This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

LifeSigns on DS?

edited November 2007 in Video Games
Has anyone decided to pick up "Lifesigns: Surgical Unit" for their DS despite the extremely rushed / shoddy-looking packaging? I have the original Japanese release "Tendo Dokuta 2 - Inochi no Tenbin" (Balance of Life) and was extremely interested in how the company handled the localization. I was surprised to find that all of the names were left exactlly as they were in the Japanese version and even more surprised to see that all of the honorifics were left intact. Would anyone here prefer their localized games to be handled this way? As far as the game, it's definitely worth checking out if you wanted to play a Japanese adventure game / surgical simulation. Was anyone planning on picking it up solely based on this?

Comments

• Could you tell me if it gets ridiculously hard half way through? I tried trauma center and there was no way I could do half that stuff.
    The whole translation thing is very much on a case by case basis. Phoenix Wright would probably not have come across as well with Japaneses names left intact as the comedy was more important than accuracy. A game might benefit from greater accuracy if it is a strong Japanese setting or a serious plot as it adds a layer of realism.
  • I pre-ordered Trauma Center 2 for Wii, so that's all the doctoring games I'll need.
  • Could you tell me if it gets ridiculously hard half way through? I tried trauma center and there was no way I could do half that stuff.
    The whole translation thing is very much on a case by case basis. Phoenix Wright would probably not have come across as well with Japaneses names left intact as the comedy was more important than accuracy. A game might benefit from greater accuracy if it is a strong Japanese setting or a serious plot as it adds a layer of realism.
    I agree about Phoenix Wright, even though they seemed to try really hard to keep certain puns intact. I don't think it would have affected this game as much. In the game, your superior is named "Suzu" and she has a bell around her neck all the time, but I don't know if that was an intended joke by the original game creators or not. This game doesn't even come close to being Trauma Center hard. Actually, a lot the game is spent in ADV mode talking to people and presenting things from your inventory. It's sort of like how Phoenix Wright involves lawyers, but the courtroom is one component and not the entire game. The surgeries in LifeSigns / Tendo Dokuta are that way as well.
  • I pre-ordered Trauma Center 2 for Wii, so that's all the doctoring games I'll need.
    I'm really looking forward to the cooperative play in this game.
    I'm really looking forward to the cooperative play in this game.
    I am also, but I don't think Rym will go for it. I need a better surgical partner.