This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I want a square inch of land to...

edited December 2007 in Everything Else
Alright, back in the '50s this was dreamt up by a marketer working with Quaker oats. Basically they went to the Yukon and bought some land, around 200 square archers acres, and then proceeded to subdivide it into one square inch pieces having the result of creating the world largest subdivision. And then give it away, to over 20 million children.

All that I have to say about this is brilliant! I wish they could do something like this now a days.

Comments

• around 200 square archers
    Prepare the night arrows!
  • I'm pretty sure my grandpa has one of these! Based on looking at the picture, and from memory I think it was the same as the example shown in the link.
  • I remember hearing of this a few years back. I think I rather have a fun toy than a square inch of dirt at a place I will never visit.
  • Oh? But what could be better then being a land owner at the age of eight? And really what fun toy can you get from a cereal box? A Captain Crunch whistle? what can that do?
  • The joy of annoying others with my whistle is much more desirable. Waking them up abruptly, disrupting their quiet time. Ah...I miss being a little kid.
  • I hate to be cynical, but why is this so great? The land is absolutely useless. Teaching kids to acquire material goods that have no value is a good lesson? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Sounds like somebody fell for a marketing scheme.
  • Maybe I'm missing something here.
    I think what you are missing is that fact that someone trying to sell you oatmeal isn't really trying to teach you a lesson.
  • I'd make the world's tallest toothpick house on my square inch of land =D It'll have a front lawn and a picket fence too.