This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Telemetry Project Help

edited January 2008 in Technology
So, my physics teacher kind of forced me into this international competition. I don't want to mention the name of the competition but I am in a dilemma now. Does anyone of you have any idea how to get video, audio and motion into a signal that can be then transmitted wirelessly and be processed on a computer? I've been trying to read myself into telemetry, but I haven't found anything that explains it to me on a basic level and gives me a howto on how to build a similar project. If anyone of you is wondering why I'm asking for help although it's a school project: my teacher basically told me to get help from everywhere possible.

If this catches on i could, for example, put every ones name and avatar on my data machine (whatever it may be) who helped me with useful information. I would be happy about any hint I can get!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I'll just post what I've come up with till now. The object the data has to come from is a car. So I was planing on building a small Linux computer into the car and attach a microphone, a video camera and a GPS device to it. I guess it isn't much of a problem to set this up.

But how can I transfer data wirelessly from the small Linux computer to my laptop and let it display everything?
  • But how can I transfer data wirelessly from the small Linux computer to my laptop and let it display everything?
    Ad-hoc wireless network plus webcam software?
  • This is EXACTLY the help I need, thanks! I had no idea there was such a thing as Ad-hoc wireless, but now I can further investigate how to set up the Linux box. Thanks a lot!
  • I think I now have a quite good idea which is more or less easy to do:

I build a small Linux box running Ubuntu. To it I attach the camera, the microphone and the GPS data tracker. I also build in a wlan card that supports a range of about 2 miles. Next to my laptop (about a mile away from the car) I build up a router that is also capable of such a strong signal. To it I attach my laptop via Ethernet or also wirelessly. Then I remotely access the computer over VNC or something similar. What do you guys think? Could it work? I think it would be by far the easiest method.

• I build a small Linux box running Ubuntu. To it I attach the camera, the microphone and the GPS data tracker. I also build in a wlan card that supports a range of about 2 miles. Next to my laptop (about a mile away from the car) I build up a router that is also capable of such a strong signal. To it I attach my laptop via Ethernet or also wirelessly. Then I remotely access the computer over VNC or something similar. What do you guys think? Could it work? I think it would be by far the easiest method.
    Good luck getting wireless that goes two miles with the necessary speed and doesn't drain your batteries.
  • Wow, I didn't expect 802.11n to only go 250m. I just checked and the signal would have to reach at least one kilometer. Is there anyway to make the wireless go that far?
    Another way would be to do it over 3G (UMTS). I again just checked and the data wouldn't have to be live/ streaming.

What if I were to take a Cisco access point for example? Isn't that signal strong enough to reach at least 1 kilometer?
  • Wow, I didn't expect 802.11n to only go 250m. I just checked and the signal would have to reach at least one kilometer. Is there anyway to make the wireless go that far?
    Another way would be to do it over 3G (UMTS). I again just checked and the data wouldn't have to be live/ streaming.

What if I were to take a Cisco access point for example? Isn't that signal strong enough to reach at least 1 kilometer?
    You're going to need to use a different sort of radio. You are also going to need to learn to write low level software in C, and perhaps assembler.
  • And what other sort of radio could I use?
  • And what other sort of radio could I use?
    Check with the FCC?
  • Isn't that just for the US? I live in Germany..

I have now basically given up on the prospect of sending the data via a wireless connection. I wouldn't be able to learn all the stuff and actually build it in the small time-span I have. I'll just ask if there is need for a "on-board computer", because that I am capable of doing.
  • Do cell companies in germany offer cellular modems (I don't think that they call them that anymore, but they allow a computer to access the internet through the cell network)
  • edited January 2008
    That's what I meant when I said 3G/ UMTS. There is a EXPRESS CARD which supports HSDPA, UMTS, GSM/ GPRS. That way I could connect the Linux box to the Internet. I had the idea earlier, but it seemed to expensive..
    I now wrote a mail to the person who is supporting this project. If he agrees I'll just build the Linux box with the UMTS Card.

Since it's an international competition: Do you have 3G/ UMTS coverage in the US ?

EDIT: To answer you question, yes. ;)
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • Here's a link to the product: Products website.
  • Project on hold. Shady institute is supporting the project.
  • That sucks