This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ROFLCon - The Most Epic Internet Convention Ever to Hit the U.S.

edited January 2008 in Conventions
I honestly don't even remember how I found this, but Harvard University's putting together an internet convention called ROFLCon, to be held on April 25th and 26th, on campus.

Here's an excerpt from the website (www.roflcon.org) proposing the event:

"This is the ongoing record of an effort to assemble every famous internet meme or celebrity to come to Harvard in the spring of 2008 to attend a conference. Presumably, they're going to talk about fame online. But with Homestar Runner and Dinosaur Comics coming and Goatse on the guest list, getting there is going to be about 80% of the fun."

And look at the guest list:

INTERNET CELEBS
1) Tron Guy
2) Paperclip to House Guy
3) LOLCat Bible
4) Dinosaur Comics
5) Homestar Runner
6) LOLSecretz
7) LOLTrek
8 ) Leslie Hall (Gem Sweater)
9) Bert Is Evil Guys (Dino Ignacio/Dennis Pozniak)
10) OCRemix — David Lloyd
11) Alexis Ohanian (LOLDeconstructed/Reddit)
12) Xkcd
13) Group X
14) LOLCode
15) StupidFilter
16) Martin Leung, Video Game Pianist
17) Drew Curtis (Fark.com)
18) Cyanide and Happiness/Explosm.net guys
19) Rooster Teeth (Red versus Blue)
20) Matt Harding (Where the Hell is Matt?)
21) moot (4chan)
22) Ian Spector, Chuck Norris Facts
23) Rocketboom
24) Joe Mathlete, Marmaduke Explained
25) Brad Neely, Creased Comics
26) “Cheezburger,” I Can Haz Cheezburger
27) Chris Hastings, Dr. McNinja

Profs
1) Chris Kelty, Rice University
2) Judith Donath, MIT
3) J.D. Connor, Harvard University

Awesome Folks/Internet Culture Pundits/Captains of Internet Industry
1) Anil Dash, Six Apart
2) Jeff Diehl, 10 Zen Monkeys
3) Benjamin Palmer, The Barbarian Group
4) Martin Sargent, Web Drifter, Revision3.com
5) Evan White, PR

Another chance for GeekNights to shine? =D

Comments

• Can anyone go? I might wanna wander up there and see this.
  • Cambridge in April? Oy.
  • Yeah, anyone can go. Preregistration is up: $30 students, $60 other. Prereg ends March 1st and prices rise to $40/$80. I go to Boston University, right down the road and across the Charles River, so I'm going to get a bunch of my friends together for this.
  • I'm tempted. So tempted, but I don't think this is worth coming from D.C. But I am so tempted!
  • I assume I will be attending, though I am unsure if I am going to volunteer for staff, or put up the money. It seems like it may be a good time.
  • Moot and Randall Munroe? I wish I could be there.
  • edited May 2008
    So did anyone besides me go to this?

For me it was really good, it was in a "conference" type style rather than a "convention" type, as having run a convention before I could see administrative holes, but overall I think they did amazingly well for their first time and I hope to see it again next year.

I met a lot of awesome people, and I look forward to seeing them again in the future.

If anyone wants to hear more about it, I can post more.
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • So did anyone besides me go to this?

For me it was really good, it was in a "conference" type style rather than a "convention" type, as having run a convention before I could see administrative holes, but overall I think they did amazingly well for their first time and I hope to see it again next year.

I met a lot of awesome people, and I look forward to seeing them again in the future.

If anyone wants to hear more about it, I can post more.
    Post more.
  • Did they invite Rick Astley?
  • edited May 2008
    Post more.
    No problem, I will when I have a little more time ^^
    Did they invite Rick Astley?
    No, However Randall Munroe (the guy who does XKCD) successfully initiated a rickroll of one of the panel's projector screens:
    Photo Evidence
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • The convention was amazing. Full videos of each panel/event will be posted in the future, according to the website.
  • Did they invite Rick Astley?
    That was worth a ROFL in and of it's self.

Maybe they should off invited Tay Zonday or the chicks from 2 girls 1 cup......................................................or not....
  • Hey, Tay Zonday and Rick Astley could also be musical guests you know. Not jus plain guests.

The 2 girls 1 cup girls can't perform though. It's forbidden! If not by the con by ME!
  • edited May 2008
    Maybe they should off invited Tay Zonday
    From talking with the Conference organizers, they invited Tay Zonday but he actually turned them down... He refused to do it because it was not something that he considered he could put on his resume. I mean c'mon now, if someone was willing to fly me somewhere, pay for my hotel and food, I could care less if it could go on my resume.
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • From talking with the Conference organizers, they invited Tay Zonday but he actually turned them down... He refused to do it because it was not something that he considered he could put on his resume. I mean c'mon now, if someone was willing to fly me somewhere, pay for my hotel and food, I could care less if it could go on my resume.
    First of all, that is totally something you can put on your resume. I put panels I run at anime conventions on my resume.
    Also, if the story is true, that says a lot about this Zonday person. Obviously the person is not doing what they are doing for the love of the fans and such, but for the fame and fortunes. Of course, it also seems they are a little shortsighted as to how to get the fame and fortunes.
  • I know what you mean, I put convention stuff on my resume as well. However what the guest relations person that I talked with said that Zonday stated it wasn't "academic" enough for him to put on his resume, to which I have this to say: "IT'S AT MIT!!!" *sigh*
  • Why not just NOT put it on his resume.
  • That's why he didn't come, because he didn't feel it could go on his resume he didn't want to participate at ROFLCon... which is kinda lame.
  • Anyone attending ROFLcon 3 this year (May 4 & 5)?

http://roflcon.org/

Ayup. With shadoworc and Constantine.

Ayup. With shadoworc and Constantine.

Maybe...
  • Goddamn conventions always coinciding with Finals. Sorry, cannot make it this time...again. Someday, when I don't have stuff that gets in the way of attending possible awesomeness, I will come.
  • I'd certainly be down for getting drinks in the evening, possibly also Phil. I work in Cambridge on Fridays.
  • Doing 5 Boro Bike Tour on the 6, so yeah.
  • Doing 5 Boro Bike Tour on the 6, so yeah.
  • This is the first ROFLCon I'm missing due to a conflict with another con. The first one felt more like a convention, and the second one felt more like a conference. If you're into internet humor and can recognize most of the guests, you'll enjoy yourself.