This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rock Band

edited November 2007 in Everything Else
So this game is pretty damn good. I don't know how many people picked it up today, or are going to being picking it up period. If you have the cash, a few roommates or friends to split the bill, or a friend who just buys it then this game is well worth the time. I just spent about 12 hours with a large group of friends playing and even if we didn't know the songs it was still a lot of fun. Especially if you can get yourself really into it and just have fun doing it.

Has anyone else purchased it yet? or at least played or plan on playing it soon?

Comments

• I played it at the GC this year. I was kind of underwhelmed, not that the game is bad. It just seems they pushed the Guitar Hero theme to its edge by adding all these other instruments. Since I play in a small group of friends and very irregularly it doesn't make sense for me to be a game this expensive, but I can see it is a lot of fun if you've got enough friends around. ;)
  • While I have confidence this game will be worth playing, I don't think it's worth owning. I'll just be playing it at conventions, parties, etc.
  • I gotta say that I think that the guitar stuff alone is superior to Guitar Hero. There are just these little things that make it play better, like when you are using your "star power" you can still collect more of it, those notes don't just become like every other note. I also discovered that you can activate the star power without tilting the guitar, all you have to do is press the select button. It's not a big deal but it comes in handy when you think tilting the guitar could mess you up. The guitar solo sections are also really cool, as are the big finishes at the ends of certain songs.

Then of course there is the bass playing, which is actually surprisingly cool since its about getting into a "groove" and having long strings of note streaks. The multiplier on the bass goes up to 6x, so when you finally hit the star power with it you get 12x. There aren't as many notes which is probably why they bumped up the multiplier, but its still more fun then I was expecting it to be.

The drums are both fun, and hard (even on easy,) but that's just likely because I'm not used to using them yet. It feels really good to play with them, and how they came up with activating the star power as a drummer is genius, which is basically a freestyle section where you can hit any of the drums you want, once you hit enough of them a flashing note pops up at the end of the freestyle section and if you can hit that it activates. Those parts, if you can activate it, make you really feel like you're rocking out.

I haven't had a chance to play with the mic yet, and haven't done any multiplayer yet either, but right now I'm completely happy I chose it over GH3.
  • Does anybody have the game that can tell me about the Rock Band guitar? I played it a little in Best Buy, and with the demo they had up I could barely hit any notes becuase the guitar lagged and felt like a cheap piece of plastic.
  • You can press select to activate star power in GH also. Also, I've decided that star power is stupid. I like it as flavor, as it enhances the rock star fantasy, especially the way it modifies the music. I don't like it as a gameplay mechanic. In a rhythm game, I want my rhythm game skills of hitting the notes/arrows to be what determines my level of success. Building up and activating a special power is something that should stay in fighting games. You'll only catch me activating star power for the flavor of it when I get to a really rocking part in a song. If I can only pass a song by using star power, I consider that a failure.
  • Does anybody have the game that can tell me about the Rock Band guitar? I played it a little in Best Buy, and with the demo they had up I could barely hit any notes becuase the guitar lagged and felt like a cheap piece of plastic.

The guitar is actually a lot nicer then the Guitar Hero guitar. It just takes getting use to. If you strum harder or use up strokes and down strokes you can easily hit the quicker sections. Also the smaller bars mean hammer ons which you aren't suppose to strum. Plus there's the added 5 buttons that allow you to solo without strumming. If you play with it for a bit you'll probably end up really liking the way it feels compared to Guitar Hero.
    Also, I've decided that star power is stupid
    In Guitar Hero it is pretty pointless. In Rock Band it's at least smoother and serves a bit more of a purpose. If you're on guitar and the drummer blows and fails out on a section you can use the star power to bring them back in 3 times before the whole band is done. It's like that for any of the instruments.

• In Guitar Hero it is pretty pointless. In Rock Band it's at least smoother and serves a bit more of a purpose. If you're on guitar and the drummer blows and fails out on a section you can use the star power to bring them back in 3 times before the whole band is done. It's like that for any of the instruments.
    That's the part I think is stupid. There shouldn't be extra lives in rhythm games. You can either pass the song or you can't.
  • I like star power because it makes the game louder and the little people clap along. The only time I use it is when I feel that it would make the song sound better, from a musical point of view such as the final chorus of a song, a breakdown, and so on. I never use it just to get more points or anything. It's purely a musical tool in my eyes.
  • I like star power because it makes the game louder and the little people clap along. The only time I use it is when I feel that it would make the song sound better, from a musical point of view such as the final chorus of a song, a breakdown, and so on. I never use it just to get more points or anything. It's purely a musical tool in my eyes.
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
  • Rock Band kind of forces you to play on expert if you want to unlock all the songs so if someone can't really keep up with say David Bowie's voice but the drummer and guitarist are on a streak, they can keep the song going. So as dumb a lives in a rhythm game is, It definitely comes in helpful if you need it. Otherwise it's just kinda cool to use the freestyle kind of thing they have going for it at parts of the star power.
  • Rock Band kind of forces you to play on expert if you want to unlock all the songs so if someone can't really keep up with say David Bowie's voice but the drummer and guitarist are on a streak, they can keep the song going. So as dumb a lives in a rhythm game is, It definitely comes in helpful if you need it. Otherwise it's just kinda cool to use the freestyle kind of thing they have going for it at parts of the star power.
    Why don't you just practice and become better. That's the whole point with the lower levels. If you're not good, you shouldn't expect to be expert.
  • Well if you aren't a singer it's pretty hard to fluctuate between high and low pitch no matter how many times you play a game. Also there are just times when a song is crazy hard and people screw up if you can save your teammate and not have to play a 7 minutes song over again. Well then thats good.
  • edited November 2007
    Also, it's really REALLY easy to die in Rock Band. The "saving" mechanic has helped me and my group of friends out a lot of times. Also, keep in mind that there are certain parts of the game (called Sets) where you have to play multiples songs in succession. In most Sets, the band can choose which songs to play, but there are some cases where the songs are chosen for you. In those situations, the singer might not know of a song that was requested of them. Also, for drums. There are just certain parts of a song that can get incredibly confusing, even for skilled drum players like me.

If they die, they can be saved and the band can continue onto the next song without having to start the set over. It is a very useful mechanic and adds a sense of teamwork within the game.

And what do you mean, Star Power wasn't helpful at all? Obviously you haven't played on tougher difficulties! It's not just cosmetics! If you're battling someone, utilizing Star Power on spots where you KNOW you're going to do well will double your point gain and boost your score, helping you catch up to your opponent when you're behind. Also, if you are at a very tough part of a song, you can activate star power to maximize the number of points you get from every note you hit, minimizing your point loss on those sections where you just can't keep up with the pace.

There's also the question of timing. Should you use the Star Power early on, get an early lead, and possibly get it a second time later in the song? Should you save the Star Power for those situations stated earlier?
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Plastic guitar compatibility charts, PS3 for the lose.
    Do'h! Well, I've unpacked it, but I haven't played it yet. I think we'll be doing it tonight. If the singing is that hard, it looks like I'll be singing.
  • It's only hard if you play on hard or expert, and even then if you know the song it's not that bad. Unless you're going through puberty or something and can't control the pitch of your voice.
  • It's only hard if you play on hard or expert, and even then if you know the song it's not that bad. Unless you're going through puberty or something and can't control the pitch of your voice.
    Now I'm hoarse from singing. I almost couldn't do my show.
  • I also discovered that you can activate the star power without tilting the guitar, all you have to do is press the select button

That's always been the case. I hate it, I eff up more when I do this though,
  • I also discovered that you can activate the star power without tilting the guitar, all you have to do is press the select button

That's mostly implemented for the people who don't have a guitar.
    YES, you can play Rock Band/Guitar Hero without instruments (but who wants to?).
  •  
    I also discovered that you can activate the star power without tilting the guitar, all you have to do is press the select button
    That's mostly implemented for the people who don't have a guitar.
    YES, you can play Rock Band/Guitar Hero without instruments (but who wants to?).

That's like playing paintball without a gun.
  • You can press select to activate star power in GH also. Also, I've decided that star power is stupid. I like it as flavor, as it enhances the rock star fantasy, especially the way it modifies the music. I don't like it as a gameplay mechanic. In a rhythm game, I want my rhythm game skills of hitting the notes/arrows to be what determines my level of success. Building up and activating a special power is something that should stay in fighting games. You'll only catch me activating star power for the flavor of it when I get to a really rocking part in a song. If I can only pass a song by using star power, I consider that a failure.
    Scott, that's just because you're too god-damned good at video games. Those of us who have horrible reaction times or haven't practiced enough at a game to get through a song need star power for that extra boost. There are actually people who aren't gods when it comes to things like this, you know.
    Scott, that's just because you're too god-damned good at video games. Those of us who have horrible reaction times or haven't practiced enough at a game to get through a song need star power for that extra boost. There are actually people who aren't gods when it comes to things like this, you know.
    I beg to differ. I believe he stated in one of the episodes that he plays in Medium (and sometimes Hard, but only on the easier songs).
  • Scott, that's just because you're too god-damned good at video games. Those of us who have horrible reaction times or haven't practiced enough at a game to get through a song need star power for that extra boost. There are actually people who aren't gods when it comes to things like this, you know.
    Why does everyone think I'm so good at video games? I'm not that good people. I can only beat like, the first 2/3 of the career mode on hard. Most of those I can only beat with 3 stars.

If you want to get better at the game, do not use the star power to beat songs. That's like trying to learn to jump higher, but always using a pogo stick. Pick a song you can't beat, and play it over and over until you do beat it without star power. When you finally beat it, you will find that your skill has gone up considerably, and lots of other songs are now beatable. Use practice mode if you have to. If you can't beat the easiest song in the game on easy without star power, then we have a problem
  • Yes, you can get better at a song by practicing it without Star Power, but if you are going to play against someone, that mechanic is essential to win.

Plus, there are just some instances where your fingers are tired from playing a difficult song. Star Power can help you survive when your fingers just can't handle the speed of the song.
  • Yes, you can get better at a song by practicing it without Star Power, but if you are going to play against someone, that mechanic is essential to win.
    Co-op is the only Guitar Hero multiplayer worth a damn. I really don't grasp the idea of rhythm games as competition.
  • I can only beat like, the first 2/3 of the career mode on hard. Most of those I can only beat with 3 stars.

That's because GH3 is fucking ridiculously difficult. Co-op is the only Guitar Hero multiplayer worth a damn

Agree

• My friends and I split the cost of Rock Band, started a band (Oedipus and the Motherfuckers), and have played nonstop over the long weekend. Even though I'm best on guitar, I chose to sing since I knew the most songs and really enjoy karaoke (and, as I learned later, its a bitch job). As for star power and "saving" a teammate, it really adds to the cooperation and intensity of the game: If someone else screws up, I know that I have to do perfect on the next part or else they're screwed over. When I succeed, I feel like I really helped the band out, almost like healing in an RPG game. Also, the small pause in between one person's fail and save is perfect for someone else to take over. It can make for some interesting tag team moments.

Also, anyone else have trouble with screams on the microphone? I'm pretty sure it registers that big of a voice change as a different voice, which has screwed me over a few times. It also means I can't yell "WHYYYY MEEEE?" during Main Offender...
  • It should register your voice pretty much no matter how you sounds. Make sure you're not trying to digest the mic or something similar. Just because it's a game doesn't mean that proper microphone etiquette is a bad thing.