This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Student Facebook, MySpace Use Predicted By Race, Ethnicity, Education"

edited November 2007 in Everything Else
Here is a study I came across that I found it to be interesting and thought I would share. It's only one study, so I wouldn't draw too big of a conclusion from it.
"The study did find statistical relevance between parental schooling and SNS preference. "There seems to be a positive relationship between years of parental schooling and Facebook and Xanga use, and a negative one between years of parental education and MySpace use," says Hargittai, assistant professor of communication studies and sociology at Northwestern University and faculty associate at the Institute for Policy Research.
Students whose parents have a college degree are significantly more likely to use Facebook than those whose parents have some college experience but no degree. MySpace users, on the other hand, are more likely to have parents with less than a high school education than those whose parents had some college experience."
Link

Comments

• Neat, that's about the third study that I've now seen more or less saying the same thing, that more education leads to Facebook and less leads to MySpace.
  • I believe I used this essay as a thing of the day or news at some point.