This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Epic Failing at Ubuntu.

edited November 2007 in Technology
I have so many n00bish questions and problems about Ubuntu right now. I hope it doesn't get annoying.

Well I tried to download Skype for Linux but it keeps saying: Only one software management tool is allowed to run at the same time. But I'm not running anything else. I don't get it?

When I was trying to try out ReZound I hit record and the window vanishes. What is with that? It's like it wont let me try it.

With Audacity the recording is very low and robotic and if I press stop and then try to record again it say there's an error with the sound device. Help...T_T.

Can I use Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop etc. in this?

Any good torrent downloaders for Ubuntu as well? Something..Bit Cometesque?

Should I give up and return to Windows? Should I just try more to get it?

Again I hope the questions weren't too much.

Comments

• edited November 2007
    For the bittorrenting I suggest you try Deluge.
    The installer problem should fix itself if you restart.
    As for the sound problem, well.. welcome to linux.
    Seriously though, could you try and tell us what card you are using?
    Addition: Wine doors will let you install Flash and Dreamweaver but I'm not sure about Photoshop yet
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Rezound on Ubuntu has a bug that causes it to crash like that. They still haven't fixed it, and the bug is still open. I have to try Ubuntu studio to see if it has the same bug. If it does, that's messed up. If it doesn't, why hasn't the fix been brought over to Ubuntu? We work around the bug by using jack.
  • Any good torrent downloaders for Ubuntu as well? Something..Bit Cometesque?
    WARNING! GRUMPY OPINION. Bit Comet != Good torrent downloader.[1][2][3] Thus something Bit Cometesque cannot be a good torrent downloader. Use Wine with µTorrent or Azureus, or Deluge, though I know nothing of it and Omnutia is the first to ever tell me about it, and then there is also BitTornado, but the last time I tried that it was one window/torrent and the moment you closed it meant you couldn't resume seeding that torrent.

As for Adobe products, Wine doors is apparently useful, or just use a Linux alternative. F4L (Flash4Linux) for Flash and Gimp for Photoshop (there are probably more, these are just the two I know off). For Dreamweaver you just need http://www.w3schools.com and a text editor. Learning to use Dreamweaver takes just as long as learning html.

Good luck Viga dear :D *waves*
  • Use the command-line bittorrent client that comes with Ubuntu. btlaunchmanycurses.

• The installer problem should fix itself if you restart.
    I restarted and it still wont let me install anything. Not even the Wine Doors. It still says: Only one software management tool is allowed to run at the same time.
    Use the command-line bittorrent client that comes with Ubuntu. btlaunchmanycurses.
    Can't find it. Do I go under something?
  • I restarted and it still wont let me install anything. Not even the Wine Doors. It still says: Only one software management tool is allowed to run at the same time.
    Obviously there is a software management tool that is still running, and you need to close it. Once you close it, you will be able to use apt or synaptic to manage your software. Then you will be able to get bittorrents installed.
  • I restarted and it still wont let me install anything. Not even the Wine Doors. It still says: Only one software management tool is allowed to run at the same time.
    Obviously there is a software management tool that is still running, and you need to close it. Once you close it, you will be able to use apt or synaptic to manage your software. Then you will be able to get bittorrents installed.
    The thing is I don't know where or how to close it.
  • The thing is I don't know where or how to close it.
    Go to the System->Administration->System Monitor menu and click the processes tab. Look for a process that is doing something with apt, aptitude, synaptic, gdebi, dpkg, etc. If there aren't any, then you probably just have to delete the lock file. You can delete the lock file with this command.

sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    edited November 2007
    I restarted and it still wont let me install anything. Not even the Wine Doors. It still says: Only one software management tool is allowed to run at the same time.
    The thing is I don't know where or how to close it.
    Check the right top corner, is there a orange square with a yellow star in it? If it is click on it and (update then) close. Might solve that problem. Also, how are you trying to install the software? Through synaptic or command line?Scott's superior Linux knowledge should help.
    Post edited by ... on
  • sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    Cools. So where do I type it at?
    edited November 2007
    The terminal. You'll have to type in your password after that to confirm that you are you. sudo means Super User Do, which translates to Let me do this action with complete access to everything on this system. The terminal is under Applications. Can't tell you exactly where since I can't come up with the translations of the words. Sorry.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited November 2007
    Okay I typed it in. It still doesn't help. Do I have to do something after I type it in? Do I just close the terminal?

Nevermind...but now it wont let me type me password. argh.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Does it come up with any error message or just go strait to the next line?
    Dn another note does package manager prompt you for a password when opening it?
  • Does it come up with any error message or just go strait to the next line?
    Dn another note does package manager prompt you for a password when opening it?
    No error message but it does make me type my password in package manager.
  • Well that means it successfully removed the lock. So is it still complaining that you have two package managers open?

Could you just try entering that command in the command line, pressing enter then pressing the up arrow key on the next line and pressing enter. If you don't get any errors both times then something is remaking the lock file so it can be deleted again.
  • That's not working. It wont do anything when I press the up arrow and enter.

The Synaptic Package Manager also says this:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
    E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

Could that be the problem too?
  • Type "sudo dpkg --configure -a" into the command line.
  • YES!

Success! Thank you! <3

Heh...I'm a n00b so thanks a lot for the patience with me.
  • Come back any time.
    Unlike windows you sometimes want to do what the computer tells you to.
    edited November 2007
    Unlike windows you sometimes want to do what the computer tells you to.
    Windows: "I broke! FIX ME!"
    Linux: "Hmmm, I can't do that, type this and I can."
    Linux is pretty forgiving on some points. Not on removing files though, that is the only nice thing about Windows, delete something accidentally and you can get it back. Not so in Linux afaik.

Oh, and Scott, can you resume downloading/seeding torrents with that command line torrent client?
    Post edited by ... on
  • Linux is pretty forgiving on some points. Not on removing files though, that is the only nice thing about Windows, delete something accidentally and you can get it back. Not so in Linux afaik.
    If you delete something from the command line with the rm command, then it's gone. You can technically get it back maybe, but it will be difficult. If you delete a file from a file manager like nautilus it will go in a recycle bin.
    Oh, and Scott, can you resume downloading/seeding torrents with that command line torrent client?
    Even the very first bittorrent client can do that.
  • If you delete something from the command line with the rm command, then it's gone. You can technically get it back maybe, but it will be difficult. If you delete a file from a file manager like nautilus it will go in a recycle bin.
    Unless you hate the garbage can. I hate deleting a file and it then just sitting in my garbage can instead of being gone.
    Even the very first bittorrent client can do that.
    Let me rephrase. Can you resume downloading, resume seeding, pause, stop, change storage location, etc all in one window? As far as I know the very first bitttorrent client can't do that. You have one window/torrent and have to keep it open until you have reached your seeding goal or else you'll have to restart the torrent. Okay, you (hopefully) have the files by then, but your ratio will be back to 0. Now I don't care too much about ratio's, but I like to know when I've seeded at least 1 entire copy of the entire torrent so that I can pause/stop it and direct some more bandwidth to uploading a different torrent.
  • edited November 2007
    Let me rephrase. Can you resume downloading, resume seeding, pause, stop, change storage location, etc all in one window? As far as I know the very first bitttorrent client can't do that. You have one window/torrent and have to keep it open until you have reached your seeding goal or else you'll have to restart the torrent. Okay, you (hopefully) have the files by then, but your ratio will be back to 0. Now I don't care too much about ratio's, but I like to know when I've seeded at least 1 entire copy of the entire torrent so that I can pause/stop it and direct some more bandwidth to uploading a different torrent.
    I don't pay any attention to uploading, only downloading. The original bittorrent client, or at least the first one I ever used (which was long ago), could download part of a torrent now, then resume downloading from where it left off at some point in the future. Every bittorrent client I have ever seen can do that.

The way I use the command line bittorrent application is this.

First, I make a folder where I want all my torrents to be. Then I go to that folder and I execute btlaunchmanycurses .This starts the bittorrent client in that folder. When I have a new torrent I want to download, I put the .torrent file in that folder. It automatically starts downloading. I can see in the terminal window when that torrent has finished downloading. When I see that, I delete the .torrent file to stop the downloading. Then I take the file, rename it, and move it to its correct place in my file system. I just leave the torrent client running all the time. It might screw up once in a blue moon. In that case, I just restart the client, and it picks up right where it left off.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Ah, the greedy approach to bittorrent, share only as long as you aren't finished. Meh, everyone is different. And I prefer to seed at least 100% so that someone else can actually get the files complete. I'll stick with µTorrent.