This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bodge-tastic home server

edited November 2007 in Technology
After failing to get a 11 year old computer to function on anything more modern than windows 95 (98? Can't remember.) I got one of the computers the school was giving away and two things I noticed. Firstly, it was extremely small, well organized and spacious and, secondly, it was the quietest desktop I have ever had the fortune to use. I had trouble working out whether it or my laptop was making the most noise.

Having installed Xubuntu on one I am thinking on going back and getting another one to use as a combination bedroom server/router as I have no money, many old computer parts and too much time on my hands.

My plan is thus: Rig up old system with 250gb drive I currently use for storing files, three lan ports (They only have 3 PCI slots.) and install an Arch Linux server to be used to:
1) Use bridging to route traffic from the other two ports.
2) Use a samba share for backup and keeping a media library.
3) Use Torrentflux so I don't have to keep files on my somewhat squeezed laptop hard drive.

Other things I'd like to add eventually:
1) Extra 500gb hard drives as time goes along.
2) Add wireless routing (My house is still wires only.)
3) Media center to watch stuff on my 19" CRT

I thought I'd put that all up so you could pick through it and make suggestions. I have a few questions:
1) These computers are quite old (5-8 years) so would the inefficiency of the power supplies be a problem if left on 24/7?
2) Can I do this any way that is less prone to not work than setting up a linux server?
3) What do I use go get remote terminal access?

Comments

• 3) What do I use go get remote terminal access?
    SSH.
  • First off, I can't answer any of your questions. Secondly, good luck and yes, get a second one. It's amazing how much those old computers and processors can do when running Linux. Heck, I saw a Youtube video yesterday of an 11 year old Pentium 3 computer running Compiz Fussion. Now I must say the 3D cube desktop skipped a bit, but that was because there was a basketball video running in a window on one of the desktops.

But, I can give some random knowledge. If you want to use one of those old computers as a media center, take into account that newer video codecs and higher resolutions require some power. My 3Ghz P4 coughs sometimes in Windows when watching 720p H.264 anime full screen with nothing else running, even with super fast codecs.

Once again, good luck.
  • First off, I can't answer any of your questions. Secondly, good luck and yes, get a second one. It's amazing how much those old computers and processors can do when running Linux. Heck, I saw a Youtube video yesterday of an 11 year old Pentium 3 computer running Compiz Fussion. Now I must say the 3D cube desktop skipped a bit, but that was because there was a basketball video running in a window on one of the desktops. But, I can give some random knowledge. If you want to use one of those old computers as a media center, take into account that newer video codecs and higher resolutions require some power. My 3Ghz P4 coughs sometimes in Windows when watching 720p H.264 anime full screen with nothing else running, even with super fast codecs. Once again, good luck.

That video was posted here in the forums.
    By the by Omnutia, keep us posted and good luck.
  • edited November 2007
    My 3Ghz P4 coughs sometimes in Windows when watching 720p H.264 anime full screen with nothing else running, even with super fast codecs.
    I have a 1.8ghz Sempron; 720 (I thought "p" & "i" were just TV things.) video in h.264 runs smoothly even with Firefox and other stuff in the background.

I'm going to get the PC from school on Monday. This should be fun.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
    edited November 2007
    My 3Ghz P4 coughs sometimes in Windows when watching 720p H.264 anime full screen with nothing else running, even with super fast codecs.
    I have a 1.8ghz Sempron; 720 (I thought "p" & "i" were just TV things.) video in h.264 runs smoothly even with Firefox and other stuff in the background.

I'm going to get the PC from school on Monday. This should be fun.
    It coughs whenever there's a scene change to some everything-moves-and-changes-colors-and-is-insane-and-really-sudden moments. I think The Girl Who Leapt Through Time had one of those moments. In Linux I have no problems though. I first thought the same was happening in the Baccano! opener when they introduce Jacuzzi and Nice. But it's intentional afaik. And the anime is done! YEAH!

Anyways, 720i? Never heard of that, lets Wiki:
    720i is an erroneous term found in numerous sources and publications. Typically it is a typo in which the author is referring to the 720p HDTV (high-definition television) format. However in some cases it is presented as an actual alternative format to 720p. In fact, no proposed or existing broadcast standard permits 720 interlaced lines in a video frame at any frame rate.
    The p means it's progressive. There is a 1080i though. Which uses double the fps(Hz) then it's p counterpart. That is because interlaced video (from what I can make out of the little table to the bottom of the 720p Wiki article) only refreshes half of the lines per frame.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Ok, question. I want to use two ethernet ports to route through the server to my laptop as the router is full. Should I use crossover or normal cable?
  • Ok, question. I want to use two ethernet ports to route through the server to my laptop as the router is full. Should I use crossover or normal cable?
    If you are connecting your laptop directly into a network card in a desktop computer, you want a crossover cable.
  • Ta, I'll update you when I'm done.
  • edited December 2007
    Woot! I am now browsing the internets through the wonders of ethernet bridging. Next up, SSH
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Excellent. Have you played with Damn Small Linux yet?
  • Praise me for I am the cleverness! I just mounted the main storage partition as the swap! it is now corrupted and I lost about 100gb of data.
  • Praise me for I am the cleverness! I just mounted the main storage partition as the swap! it is now corrupted and I lost about 100gb of data.
    Ouch, damn. Daaaaaamn. *in pain trying to imagine that* You have a backup of that storage? Keep us updated and good luck with your adventure.
  • Fortunately 60gb of that was backup which means I can just make another when I have the server sorted out.
  • Question: If I wanted to set up port forwarding in order to get to the web based torrent client would changing the listening port on the server do much to stop people finding a web server at my ip address unless they knew the port or would google sniff it out anyway?