This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

10 Things Christians and Atheists Can Agree On...

edited December 2007 in Everything Else
via Cracked.com

10 Things List

And...discuss.

Comments

• edited December 2007
    This article is extremely unorganized and poorly written. After about the beginning of number two, it stops being coherent. I couldn't bring myself to read much farther.

And there are only 5 things on that page, not ten. Maybe you should have check it out yourself.

[Edit] And number 5 is bullshit. How someone can be truly offended just because someone else has a different opinion from theirs on something so intangible is beyond me.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It's also littered with logical fallacies and assumptions.

My biggest problem, though, is that the author is trying to subvert a necessary argument about reality. He wants to be the ostrich with his head in the sand rather than actually reasoning. He thinks that by arguing that the divide between theists and non-theists doesn't matter he can make the core issue fade away.
  • edited December 2007
    Couldn't help but feel this wasn't completely without bias, he/she seemed to hold Atheism up to a slightly higher standard.

Also there are only 5 points, so it fails automatically.

But, he lists a lot of obvious and irrelevant things. He talks about the rebellious atheists, who are obviously angry at x religion for wasting their time (or various other reasons) and not the atheists like myself who only get ticked off when some Christians try to get Intelligent Design taught in science classes, which is complete and utter horse shit!

As an atheists who grew up without any religious influence other than praying once and asking god to prove to me he was real in a very non-serious manner, I'm still able to understand Christians, Muslims and Buddhists very well. I know what makes them tick and why the believe in what they believe, despite all the evidence and contradictions being laid out in front of them.

I've met Christians who thought the great flood was real. I've met Muslims who truly believed the Koran made predictions that came true despite them obviously never having read the Koran. I've also insulted these people when I get frustrated, using the "Unforgivable sin" to explain to a blind-sighted Christian that he was going to hell anyway or explaining how Muslims believe Jesus was born of a virgin, preformed miracles and physically ascended to the heavens but chose to follow, instead, a Prophet named Muhammed who married a 6 year old and bedded her when she was 9.

I have no problem in people believing what ever they want, but it's often them who begin these discussions with me, not me going out and finding them first. Believe what you want, do what you want within the law... I don't care, as long as you don't try to force your religious views on someone else or force your beliefs into schools.

[/ramble]
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • edited December 2007
    The first 4 points were right. The 5th is bullshit, and I could barely read his arguments because they were so poorly written. On the 4th point, his conclusion is entirely different from his stated argument, too.
    Post edited by Andrew on

• And there are only 5 things on that page, not ten. Maybe you should have check it out yourself.

[Edit] And number 5 is bullshit. How someone can be truly offended just because someone else has a different opinion from theirs on something so intangible is beyond me.
    It looks like they forgot to add a link at the bottom of the page. There should be ten things. And, yes, I did read it. I struggle with the second one myself. Why belief (or lack of) in others upsets people so much is beyond me. As long as we're all able to practice (or not) what we choose, why does it matter?
    Believe what you want, do what you want within the law... I don't care, as long as you don't try to force your religious views on someone else or force your beliefs into schools.
    Amen and preach on, my brother. I live in Cobb County, GA and our county school board made national headlines (and a great segment on Penn & Teller's Bullshit) when they added a sticker to biology textbooks explaining that evolution was only one of many theories. When I have kids I will not be sending them to public school in this county without first making sure that those schools will teach science and not religious dogma dressed in faux-science.

Here's my favorite thing from the comments section so far:
    The whole tone of your article indicates you really are missing the point. Ask yourself if God exists. If you do believe, then you are an idiot. This is debatable of course. But really, you are an idiot. C'mon, dig it up from down deep: They are idiots for believing that rubbish. I'm not willing to let idiots get on with their merry disillusioned lives because it's preventing humankind from moving forward like a deadweight. Stop sitting on the fence and take a side.
  • Believe what you want, do what you want within the law... I don't care, as long as you don't try to force your religious views on someone else or force your beliefs into schools.
    Amen and preach on, my brother.
    Here is the problem. What do you say to people like the Christian Scientists who refuse to get their children inoculated because of their beliefs? It's well within the law because they elected officials to pass laws to "respect their religion" and such. Unfortunately people are stupid and will do stupid things based on myths.
  • cracked.com is nothing but digg bait.
  • Here is the problem. What do you say to people like the Christian Scientists who refuse to get their children inoculated because of their beliefs? It's well within the law because they elected officials to pass laws to "respect their religion" and such. Unfortunately people are stupid and will do stupid things based on myths.
    That is directly harming someone. If you - as an adult - don't want to see a doctor, that's your right, but forcing a belief on a child that could directly result in injury or death is at minimum neglect and at worst homicide.
  • There should be firmer laws to protect the truly helpless (children & pets), not inoculating your child is just as good as abuse in my eyes and if someone doesn't have their child inoculated they should be faced with similar punishments as any other parents who abuses their child.

I'm not sure what the laws are in America, but I presume there is no law to get your child inoculated? That's sort of shitty. Of course, I'm not sure what the law is on that over here either, but people are less against that sort of thing in general here. They do all the inoculation jabs (Like the BCG Jab) in schools, where all the children are.

Then again, England is a un-religious country. Not so much that everyone is a atheist, just that the people who are theist "just believe" but never really go to church or anything. I don't know a single person who goes to church more than once a year (my 1 friend goes for Christmas, that's it), or really understands what they're supposed to be believing.
  • I'm not sure what the laws are in America, but I presume there is no law to get your child inoculated?
    Kids generally aren't allowed into public schools without certain vaccinations.
  • I'm not sure what the laws are in America, but I presume there is no law to get your child inoculated?
    Kids generally aren't allowed into public schools without certain vaccinations.
    Unless things have changed since I was in public school, children don't need to be vaccinated if their parents are strongly against the thought, or the child is allergic to immunization. I was never immunized until I left home.
  • The law shouldn't say that parents have to get their children immunized. The law should say that the government will forcibly immunize all children. This is me saying this, can you believe it?
  • Parents who don't immunize their children have to sign a ton of paperwork to save the legal ass of the school system for when their precious angel gets the plague.

On another note of bad parenting, how bout those parents who don't immunize their children for fear of autism?
  • Parents who don't immunize their children have to sign a ton of paperwork to save the legal ass of the school system for when their precious angel gets the plague.

On another note of bad parenting, how bout those parents who don't immunize their children for fear of autism?
    Thanks, you're talking about my parents. I see your point but seriously, there was a huge movement that scared a lot of parents into this fervor against immunization. I remember some of the books my Mom used to leave around the house. With the lack of resources that we take for granted now, some parents just made the decision between what they saw as two evils.
    Parents against vaccination now, however, are less blameless.
  • You mean don't have any excuse, not blameless, right?
  • Yes, I was at work and on my way out the door when I wrote that. Sorry.
  • jccjcc
    edited December 2007
    1.They are right.
    2. God's (non)existence is something worth proving.
    3. People of similar (non)beliefs enjoy congregating.
    4. Being the ideology that drives science and scientific philosophy is important.
    5. Being the ideology that drives the education of the young is important.
    6. Polytheists are wrong.
    7. The cake is a lie.
    8. Ignorant people undermine credibility. They are also typically the loudest and most numerous at any given event.
    9. Coming up with 10 things Christians and Atheists can agree on is kind of tricky.
    10. Rym & Scott - totally gay.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Can we agree that this license plate is a bad idea?
  • That vanity plate would be fine IF it cost just as much as any other vanity plate.
  • That vanity plate would be fine IF it cost just as much as any other vanity plate.
    Or if they offered a discount to all license plates that dipicted membership to any private group with tax exempt status.
    Or if they offered a discount to all license plates that dipicted membership to any private group with tax exempt status.
    And they offered vanity plates for every other religious organization that wanted one, including pastafarians and ramenites.
  • Is there a certain age where the "vaccines cause autism" fear no longer applies? I can understand parents falling for the FUD about vaccines when their kids are infants but don't kids reach a certain age where the perceived risk just is not there? If the parents don't vaccinate their kids by that age than they are kooky.
    And they offered vanity plates for every other religious organization that wanted one, including pastafarians and ramenites.
    That would be covered private groups with tax exempt status.
  • Wow, Cracked's really improved a lot since that article was written. The last few articles I've read from them have actually been organized and coherent, unlike that POS article.
  • This thread is pointless and dull.