This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

CoS website attacked.

edited January 2008 in Flamewars
"Project Chanology" succeeds in taking down the "Church" of Scientology's website.
Project Chanology is one of the fronts of the anonymous of 4chan, for the record. I'm mixed on this. I really hate Scientology, so I can't say that I give two rats asses about what happens to them, but on the other hand, this is really kinda immature.

Comments

• I'm not mixed on this at all. 4chan finally did some good. If scientologists are gonna be so batshit crazy, they better have their server's security air-tight.

Hey, it's the argument for ignorance all over again!
  • I think there's nothing wrong with damaging a company, ripping people off and destroying lives! They deserve much worse, period.
  • The RIAA's website was brought down last weekend also... must have been some kind of contest.
  • I think there's nothing wrong with damaging a company, ripping people off and destroying lives! They deserve much worse, period.
    Funny how this same quote works for both
  • Hahaha, "a user calling himself Anonymous." I love that.
  • I know a guy who is very, very much into hacking. Having conversations with him makes my hair stand on end. Some of the things these guys enjoy doing are way too risky for my blood. Of course, I'm not sure what is real and what is just storytelling.
  • Of course, I'm not sure what is real and what is just storytelling.
    Realizing this is the most important part.
  • Do you agree with the attack on the Church of Scientology's website?
    96% : Yes (1559 szavazat)
    3% : No (64 szavazat)
    Sure, that's only 99%. But still.
  • For the record, while Scientology is super evil, that doesn't make attacking their website ok. Hypocrisy ftl.
  • Video message from "Anonymous" to the CoS:
  • edited January 2008
    For the record, while Scientology is super evil, that doesn't make attacking their website ok. Hypocrisy ftl.
    Attacking Scientology is a lot more productive, on 4chan's part, than attacking, say, Habbo Hotel.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Vigilantism in the 21st century. The hilarious part of this is that most of Anonymous is probably under 18. This is not a good idea. It will only result in more government involvement in the internet.
  • The hilarious part of this is that most of Anonymous is probably under 18.
    I hope you realize that Anonymous is not actually a group. 4chan is an anonymous image board, so anyone who posts there is anonymous.
  • No, Anonymous is a group and Anonymous is separate from 4chan. I know more about this than I want to.
  • No, Anonymous is a group and Anonymous is separate from 4chan. I know more about this than I want to.
    Anonymous is just a description of the posters on anonymous image boards. They aren't hacker gangs or anything. They just like to grief people.
  • While it is true that "anonymous" is a description of posters on 4chan, there is also a hacker group called Anonymous. I am not being clueless here, believe me.
  • While it is true that "anonymous" is a description of posters on 4chan, there is also a hacker group called Anonymous. I am not being clueless here, believe me.
    Then the fitting procedure would be "Screenshot or it didn't happen". Or just a link to prove that.
  • Various anonymouses refer to themselves as Anonymous when they're doing things. But they're not a seperate and distinct group from 4chan/7chan/etc. They're members of the "imageboard culture", let's say.
  • Maybe we are talking about semantics here, but the people that I know in "groups" behave essentially like gang members. They ddos each other, they rickroll each other. Every now and then, they'll SWAT each other. Maybe they are part of imageboard culture, but based on what I can tell, there is actually an identifiable group of people who think of themselves as a group called Anonymous.
  • Then the fitting procedure would be "Screenshot or it didn't happen". Or just a link to prove that.
    This.

I really don't see anonymous as anything more than people on their computers pulling pranks for fun. Aside from the /i/ board on some *chan forums, I've never seen a full scale, planned attack on anything carried out by imageboard posters through their imageboards. And besides, rickrolling is something that happens on the internet all the time. I hardly consider it gang activity.
  • How about rooting every major ISP? How about stealing personal information about someone and making it public? How about creating a 100k machine botnet? Again, a lot of these people are kids. Some are not. Defacing a site is one thing (unless you break in to an ISP to do it). Stealing credit card numbers is quite another. There's a lot of activity that goes on among the black hats and many of them consider themselves members of groups. Some of it sure looks like gang activity to me. At the same time, I'm not saying that there should be a crackdown. I'm saying that doing stuff like that to the asshats at CoS will invite a crackdown.