This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

eBaum's World does it again

edited December 2007 in Everything Else
I don't want to rewrite it so I take this post right off my blog

I am a big fan of the Webcomic Extralife and also the weekly Podcast it's creator Scott Johnson puts out. Through it, I have been referred to a lot of cool things I might not have found otherwise, such as Commissioned or Comics Coast to Coast. I have to thank him for many hours of entertainment and joy.

Scott is a creative man. One of his most recent endeavors is a poster which depicts 56 different kinds of geeks and is drawn in his webcomic style. While the poster was drawn during summer and already went into production in October, it has recently been adopted by the internet. Amongst others, a blogger at USAToday found it very interesting.

While this is all very good for Scott in particular, as it is always good to get your name out if you are a creative person, it also attracts less enjoyable company. For example, as I just learned one of the bottom feeders of the internet, eBaumsworld, just ripped the images of Scott's personal flicker account and presents them as their own. No credit given whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I am fond of the idea of free traveling information, creative commons and so on, but one needs to give credit where credit is due.

What aggravates me the most is the message at the bottom of the page.

"If you are the original creator of material featured on this website and want it removed, please contact the webmaster.
Copyright © 1998-2007 eBaum's World Inc."

While I do not have any first hand experience, I have heard other members of web communities I visit discuss how eBaum's World often just steals random cool or interesting things from other sites, rebranding it with it's own logo and just putting it out there.

The sheer fact of the message mixed in with a copyright claim right below is just hilarious. I am not sure if the content on the site is user submitted or generated by editors, but I highly doubt that eBaum's World holds any copyright on any content it presents.

As far as I can tell, eBaum's is pretty much worthless anyway unless you are somebody who has nothing better to do on than hang out on the internet all day, like me, but there are by far better places than some cheap ripoff-anything-we-can site.

Comments

• Eh... eBaum is a one-man-4chan. Bastard doesn't care about copyrights and intellectual property. There's a flash video with a Lemon Demon song about eBaum. Go find it on Newgrounds.
  • Eh... eBaum is a one-man-4chan. Bastard doesn't care about copyrights and intellectual property. There's a flash video with a Lemon Demon song about eBaum. Go find it on Newgrounds.
    4chan doesn't claim to own any of the content posted to it.

Also, here's that Lemon Demon music video.
  • 4chan doesn't claim to own any of the content posted to it.
    I meant as in the not caring about copyrights and the like. eBaum doesn't claim it either, the site is just copyrighted by eBaum, it just happens to be right below the disclaimer making them a hypocrite.