This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Searching for: Mobile phone with wifi

edited January 2008 in Everything Else
Since my current mobile phone is broken I'm in the market for a new one. My old phone was just used for calling and texting really.

Since I do a lot of calls over seas (Saudi Arabia and the US) and quite frequently chat with my friends I grew fond of the idea of having a mobile device that can do VoIP as well as Email, chat and full web browsing. In other words an iPhone without the iPod. The only thing I've found that fits my needs is the Nokia E51 (link). Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Man, I am currently somewhat sleep deprived and thought you were looking for a mobile suit with wifi.
    My dad has one of the large Nokias with the full keyboard, I think it might be the E61i. If I end up being out and around a lot more with my new business I'm going to get one. Email via wifi is a big draw, if anyone from the UK uses mobile internet can they tell me what rates are like?
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I just looked at a special wifi RIM Blackberry Pearl which would have cost me about 30€ more. I read a review on it but it seems to be a piece of junk. The interface was titled as "terrible" and the keyboard wears out in one week. So I guess I won't be getting a Blackberry.

As for the mobile Internet rates. In Germany they are quite cheap. I don't think the prices vary to much, since you guys also use 02 and Vodafone.
  • The Nokia e51 is a sweet phone. It gets great reviews on CNET Asia.

The one question I had is how do you load the app that lets you make VOIP calls? Is it built into the phone? Can you download something like Skype onto the phone?
  • I just googled and found this free app called "fring". It seems to work on most phones (including the e51). Here's the link.
  • So I've decided what phone to get. The e51.

Not only is the price tag quite low, but it offers nearly any connection possible. From EDGE and UMTS to HSDPA and even wifi. The phone is incredibly thin and also offers a podcast downloader. The only negative I see is its small screen. But I figured I'm not going to be surfing that much on the phone and the small screen size contributes to its lightweightedness, small size and long battery life.

Wikipedia article on the device.