This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Math Puzzle: Can you get the answer on the first try?

I did! This guy posts puzzles weekly. See if you can get the right answer..
Puzzles!

Comments

edited November 2007
    I got the correct answer. But filled in my first idea first, which was wrong. Then did the correct answer. I must say that the puzzle isn't that good/clear. The line "Every object is unique." is useless. What's considered an object, are the kids and cats objects? Does unique mean there's only one instance of said object, thus one child, one big cat, one small cat, one leg? I filled in 1 first since it's a misleading puzzle. The correct answer is just dumb math. "OMG This is easy sum [insert sum] but let me put a misleading story in the hope to make it harder."

EDIT: The correct answers imo are: 0 (thanks Scott), 1, 10, 238 and the 'real' answer.
    EDIT2: Thanks Scott
    Post edited by ... on
  • Wow, that is not a puzzle. It is just multiplication. We're talking 3rd grade people. However, on my first "try" before doing any math I typed the answer 0. The reason for that is because it says Everything listed above is entirely in the bus. This implies that other things may not necessarily be in the bus. Below that line it lists the legs it wants you to count. It could have been a trick where the cats and kids all "had" legs, but they were outside the bus. Perhaps outside the windows, or dismembered in some gruesome way. It's already an impossible situation with so many cats and kids in a bus. As it was presenting itself as a puzzle, which I say it is not, I immediately thought too hard about it. This "puzzle" is for the lose.
  • If the legs were outside the bus, wouldn't that violate their previous statement of entirely in the bus?
    edited November 2007
    Edit, nvm -_-;
    Post edited by ... on
  • Not much of a puzzle, but I was entirely awaiting a trick question at the end like "how many legs does the bus driver have?"
  • If the legs were outside the bus, wouldn't that violate their previous statement ofentirelyin the bus?
    It says everything listed above is entirely in the bus. The legs are listed below.
  • Yeah, it's not a puzzle it's a story problem. I would say 3rd grade math is about right.
  • If the legs were outside the bus, wouldn't that violate their previous statement ofentirelyin the bus?
    It says everything listedaboveis entirely in the bus. The legs are listed below.
    True, but it also states as a fact that every child and cat has 2 and 4 legs respectively. So the legs are part of the child, and if the legs are dismembered the kids and cats aren't complete.
  • Umm... no offense, but that "puzzle" was painfully easy.
  • True, but it also states as a fact that every child and cat has 2 and 4 legs respectively. So the legs are part of the child, and if the legs are dismembered the kids and cats aren't complete.
    It says they have the legs. It is possible for to have legs and for them to not be in the bus. Have can simply mean ownership as well as present-time physical possession. It is entirely ambiguous whether the legs the kids and cats have are in the bus or not. For all we know, they could all be quadriplegics who own lots of tables and chairs that are in the warehouse outside the bus.
  • True. The puzzle just boils down to semantics.
  • This is why we have a hard time with many board games, like Hellas. Ambiguous rules.
  • My first reaction to that was trick question. I deduced that with the limited text given, and the attempt to stifle any questions about the proposed problem with "everything above is in the bus" it was just a math thing. Anyway is this an example of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal? The closer you examine the question the more difficult it becomes to solve?
  • edited November 2007
    This problem is really, really dumb. I got the correct answer at first easily but because of my misconception that it was suppose to be a puzzle i entered "The correct number of legs" since it stated that "The correct number of legs is the answer to continue." -_-" Anyways, heres a real puzzle for you guys, one of my favorites.

Post edited by iruul on
  • Oh god, what was the answer to that one again. Damn, one of those cases where one goes (I in this case) "OMG YES! That was it! Damnit." when the answer comes around.
  • This problem is really, really dumb. I got the correct answer at first easily but because of my misconception that it was suppose to be a puzzle i entered "The correct number of legs" since it stated that "The correct number of legs is the answer to continue." -_-" Anyways, heres a real puzzle for you guys, one of my favorites.

The second figure is not a triangle. It is a quadratic with angles very close to 180 degrees.
    If you look at the two right triangles on the figure, the slopes are not the same

2/5 =/= 3/8

This "puzzle" is true, but misleading
  • The easiest way to find the answers are to just copy and paste them in Google. WikiAnswers saved me a lot of time.