This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

R.I.P. Netscape Navigator

edited December 2007 in Technology
Netscape Navigator, the world's first commercial Internet browser, will be discontinued as of February 1, 2008.

Source

Comments

• It wasn't already?
  • Who uses that ancient scrapthing anyways?
    And your quote is wrong Daikun, it's:
    Netscape Navigator, the world's first commercial Web browser and the launch pad of the Internet boom, will be pulled off life support Feb. 1 after a 13-year run.
    The life support part is crucial.
  • Barely anyone uses it anymore. About time I say.
  • How will this affect Firefox, if at all?
    Eh, Netscape Navigator is AOL, not Mozilla. So it will affect Firefox just as much as it will affect Opera, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.
    Absolutely not at all. Since about version 6, Netscape has just been a shiny, rebranded Firefox.
  • There are no more financial ties?
  • Goodbye and good riddance.
  • My PHP writing coworker uses Netscape almost exclusively, he's sad to see it go.
  • There are no more financial ties?
    Were there ever?
  • This doesn't affect me at all, but it also makes me a teensy bit sad because that was my very first web browser, and I used it significantly throughout my childhood and early adolescence. So it has some nostalgic value for me, and hearing that it's finally being put to sleep kinda makes me think about the old times.