This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Linux+Skype = I got a problem

edited January 2008 in Everything Else
I'm used my second headset which just plugs into the headphone and mic plug. I can hear okay but it's not picking up the mic. When I went to Preferences and then to sound to test it gave this message:
Failed to construct test pipeline for 'gconfaudiosrc ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink profile=chat'
I tried my USB headset instead. During testing I got the same message and it wont even pick up what the other person is saying on Skype. Please help and thank you.

Comments

• You too have stumbled onto the monumental problem of sound in linux being shite.
    I think your first problem was just down to not having the mic turned up (common problem) go through the volume control and check that it has the "Microphone capture" box (in the "Switches tab") is ticked and the microphone capture volume (in the recording tab) is up. If you can't find these go to "edit=>preferences" and enable them.
  • Through some tinkering I got it working earlier. I forgot to update this. Sorry about that. It did take a long while though.
  • If anyone has any links to making sound in linux less painful, post away.
  • The Ubuntu people have recognized the problem of audio being shit. Check this out. It looks like the next version of Ubuntu, the Hardy Heron, is going to make the first big move towards fixing the audio mess. From reading, it seems like they recognize what the real problems are, and have a good plan to fix them. I suspect that within 12-18 months the problem will be largely fixed.