This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

(Game) Music, remixes and cake.

edited November 2007 in Everything Else
So yesterday I was on the YTMND frontpage. I think I got there after watching the saddest YTMND ever, some of you have seen it so I won't bother linking it. Either way, I searched for some phrases, "You shall not pass." "Will Smith" and "The cake is a lie" and bumped into this... ytmnd.

Now, the image is nothing noteworthy, besides being a slight spoiler if you managed to avoid this spoiler since Portal came out. A snowball's chance in hell might be bigger. But the music, a remix of the ending song (SO DO NOT LISTEN IS YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED PORTAL!, or seen the ending). Now, it starts out nice, the song being played faster then it should isn't that enjoyable, but not yet annoying, but then the end. It turns into some trance/dance garbage. For the record, I hate trance, dance, house and that sort of 'music' consisting of a few noises (only high or low) repeating in a semi-random interval. However, I kinda like it. This only due to 1. the original is love, 2. it has a decent start and middle and 3. it thank god doesn't go 100% apeshit, though close.

So, what are you opinions about songs being remixed. Imho, 99% of the resulting song is crap. It might have one awesome second (the total silence one, it's used thankfully), but that doesn't redeem the entire song.

Comments

• edited November 2007
    I thought this remix was ok.

As for my opinions on remixes in general, they can be used for good or evil. OCRemix have some of the most quality remixes of anything I've ever heard because they take something to make something completely new. It's when people just put a techno beat over the existing track that remixes become evil.
    Post edited by Sail on
    edited November 2007
    That one is awesome Sail, thanks. But yeah, the techno beat remixes are worst, and sadly, are the majority (at least here). Portalcake.com... *goes hunting for the MP3.*

Found it! Sorry it took so long. Watched an 18 minute speedrun of Portal. Yes, the entire game (where you're in control) in 18 minutes and 5 seconds. Anyways, here is the thread to the song. But you don't want that, you don't want to sign up. URL hack *coughnotcough* Here's the direct link to song. He could've tried hiding it by obscurity and using hexadecimal values for all the letters.
    Post edited by ... on
  • My favourite Nine Inch Nails albums are the remix albums made by other, more talented artists. A large part of that is just getting rid of the lyrics.