controllers, and game cube ones if you really need them. Don't bother with the "zapper" or any other plastic addon, they aren't worth it.
    Post edited by clx on