This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Clannad TV

edited January 2008 in Anime
I didn't find any mention of this anime anywhere so I just wanted to make a recommendation to both Rym and Scott and anyone else who likes anime. Clannad TV is the third series produced by Key, the studio that produced both Kanon and Air. Unlike the previous two, Clannad is 13+ episodes long and the main protagonist takes on more of an active role and less of a narrative role in the story. Watch this anime!

Comments

• I think you'll find the majority of people here do not think very highly of Kanon and Air...
  • Wait, Clannad, Kanon and Air are all produced by the same company? One-trick pony much?
  • Same people as Kanon? Thanks, now I know not to watch it.
  • edited January 2008
    I was watching this out of boredom, and I got bored after 7 episodes of waiting for something interesting to happen.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I couldn't even make it through the first episode. The moe vibes... were so intense... I was... I was not strong... *faints*
  • Wow haha. I didn't know there was so much aversion to the series. I recommended it because I've watched so much anime in my life that I only ever like 1-2 series a year if that. Most of the time I don't make it past the first episode of anything. This was one of the only ones I enjoyed!
  • I like the main guy and the practical jokes he plays, but I just don't care for the rest of the cast.
  • I haven't seen Kanon or Clannad TV, but I thought Air was great. I don't want to start a big discussion here, but what was wrong with Air?
  • I haven't seen Kanon or Clannad TV, but I thought Air was great. I don't want to start a big discussion here, but what was wrong with Air?
    I agree, I didn't like Kanon myself, but Air was the main reason I decided to watch Clannad.
  • edited January 2008
    Air is a love-hate thing for me. There are two things about the series I actually really like: 1) the character designs, particularly Misuzu's; and 2) the lead male character, Yukito (especially when performed by Vic Mignogna).

*puts up a blast shield to hide from all the right-minded FRC forum-goers.*

Despite liking those things about it, there is no way in hell that I will call Air a good series, or even a decent series. The story and the dialogue are just outright ridiculous the whole way through, and there are several points throughout the show where I either thought, "What the fuck? What just happened?" or "Just... no! Storytelling doesn't WORK like that! That doesn't follow any logical sense whatsoever!" Even when I watched the dub, which I thought could clear up possibly confusing Japanese dialogue or bad fansub translations for me, it was still a mess. That's not even getting into the moe aspect of the show in general, which is ever-present, and sends unpleasant shivers down my spine.

So, yeah, I despise most aspects of Air, and yet I really like Misuzu and Yukito for some reason. I can't really explain why, and it's the weirdest thing. o_O
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Same people as Kanon? Thanks, now I know not to watch it.
    Are you talking about the original Kanon or the remake?

And technically Key created the original h-games these are based on. These anime remakes are made by Kyoto Animation (the original Kanon was Toei).
  • Are you talking about the original Kanon or the remake?
    All of it.
  • edited January 2008
    I watched this today. It's the same set up as Air and moeharem anime like it. In the first episode it starts emo, gets cliche, cool ass kicking girl, cliche again, emo some more, and all with hints of a supernatural serious element. Not my cup of tea at all. At least it isn't Love Hina-ish. Needless to say I'm not watching this again.

Also for the record Kanon and Air sucks.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Isn't this the stuff the megatokyo guy likes?
  • Isn't this the stuff the megatokyo guy likes?
    Yes.
  • Then it's something I will avoid like the plauge.

I find them useless, just like full metal alchemist, they have one character for each type of anime fan so they can please more and get more profit.

They're pretty much a mini goldmine.

Not to mention they are overly cliche.
  • Are you talking about the original Kanon or the remake?
    All of it.
    *laughs* Yeah, fair enough.

Personally I think its a waste that all Kyoto seem to do is moe harem shows based off h games. There's so many things they could do well, especially with their animation quality. Sigh.
  • Personally I think its a waste that all Kyoto seem to do is moe harem shows based off h games. There's so many things theycoulddo well, especially with their animation quality. Sigh.
    I'd say that they don't so much make shows all based on moe games as they do make shows that are based on things that are already crazy popular (and not just because of moe). Air/Kanon/Clannad? Huge otaku hits, all based on already popular erogames. Haruhi Suzumiya? Huge otaku hit, based on an already popular series of light novels. Lucky Star? Huge otaku hit, based on an already popular 4-panel gag strip. Full Metal Panic (Fumoffu and TSR)? Huge otaku hit, based on an already popular series of light novels and existing anime series.

As far as I know, KyoAni did Kanon at the request of Key because Key was impressed with what they did for Air TV. I assume the same followed for Clannad. And who can blame them for taking up the offers? If I were KyoAni, I'd do the Key adaptations too, since I'd know from sales of the original games that my anime would rake in boatloads of moneys from brainless otaku fanboys. The same logic follows for their other shows. By picking and choosing which popular titles to capitalize on and spending lots of time and resources on their products, they've built up their image in the eyes of the fanbase to the point that they are almost literally gods of animation. And when your public image is that good, your products tend to sell. A LOT. Just ask Nintendo.

That being said, maybe there's hope that KyoAni could produce something original and awesome that isn't based on something already popular someday. They probably could, since they have enough money and reputation built up from their past products to lessen the risk of that comes with making something more original. Osamu Tezuka pretty much followed the same logic, making shit tons of money from Astro Boy and then using that money to produce the more risky and deep Phoenix. Here's hopin'. *crosses fingers*