This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Will TF2 finally get the added depth it needs?

edited January 2008 in Video Games
Link
The articleThat other content includes the forthcoming Medic achievement pack, which will add several new achievements for the Medic as well as a significant gameplay tweak for the class.

"It's a large scale modification to the core of the game," Walker hinted. "It'll debut in a limited fashion through the Medic first, but it'll be affecting all classes eventually."

"We're really looking forward to the community reaction," he continued. "We're really excited about where TF2 will be going over the next year."
Hopefully, this means that TF2 will get that extra depth it needs to have real team strategy.

Comments

• I kind of see them tweaking the TF2 classes much like how MMO classes (ie: WoW's) are every so often altered and added to.
  • Yeah, more achievements. That's really going to help the game out.
  • It's fine, I don't think it needs depth. It's already got it.
  • It's fine, I don't think it needs depth. It's already got it.
    The depth of TF2 is pretty shallow, and the skill cap is pretty low. That's why I haven't played it since it came out. This will make me at least give it a second chance.
  • edited January 2008
    Achievements have not, nor will they ever, add DEPTH to a game.
    Game depth comes from design and writing, not from adding arbitrary numbers to reach.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Achievements have not, nor will they ever, add DEPTH to a game.
    Game depth comes from design and writing, not from adding arbitrary numbers to reach.
    I don't think anyone cares about the achievements, that's for Xbox gamers.
    as well as a significant gameplay tweak for the class.
    That's what we're interested in. But the real question is what are they changing.
  • That's what we're interested in. But the real question is what are they changing.
    I believe that they are going to be updating each class similar to the class updates in WoW.
  • That's what we're interested in. But the real question is what are they changing.
    I believe that they are going to be updating each class similar to the class updates in WoW.
    I heard this too. If this is going to be the case, then I completely support this update.
  • My guess is give more class-specific weapons and abilities. I understand what Team Fortress 2 is trying to do, strategy over twitch, but to do that, classes need to be even more specific:

-Allow the medic to poison the needle gun ammo for additional effects, like a less steady aim, or slow down characters.
    -Give the healing gun a secondary "overdrive," where it heals more but can overheat
    -Different supercharge abilities:
    Beserk: The target heals himself and does more damage
    Kamikaze: Target explodes upon death (can be used against opponents)
    Shutdown: Temporarily shuts down all nearby turrets
    -Class-specific melee attacks (One character may do more damage meleeing, but the scout slows opponents down)
    -Finally, if they have to nerf the class, make him take less damage. In my opinion, the medic should be the first to die in any conflict.

I'm pretty optimistic about them editing the game. I know how Rym and Scott feel about Tribes 2 and how patches killed it, but in this instance it could make TF2 into the new defining squad game, just like World of Warcraft is (at least sometimes is), a decently balanced MMORPG.
  • TF2 is fun, that's all I care about. But it's kind of sad on the Xbox 360, very few games available.
  • Shutdown: Temporarily shuts down all nearby turrets
    Shutting down turrets has been taken care of by Spy and would be redundant. Go listen to the Stop Whining! episode.
    edited January 2008
    -Finally, if they have to nerf the class, make him take less damage.
    Eh rephrase that. Nerving is making something 'worse'. Whereas 'taking less damage' generally means they get buffed, i.e. are tougher, while you mean they should take less damage before dieing, which should be worded as them having less hit points.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited January 2008
    -Finally, if they have to nerf the class, make him take less damage.
    Eh rephrase that. Nerving is making something 'worse'. Whereas 'taking less damage' generally means they get buffed, i.e. are tougher, while you mean they should take less damage before dieing, which should be worded as them having less hit points.
    I taught he meant take less damage as in "he can take less damage before he dies than he did before", so i think you can understand it perfectly.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
    Shutting down turrets has been taken care of by Spy and would be redundant. Go listen to the Stop Whining! episode.
    Maybe I should have developed that further: it would be a long distance shot which would leave the turret and the medic temporarily disabled. The idea behind this is if there is such a draw in combat where neither team can push through a hallway (which happens a lot), a medic who has been present for long enough could completely change the conflict.
    Who cares if a spy could do the same thing? In most role playing games, different classes can do skills like heal or charm. As long as the methods of turret disabling are different, and not every class has that opportunity, it would work in the game.

As for the "nerf" phrase, they'll need to take something away from the class if they put some of the improvements I considered in the game, or it will become too powerful with so many new abilities.

Also, I've listened to the Stop Whining! episode, but I think Rym and Scott would agree that changes are worth the risk if it will give TF2 more depth.
  • edited January 2008
    Who cares if a spy could do the same thing? In most role playing games, different classes can do skills like heal or charm. As long as the methods of turret disabling are different, and not every class has that opportunity, it would work in the game.
    This is not a role playing game, but a asymmetrical team-strategy game. Powers are class-specific for a reason.

Stop whining.
    Post edited by Sail on
    Shutting down turrets has been taken care of by Spy and would be redundant.
    The medic's ubercharge is already in place to counter a well-placed turret.
  • edited January 2008
    The medic's ubercharge is already in place to counter a well-placed turret.
    Yes, but when you have two or more turrets next to each other it can halt any advance towards them on the spot if not push you even farther away from them. But generally it does the job.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • The medic's ubercharge is already in place to counter a well-placed turret.
    Yes, but when you have two or more turrets next to each other it can halt any advance towards them on the spot if not push you even farther away from them. But generally it does the job.
    An EMP that would temporarily disable turrets but makes them invincible for 30 seconds would bet interesting for a class, not sure which though..
  • Regardless of how many turrets you have the enemy will eventually learn where they are and push forward with a demoman which generally screws you.