This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Good Video Editing Program?

edited December 2007 in Everything Else
Greetings everyone. Since I'm considering making a YouTube series with the sole purpose of teaching Go, I'd like a program where I can easily superimpose words and/or pictures on the screen. What would be the best program to do video editing with that style in mind?

Keep in mind, my budget isn't the biggest.

Comments

• If you're on Windows, then the included (on my machine at least) Windows Movie Maker is pretty useful. On linux, I haven't found anything that works as well.
  • If you have a Mac and a shit-ton of money, Final Cut Pro.
  • edited December 2007
    I too love Final Cut Pro, but for a YouTube video Windows Movie Maker or iMovie are perfect. For linux I've yet to find anything decent.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I played around with Windows Movie Maker and it seems relatively simple and easy to use. There's one problem, though. How do you move around subtitles and how do you superimpose pictures on top of the video?
  • edited December 2007
    Actually, that's not quite what I was looking for. What if I want text to be exactly adjacent to a piece that I have on the board? I want to put the text in odd places, like when they speak Japanese in Heroes.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Ohhh. I have no idea. I'll go mess around with the program and see if I can figure it out.
  • I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible. Allow me to recommend another, less free program that I own and know for a fact that it will allow you to move the titles around: Pinnacle Studio.
  • Ugh, less free. That doesn't sound very inviting.

Torrents ftw?
  • Not to be annoying but "Editing" has only one "t".

I do incredibly basic stuff with -
    Virtualdub Mod
    Besweet (for dabbling with audio formats and DVDs)
    DGpulldown (for changing framerates)
    Cinemacraft Encoder (for DVD video)
    Adobe Imageready and Photoshop are basically where I go for most of the stuff that you're interested in visually.
  • If you have no problem with Torrents get Adobe Premiere it's the tool most professionals use, as far as I know.
  • edited December 2007
    Ugh, I put 2 T's, didn't I?

And wait, you can do video editing on Photoshop?
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Bumping this for updates.

I am also going to start working on a few videos, and my budget is basically limitless (Torrents), so I'm wondering if I should go with Pinnacle Studio, Aodbe Premiere (which I tried and thought was clunky), or something else?
  • I use currently use Adobe Premier and Magix Movie Edit Pro 15.
  • Man. I was an idiot. Blast from the freaking past.

Adobe Premiere is what I use now, though obviously this Go series didn't pull through. I doubt there's any interest anyway.
  • edited December 2009
    Okay, I got a copy of Premiere Pro CS3, but it lags while live rendering the video in the preview window. I'm on a core 2 duo 2.66, 2 gigs of ram, and a Radeon HD 3850 card, so I would think it could handle it. Any thoughts?

Also, video is 30FPS, 1024x640, just for reference.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Okay, I got a copy of Premiere Pro CS3, but it lags while live rendering the video in the preview window. I'm on a core 2 duo 2.66, 2 gigs of ram, and a Radeon HD 3850 card, so I would think it could handle it. Any thoughts?

You're rendering a high res video. You definitely can't handle it.

You know how we always talk about how 90% of people just need a netbook, and one of the few things you actually need a powerful PC for is editing video. We're not kidding. Even if you went out and got a $5000 PC, it will not be instant and smooth.
  • edited December 2009
    Okay, I got a copy of Premiere Pro CS3, but it lags while live rendering the video in the preview window. I'm on a core 2 duo 2.66, 2 gigs of ram, and a Radeon HD 3850 card, so I would think it could handle it. Any thoughts?

You're rendering a high res video. You definitely can't handle it.

You know how we always talk about how 90% of people just need a netbook, and one of the few things you actually need a powerful PC for is editing video. We're not kidding. Even if you went out and got a $5000 PC, it will not be instant and smooth.
    So I guess my only options are to use a lower quality video or pre-render the videos I want to work with, right?

Edit: Are there any downsides to pre-rendering, other than having to wait?
  • edited December 2009
    Hey kids, finally something I know about on these forums! (I'm a professional video editor).

Ok so in terms of software the pros use either Avid or Final Cut Pro (Avid dominates Hollywood, Final Cut pretty much everywhere else). FCP is only available on a Mac but is the best option as it's much (much) easier to learn than Avid and much easier to pirate.
    For that reason as has been mentioned here PC people who want to do some editing often use Premiere (The industry itself is 100% Apple) and it will get the job done for you. However you can get a free 30 day trial of Avid Media Composer 4 and torrenting has gotten easier with it, so if you want to check out what Hollywood films are cut on go ahead.

Yes, the big key to efficiency is rendering. However there are a lot of traps people fall into that slow down the process. The biggest is to make sure the format of your media matches the format of your sequence, otherwise you'll have to render everything constantly because your computer will be converting the files all the time. If they are the same format then you should be able to play your media in real time until you start doing effects / colour correction etc.

Another thing is if possible to put your ''scratch disks'' (where your media files are on your computer) on an external hard drive (only if you can connect it via Firewire 400/800 at the very least), as having your media on the same drive as your editing application is generally a big no no and will slow you down.

If you're interested, what we do in the industry is capture the media files in a low-res ''offline'' format (generally DV PAL/NTSC) and work on that, then ''conform'' when done to the full quality HD or wtv files. However this is obviously not something you'd be doing outside of a work environment.

It obviously all depends what format you're shooting on. But for reference, with a properly organised system I can run DVCPRO HD 1080p and HDV 1080i footage from my base model aluminium Macbook Pro (lower spec than you have) in real time with no need to render. Obviously when you start doing effects and stuff the need for a more powerful machine is unavoidable.

In response to your question, there are no downsides to pre-rendering, your output will always be full quality, but the trick is always to minimise the times you're sat around doing nothing. Also remember that often you don't need to see full quality, full frame rate footage when you're editing (obviously it can't be too bad). I'm not aware of how Premiere works as I've always been on FCP, but I'm sure there are ways to playback in lower quality and then output at full-res.

Have fun!

Edit:
    For linux I've yet to find anything decent.
    VLC are about to release there own video editing software but I'm not holding out much hope. With editing you want your system to be as stable and as simple as possible, thus why everyone uses OSX.
    Post edited by Linton on
  • @Sail: Have you tried OpenShot, Lives, or Pitivi? They're mostly Moviemaker style but might be ok for you.
  • Great post! I do have a few questions though.
    I'm not aware of how Premiere works as I've always been on FCP, but I'm sure there are ways to playback in lower quality and then output at full-res.
    I couldn't find anything in Premiere that would do this. Seems like something obvious, but I'm at a loss as to where it is.
    If they are the same format then you should be able to play your media in real time until you start doing effects / colour correction etc.
    All I did was start a new project and drop in one .avi file, and it lags like a son-of-a-bitch.
    If you're interested, what we do in the industry is capture the media files in a low-res ''offline'' format (generally DV PAL/NTSC) and work on that, then ''conform'' when done to the full quality HD or wtv files.
    So how would I go about doing this? If I just make new copies of the video clips I have at a lower quality and make my movie using those, how do I insert the better videos without changing anything else? If I've cut the videos in the process, will it automatically know?
  • @Sail: Have you tried OpenShot, Lives, or Pitivi? They're mostly Moviemaker style but might be ok for you.
    I never said Moviemaker is good software. I only said that for a simple YouTube video, it's all you need. OpenShot is totally awfully cheesy and tacky, not good for anything you want to look semi-professional. Lives I couldn't even get to work half the time when I tried it. Haven't tried Pitivi, but I don't feel I need to. The VLC software looks poorly laid out and very bare bones, but one can hope that with the kind of community that VLC has that one day it will evolve into something powerful.

FCP is the king of video editing software, and I really have been spoiled by it to the point that almost any other video editing software is unusable. For Windows, though, Pinnacle is pretty damned decent. The biggest problem with it though is that it's a money sink because they make you pay per feature and effect that you want to use. As in, you'll be browsing through transitions or something and come across the perfect one, only to find you have to play $15 for the effects pack that it comes in.

Much like open source games and open source graphic design software, 99% of open source video editing projects are absolutely worthless for any need beyond a very basic one.
  • I love Sony Vegas Pro. I'm using 8.0 cause I'm too lazy and cheap to upgrade.
  • All I did was start a new project and drop in one .avi file, and it lags like a son-of-a-bitch.
    Bang there's you're problem.

.avi is a terrible format to cut on. it's an output format meant for playing not working with. What you need to do is convert these files before you start working on them you want them to be in Quicktime .mov files, then you shouldn't have a problem.

I would generally do this in a program called Compressor but it's Mac only. The thing is that I assume you have multiple different clips so you want a program that can batch convert them rather than having to do them individually which would be quite annoying. (if you only have a few then download Quicktime Pro 7 and export them to QT files - simple). There are quite a few different programs that do this but I don't know off the top of my head which will allow batch converting, you could try out things like Sorenson Squeeze, MPEG Streamclip or QuickTime Pro and see which works best for your needs.

Also another option that might work for you is to put the .avis into your Premiere timeline and then export the sequence as a Quicktime movie (I'm sure premiere will let you do this) this should convert the file for you. Then you delete the originals from the project, drag back in the QT file and it should be smooth from then on.

Basically you're having this problem because your camera is converting your files .avis as they're shot, which is common in consumer cameras that are made for home videos where they don't expect you to do any editing. That's why its going straight into an output and not a working format.

Let me know what you settle on.
    If you're interested, what we do in the industry is capture the media files in a low-res ''offline'' format (generally DV PAL/NTSC) and work on that, then ''conform'' when done to the full quality HD or wtv files.
    So how would I go about doing this
    Ok basically what you do is capture them in low-quality, do the cut. Then ''make the files offline'' (basically delete the media files but maintain the data of where the cuts are and what the Timecode for each is) then batch recapture and the system uses the Timecode to place the new high quality media in the same places. However this is something you really don't want to be going near, It will go wrong! Anyway that's something you only need if you're working with HDCAM footage or something like that, your problem is definitely the .avi files.
  • edited December 2009
    I was under the impression that we were trying to minimize sitting and waiting. :P Just one 5 minute clip is at 10% completion, at three and a half minutes.Turns out it took all of my clips and threw them together automatically. 32 minutes of video instead of 5.

I'll let you know what happens when it finishes.
  • (DOUBLE POST OMG)

It converted fine, and looking at it in Premiere, it's fine. I'll get around to editing it later.

Anyway, my new issue is that I was going to try Pinnacle Studio 14, which I just torrented, but it says "This file is unsupported." It's a .mov file with the default codec settings.