This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Laptop

edited January 2008 in Everything Else
I do not currently have a laptop. I know that Rym and Scott are advising to wait until February to buy one. However, I found this. It is pretty tempting, and it is only a 72 hour sale. Are there any pros/cons in your opinion to purchasing this? I have researched the model, and it seems to be very Linux compatible. That is a big factor. And yes, I know it is refurbished, but the reviews I have read say that it is in quite good condition.

Comments

• Looks good, but a little bulky. As long as you're ok with that...
  • edited January 2008
    Bulky? As in weight and size? It's a bit over 6 pounds I believe, and 15 inch screen. Average I suppose. I would like a super small laptop, like Scott. But for what I am paying, I am sure I can adjust.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • Bulky? As in weight and size? It's a bit over 6 pounds I believe, and 15 inch screen. Average I suppose. I would like a super small laptop, like Scott. But for what I am paying, I am sure I can adjust.
    6 pounds is a lot heavier than you think. How much are you going to be carrying this thing?

Really, I see almost no purpose in this world for a big laptop. If you're going to be carrying it around a lot, then a small machine with long battery life is a must. If you aren't going to be carrying it around a lot, then you probably don't need a laptop in the first place. The only examples I can think of where laptops are good would be say, a very wealthy gamer wanting to travel light to LAN parties. Also, maybe traveling graphic designers who need to Photoshop around the world.
  • Alright, other than that though, is it a good deal? From a hardware perspective.
  • Alright, other than that though, is it a good deal? From a hardware perspective.
    I guess it's ok. Except the resolution on the monitor is incredibly shitty.
  • edited January 2008
    What is the resolution? I can't find it.

Edit: 1280 x 800 isn't that shitty.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • edited January 2008
    Laptops are a crap shoot. i just posted an article about two new cheap Dell systems. One is a Desktop and the other a Notebook, both sell for $499.

The screen on the one you are looking at is shit and the screen is very important. The low end Dell has a nice screen but once you beef up the component options you will be above $499.

I cut corners when i purchased my first laptop and hated it for the 6 years I used the thing. My current one is not top of the line but I did not cut corners when buying it and I am satisfied with it. It's not like buying a desktop where everything is user-replaceable. Notebook PCs are pretty much non-upgradeable.

for about $50 more you can get an Acer Aspire 5050 5430 Laptop Computer - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core TK-53 1.7GHz, 802.11b/g Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 120GB HDD, Dual Layer DVD RW, 14.1" WXGA, Integrated Webcam, Windows Vista Home Premium. I just got that offer over my email (I'm a tiger direct affiliate) and it was the lowest priced laptop deal.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • What is the resolution? I can't find it.

Edit: 1280 x 800 isn't that shitty.
    It isn't shitty overall, but on a 15.4" monitor, it's ass. My 10.6" laptop has a resolution of 1280x768. Those pixels on that screen must be freakin' huge. A 15" screen should be at least 1280x1024, preferably more than that.
  • A 15" screen should be at least 1280x1024, preferably more than that.
    o.O My 19" screen is 1280x1024...
  • A 15" screen should be at least 1280x1024, preferably more than that.
    o.O My 19" screen is 1280x1024...
    Wow, a 19" should be at least 1600x1200.
  • edited January 2008
    I was looking at Dell Ultrasharps, and for their 19 inch, it's 1440 x 900.
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • Wow, a 19" should be at least 1600x1200.
    Does that go for 3+ year old xxxxx-cheap desktop LCD's? Don't think so. But won't 1280x1024 on a 15" screen be painful? I mean, standard sizes get too small on those afaik.
  • edited January 2008
    Wow, a 19" should be at least 1600x1200.
    Does that go for 3+ year old xxxxx-cheap desktop LCD's? Don't think so. But won't 1280x1024 on a 15" screen be painful? I mean, standard sizes get too small on those afaik.
    If your eyes suck.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I was looking at Dell Ultrasharps, and for their 19 inch, it's 1440 x 900.
    The Acer Desktop I bought for my wife has a 19" widescreen at 1440x900.
  • My MBP has a 15" widescreen at 1440x900 and it looks really good.
  • I know that Rym and Scott are advising to wait until February to buy one.
    See, and mine arrived the day of the podcast they brought it up. I was crushed. And I don't know if I can just return this Dell notebook for that reason with no defects.
  • I know that Rym and Scott are advising to wait until February to buy one.
    See, and mine arrived the day of the podcast they brought it up. I was crushed. And I don't know if I can just return this Dell notebook for that reason with no defects.
    For future reference CES is always in January. Never buy expensive technology in December or January.
    My MBP has a 15" widescreen at 1440x900 and it looks really good.
    Sounds like a good screen to me.
  • I brought up the Ultrasharp because Rym said that is the monitor, which you should buy. Scott said for a 19 inch screen, the resolution should be at least x. The resolution of the 19 inch Dell Ultrasharp is below x. Does that make it a bad monitor then?
  • I brought up the Ultrasharp because Rym said that is the monitor, which you should buy. Scott said for a 19 inch screen, the resolution should be at least x. The resolution of the 19 inch Dell Ultrasharp is below x. Does that make it a bad monitor then?
    No, it makes Scott a high res addict imho. 1280x1024 is normal for a 19" screen.
    No, it makes Scott a high res addict imho. 1280x1024 is normal for a 19" screen.
    Gag! My 17" monitors are 1280x1024.
  • Gag! My 17" monitors are 1280x1024.
    As is mine.
  • edited January 2008
    I have a laptop with 1280x800 and it is indeed shit. In my search for a laptop that met all my criteria I made one concession, the screen resolution. I cuss my 1280x800 resolution on a daily basis. I have a 5 year old Toshiba laptop that is 1440x1050 and that is about perfect. I would have had to spend another $300 to get a better screen resolution so I compromised. I won't do that next time. Now try it out for yourself, maybe you won't mind but it's not enough desktop space for me. If you are going budget you may have to lower your expectations. I know about 90% of the laptops I looked at had that same 1280x800 screen.

6lbs is heavy enough, add the weight of the AC adaptor because you will throw that in the bag 9 times out of 10 also. I'm really thinking about getting an ultra portable laptop and giving the one I have to my wife. By the time I get a couple books in the bag with the laptop it's a pain in the ass to lug around.
    Post edited by am_dragon on
  • Scott is just weird: those resolutions are fine.
  • Rym, do you have a 19 inch Ultrasharp? What in your opinion sets it apart from other monitors? I am planning on buying on in February, based on your advice.
  • Rym, do you have a 19 inch Ultrasharp? What in your opinion sets it apart from other monitors? I am planning on buying on in February, based on your advice.
    He has the 22", and I believe the resolution is 1680x1050. I personally would get the 20" UltraSharp because it has the same exact resolution. Why get a monitor that takes up more physical space, and costs more, without giving you any more actual screen real estate? The only reason I see to get the 22" instead of the 20" is if you plan to watch it from far away more often.
  • edited January 2008
    That's awesome, except the 20 inch is $140 more. ftl.

What I would like to know, is why should I pay x amount, when I could get a similar monitor for much less. What makes the Dell Ultrasharp better than the rest?
    Post edited by Zeehat on