This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Best Multiplayer/Co-op Nintendo DS Games?

edited December 2007 in Video Games
I'm thinking about getting DS Lites for both my wife and myself, if there are decent games that we can play together. I've Googled and found a good supply of reviews but very little information regarding the quality of cooperative gameplay or whether single-cart play is available. I was hoping these boards would be ripe with recommendations.

We enjoy a few different genres. Fighting games (e.g. - Street Fighter and its ilk) are okay, but we like adventure games and RPGs in which we can work cooperatively. Puzzle/party games like Tetris and Bubble Bobble are cool too. Racing, flying, and strategy games are not our favorites; though, rail shooters may do well. Oh, and we love Contra.

So, these are the aspects for which I am looking in a game, in order from most important to least important:
  1. Cooperative
  2. Compelling (or extremely humorous) gameplay*
  3. Accessible to a Casual Gamer
  4. Single Cartridge Multiplayer
*(I'm willing to give a bit on the gameplay if it means I get to play with someone I like.)

Comments

• For casual game play you can go with Pokemon Diamond and Pearl

For hardcore gaming you can go with Contra 4.

For friendly and fun gaming how about Animal Crossing?

Of course you should also invest in a copy of Mario Party DS.
  • Tetris ds because its easy for casual gamers to pick up and if your up to the challenge you can verse people online.
  • The Puyo Pop game is pretty good, but it breaks down when doing large numbers with single cart mode. It shows you everyone's board on one screen, so with more than four or so it gets pretty squinty. Very fun though, I really like the cast of characters they have.
  • I have to agree with Airpi here and also suggest Puyo Pop Fever. I'm also going to throw in Mario Kart DS and Elite Beat Agents - EBA has both co-op and competitive play, and the single player mode is just as great as the multiplayer modes.
  • My brother and I bought Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command for each other for Christmas. Once we play, I'll let you know how it is.
  • I don't know how it will be for just 2 player only, however I am eagerly anticipating: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates. It's already out in Japan (lucky s.o.b.s). T_T
  • I don't know how it will be for just 2 player only, however I am eagerly anticipating:Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates. It's already out in Japan (lucky s.o.b.s). T_T
    The FRC awaits this and the Wii one as well. If they disappoint, I might be done with SquareEnix forever.
  • Planet Puzzle League.

Children of Mana (but you both need the game)

Bomberman is always fun (and cheap)

Bust A Move is also cheap and fun but a bit buggy.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. FFCC:RoF had caught my eye pretty early in my search, as did Bust A Move and Tetris. I'll be sure to check out the other titles as well. One thing that worried me about Children of Mana multiplayer is that only the host retains the game progress (so says the mighty Wikipedia). Have you played CoM multiplayer before, and does that aspect detract from the game?
  • Bomberman is always fun (and cheap)
    Classic. I play a lot of Mario Party, Tetris, Bomberman, and Planet Puzzle League.