This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sesame Street - Adults Only

edited November 2007 in Everything Else
The earliest episodes of Sesame Street are on DVD. However, they have an "Adults Only" label, because old school Sesame Street may be harmful to the kiddies.

No exaggeration - I remember seeing the first episode of Sesame Street. I credit it and Marvel comics, where the action always took place in New York, to beginning my appreciation for cities and adding to my appreciation of learning when I was a child. I probably would have been very different if it had not been for programs on PBS like Sesame Street and The Electric Company.

Do you have any fond memories of programs like that? What do you think of the Sesame Street people of today deciding that old school Sesame Street is not for kids?

Comments

• Stop posting my things of the day on the forum.
  • edited November 2007
    Did I post a Thing of the Day before Scott could talk about it on the show?

In the words of Steamboat Itchy: "Oh me. Oh my."
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Stop posting my things of the day on the forum.
    Not all listeners are on the forum, and nobody can voice your opinion the way you do Scott, carry on.

As for old school Sesame Street, never seen it. Sesame Street was always in Sesame Street, and with Dutch actors. I'd say it's pretty stupid, making a kids show adults only, then again, I don't know any of the old school episodes.
  • This is the Sesame Street we had in México.
    Big Bird was called "Avelardo" and he was green.
  • This is my Sesame Street :D

Big Bird is blue, and called Pino. Also, it sadly misses a bit at the start and end.
  • @DOub 13 Z - why was Big Bird -green-, yet Elmo the same? Confusing to me..
    @Nineless - Your Big Bird (Pino) lived in a trailer? Cool.

I prefer Mr Dress-up over Sesame Street or Mr Rogers. XD
  • @DOub 13 Z - why was Big Bird -green-, yet Elmo the same? Confusing to me..

Who knows, I think whenever Sesame Street localizes they only change Big Bird. As to why they made him green, my best guess is that they tried to make him look like a parrot.
    Why is that more mexican? I have no idea.
  • Because of the rainforest, maybe?
  • If you want to see something crazy, look for Israeli Sesame Street.
  • ...It looks so.. amusing... OMG... *hugs it*

I SAW A JEWISH KID. XD
  • Seeing as today is the 40th Anniversary of Sesame Street, I think it would be nice and nostalgic to post any memories or comments about Sesame Street because almost anybody who was a child (excluding HungryJoe) watched this when they were children.
  • Alls I know is, Cookie Monster eating a cookie is the funniest thing ever conceived.
  • edited November 2009
    Seeing as today is the 40th Anniversary of Sesame Street, I think it would be nice and nostalgic to post any memories or comments about Sesame Street because almost anybody who was a child (excluding HungryJoe) watched this when they were children.
    "If you didn't watch Sesame Street, you were never a real child."
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Wow, just this weekend while visiting friends we had Sesame Street on for my niece. But instead of her watching it we began watching it and saying things like,"Hey! They used this clip when I was a kid!" Then we started talking about it.

One, two, three, FOUR! FIVE! Six, seven, eight, NINE! TEN! Eleven, twelve....
  • I'd say it's pretty stupid, making a kids show adults only, then again, I don't know any of the old school episodes.
    OH AMERICA YOU LOLCOW. Trust me Nine, our kids can't handle anything these days. At least that's what their raisin-testicled parents say.

I watched tons of Sesame Street when I was little. Back when I was an Elmo fan he was still a minor character, now he's all but taken over the franchise.
  • I'd say it's pretty stupid, making a kids show adults only, then again, I don't know any of the old school episodes.
    OH AMERICA YOU LOLCOW. Trust me Nine, our kids can't handle anything these days. At least that's what their raisin-testicled parents say.

I watched tons of Sesame Street when I was little. Back when I was an Elmo fan he was still a minor character, now he's all but taken over the franchise.
    Snuffaluffagous ftw.
  • Snuffaluffagous ftw.
    I do love Snuffy, but Big Bird is where it's at. He had two movies! Also a special shout out to my man Grover, who is the main (and only) character of The Monster At The End of This Book.
  • edited November 2009
    I know I watched it when I was young, but I barely remember it. About the only PBS show I remember is Mr. Rogers. No one I know shows either one to their kids anymore, for some odd reason.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • The Monster At The End of This Book.
    You are officially on my awesome list (so is Grover). That was the best freaking book.
  • You are officially on my awesome list (so is Grover). That was the best freaking book.
    Yes, indeed. Whenever I would read that book, I can totally imagine Grover's voice and reactions as I turned each page.
  • Yes, indeed. Whenever I would read that book, I can totally imagine Grover's voice and reactions as I turned each page.
    My dad used to read it to me in Grover's voice. He did a pretty good impression of him going crazy and all.
  • I remember watching Sesame Street, Pinwheel, the Muppets, and Fraggle Rock (if it had puppets I was into it). Gosh, I loved those shows when I was a kid. Oscar the Grouch and Burt and Ernie were my favorite puppet characters on Sesame Street. I had a Sesame Street record that I just went nuts over.
    Oh, and I had the the Disco Duck record, too. I wonder if my folks have those records some place.
  • I used to watch Sesame Street religiously. I remember sitting on the floor inches away from the tv screen watching intently. I learned my ABCs and numbers and stuff from that show, before kindergarten (when they "officially" taught that stuff to us.)

My mom said that whenever there were PBS pledge breaks, I would scream and cry until the show came back on.
  • I used to (and in some ways, still do) love Sesame Street. My family would always go to Sesame Place for one day during the summer and it was always fun.
  • Snuffaluffagous ftw.
    I do love Snuffy, but Big Bird is where it's at. He had two movies! Also a special shout out to my man Grover, who is the main (and only) character ofThe Monster At The End of This Book.
    It's on my bookshelf.
  • Yes, indeed. Whenever I would read that book, I can totally imagine Grover's voice and reactions as I turned each page.
    My dad used to read it to me in Grover's voice. He did a pretty good impression of him going crazy and all.
    I did the voices for my little brother. It's more fun to read than it is to listen to!