This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favourite Movies to Watch During the Holiday Season

edited December 2007 in Everything Else
I love this time of the year, love to watching the movies related to it, and would like to know some movies you guys watch. Some of my favourites are:
  • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas (both the animated and live action)
  • Elf
  • Edward Scissorhands
  • The Muppet Christmas Carol
  • Eight Crazy Nights

Comments

• edited December 2007
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation -- best holiday movie ever

I also like to watch A Christmas Story and the classic It's a Wonderful Life
    Post edited by blaman327 on
  • I was also going to say A Christmas Story & National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Those are my two favorite.

One day, when I am domesticated in a home, I plan on decorating my house like the Griswold's.
  • The Muppet Christmas Carol
    [/thread] You can wake me anytime for any Muppet movie. I don't watch much movies, let alone know some Christmas movies. Ehm... Black Adder with Rowan Atkinson perhaps. I should get my hands on The Nightmare before Christmas, never seen it, but know that Jack Skellington is awesome.
  • The only christmas special I can care about is the Charlie Brown one.
  • edited December 2007
    This is the Christmas Carol cartoon they used to show when I was young(er). It's way spookier than A Nightmare Before Christmas. You can find the other parts on YouTube by searching for "A Christmas Carol".

Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • The only movie that captures the spirit of Christmas is Die Hard.
  • It's way spookier thanA Nightmare Before Christmas. You can find the other parts on YouTube by searching for "A Christmas Carol".
    I don't think that The Nightmare Before Christmas was supposed to be creepy, it was supposed to be sort of a combination of How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
  • The 3D version of The Nightmare Before Christmas was pretty awesome on the big screen.
  • The 3D version of The Nightmare Before Christmas was pretty awesome on the big screen.
    Most definitely, that added so much (I dare to say it, forgive me for the pun) depth to the entire experience and I hope that they release the 3D version on DVD.
  • edited December 2007
    It's way spookier thanA Nightmare Before Christmas. You can find the other parts on YouTube by searching for "A Christmas Carol".
    I don't think that The Nightmare Before Christmas was supposed to be creepy, it was supposed to be sort of a combination of How the Grinch Stole Christmas and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.
    Bullshit. Tim Burton loves creepy. It was supposed to be creepy. Besides that, I said "spooky" not creepy.

Finally, do you think that Rudolph and The Grinch weren't creepy? That weird kid with the Ronald Reagan spitcurl in Rudolph pulled all the teeth out of that Wampa's head. I shouldn't even have to talk about how Grinch was creepy . . .
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I have fond memories of watching those claymation Rudolf shows, I really like the one with the Heatmiser.

This has been around for a few years but I just watched it with my boys last night. Olive, the Other Reindeer. Wow, what a fantastic little show. It is the most sarcastic, puntastic adventure I've seen in a long time. From the show, Olive: "What will we do now?" Martini: "Ever heard of deus ex machina kid?" Olive with a questioning look: "no." Martini: "Well I'd suggest you look it up, no let's go." I about fell out of my chair.

Don't know when it's on again. It's like $7.50 on Amazon for the DVD, or check Netflix it's awesome.
  • I have fond memories of watching those claymation Rudolf shows, I really like the one with the Heatmiser.
    Bumble owns you.
  • Heatmiser is a chump. Coldmiser rules!
  • edited December 2007
    I am Burgermeister Meisterburger and there shall be no toys until I get a yo-yo!
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I just saw these with my friends on Saturday. It's one of those things that's only worthwhile when watched with a group. Watch at your own risk.
    The Night Before Cave Christmas:

Super Mario Brothers Super Show: Koopa Klaus Part 1:

And part 2:
  • Awww, no Home Alone fans?
    The movies I need to see durring holidays are:
    Halloween- Hocus Pocus
    X-mas- Home Alone 2
  • Home Alone is a good one. I love watching both of them (3 & 4 don't count) at Christmas time.
  • edited December 2007
    Heatmiser is a chump. Coldmiser rules!
    Agreed.

My favorite is definitely Tokyo Godfathers and anything Ranklin Bass. I love all their stuff for the holidays. Also the Tendo Family Christmas Scramble from the Ranma 1/2 OVA.

I think I probably seen every animated Christmas special made since the 60's. It used to be a tradition to do so until my mid teens.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas
    This is the ONLY Holiday movie.
  • This is the ONLY Holiday movie.
    Tokyo Godfathers, you lose.
  • I am going to watch the Samurai X OAV. I mean, it has the color red, and that's a christmasy color.
  • My TV is always on TNT's "24 Hours of A Christmas Story" Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. That way I'm sure to catch the whole movie at least once while I'm rushing around with family and food.

I'm gonna one up the Muppet Christmas Carol (the best version of it since the 1951 Alistair Sim film) with The Muppet Family Christmas and Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas. You can get them in a two-pack. BTW, there's a special place in hell for the asshole that authorized the colorization of the Alistair Sim Christmas Carol.
  • edited December 2007
    I'm too busy farming for Crimbo goodies to watch movies.

Also, Cold Miser? You mean the Mechwarrior2 cheat code?
    Post edited by Airpi on
  • Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas
    Emmet Otter can die in a fire.
  • Now, Joe, don't be bitter. Emmet Otter is the man.