This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mario Party DS

edited November 2007 in Video Games
I picked this up last night and I am up to the third board in single player mode.

1) There are less item shops on the board
2) Items cost a lot less
3) There are "hex" items you can pick up (not buy) and place on the board
4) multi-player is single card with download
5) Very few games use the mic and you can turn them off
6) There are five boards
7) Each board ends with a boss battle

This game makes the mini games so much better (yes, there are mini-game only modes). unlike on the TV where everyone can see what you are doing POV games on the DS only show you! There is a cool 3vs1 mini game that is a big game of hide and seek in a maze, would never work on the TV.

From what Rym and Scott have said they want in a Wario Ware game on DS this is about as close as you are going to get. I'll write more later once I beat single player and try out some multi-player action.

Each minigame has a tip section. The luck games admit as such and tell you to just pick one and hope for the best!

Comments

• Does this game waste your time with lots of long and unskipable animations? Are the minigames actually games, or are most of them just random?
  • edited November 2007
    How would you say it stands up to the others? I thought about getting this because of the single-card multiplayer.

[Edit] And what Scott said.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2007
    In single player mode, each player's turn take as many seconds as they rolled on the die.

Animations can not be skipped but they feel faster than on previous games. The whole game "feels" faster.

Minigames are good. One game is FPS style where you walk around a double circle area and have to photograph each other character once. So far the games I have been playing are more skill than luck.

So far it is better than MP8, but I have only played three of the boards.

They have made good use of the dual screen. In one mini-game you have to swim away from whirlpools that are caused by three fish (one big, two small) under the water. The top screen is where you swim and the bottom is a side-view of the fish under the water. You have to watch both screens to see where the fish are going to be and where the current whirlpool is.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • In single player mode, the computer players always duel you. It is also possible to have a duel where stars are the wager even if one of the players has no stars.
  • Agreed. Everything just feels...faster. It also seems like each character runs to their destination, instead of walks.
  • I just beat the single player mode. The Bowzer mini-game is super easy if you hit the X button to change from FP mode to third person view.