This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help us find something

edited December 2007 in Everything Else
Alright, check this out. We want to run Fanboy Feud at some upcoming convention in the next year or so. Basically it's just Family Feud with a geeky theme. Now, playing Family Feud with maybe 50 people in a small room is easy. You can use a white board or even make the game out of cardboard. To play with a lot of people, you need video on the projector. That means software. We could write the software if we wanted, but that would take a lot of time. It would also generally suck. Of course, I went to Google to see if software already exists, and here is what I have discovered.

Back in the day a guy named Todd Robinson created some Family Feud Presentation software. It was basically perfect and awesome. The problem is that it was so perfect and awesome that he got hired to actually make game show presentation software for real. Because of this, he took all his software off of the web. Here is the story in detail.

Despite this software being effectively impossible to find on the web, some people out there still have it. People have been using this software at conventions as recently as PAX '07. If you look in the comments on that Joystiq story, you will see that Todd Robinson himself confirms that they are indeed using his software. That means there are people out there who still have copies of this software.

Using Google, I was unable to find this software. The Pirate Bay didn't have it either. If anyone can deliver to us a copy of this software, we will give you a handsome reward, perhaps a tidy sum of cash. It doesn't even have to be this exact software. We will also give the reward if you are able to deliver something that is equivalent in functionality and quality.

Comments

• Sourceforge.net has some game software. They have this Jeopardy software.
  • Sourceforge.net has some game software. They havethisJeopardysoftware.
    I know, I looked there as well. Maybe we will do Jeopardy one day, but right now we are looking for Family Feud.
  • I would suggest going to the PA forums to talk to the people who ran that panel. I don't have access to the Joystiq website, so I don't know if it was ran at a panel or not. However, I tried accessing the PA forums, unfortunately it's blocked. The people who run PAX are pretty cool, and if they have a copy, maybe they can give you a copy.
  • How about here? (not the first link - that goes back to Robinson)

Or here?
  • PA forums are too scary for us. Besides, the point is that we don't have the time to bother go finding this thing. This is why we are asking other people to do it. If you think you can get it in the PA forums, then go do so. We will reward you, if you are successful.
  • How about here?(not the first link - that goes back to Robinson)

Or here?
    The second site you link to here is a spam site with nothing useful.

The first site you link to has two links. The first link goes to the original site which does not have the software, as you know. The second link on that site isn't to download the software itself, but to a separate program that helps you create surveys.

We wouldn't be asking for help or offering a reward if this were easy.
  • edited December 2007
    The second site you link to here is a spam site with nothing useful.

The first site you link to has two links. The first link goes to the original site which does not have the software, as you know. The second link on that site isn't to download the software itself, but to a separate program that helps you create surveys.
    Sorry. I knew the first link of the first site was bad. I said so in my post. I can't look at the program the second link sends you to because I'm at work. Yeah - the second site was spam, wasn't it? Sorry again, but what do you want from me? I'm old and tired.

One last try then. I know it's not a download, but it looks like you could pay these people to put together a family feud type dealie.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Here are some flash based alternatives, but I'm sure that's not quite what you wanted. I'll keep looking.
  • edited December 2007
    I don't know if I'll have time tonight. However, I know some people who were/are PAX enforcers from previous years. I'll see if they can find out who ran the panel and if they have a copy.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited December 2007
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • edited December 2007
    Why not set it up with Flash, and make it read the questions and answers from a text file?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Here is some software for Family Feud. It's cheesy looking, but it's at least a customizable game.
  • edited December 2007
    I'll keep looking, but I wonder if this is the same guy in Usenet?
    Post edited by am_dragon on
  • I'll keep looking, but I wonder if this is the same guy inUsenet?
    I would pretty much guarantee that it is the same guy.
  • I got a response from a project manager from PA, and she informed me that the guys from Chatterbox Radio ran the panel. So if you haven't already found the software, perhaps you can try contacting them for it. Sorry I couldn't do more.