This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MacBook Pro

edited January 2008 in Technology
I was waiting until the MacWorld conference before I made a decision about getting a Mac, but since the Air is an overpriced sex toy I'm going to get a MacBook Pro. I'm studying Multimedia Design and deal with a lot of Digital video & Imagery in my course, so It's about time I get one of these machines.

As a newbie to Macs, I wanted to ask your opinions on the Pro. Firstly, I'm going to get the 15.4" 2.4GHz model unless you guys reckon the 17" is really worth it - although I don't think my wallet is prepared to stretch that far. Should I go for the "Glossy" or "Matte" display? What's the practical difference between these?

I'm getting my sister to get it while going to the U.S. to do shopping (Europe isn't good enough for her). Are there any compatibility/warranty issues between the U.S. and European models that you know of? I know the power adaptors are fine and the keyboard layout will be different, but that's OK.

Any other Mac related buying tips?

Comments

• just as a suggestion, ever considered a TabletPC? I don't really believe that macs are better for design and multimedia editing, windows based computers are up to par with the Macs, and the pen would make it easier to work with, specially when its something you have to take from place to place
  • Damn I lost my comment! Anyway I was saying that's worth considering; I do want a tablet at some stage. However, I still think Macs are used more or less exclusively in creative environments.
  • I really think it boils down to the same principle as with the 90$ wine bottle vs the 10$ one. Most people working on the "creative environments" that say Macs are better, are usually elitists or people blinded by marketing. I guess they are still predominant because most people in the "creative environments" know dick about computers, and since Macs are good and look "pretty" they think are better for the job.

In the end its all about what you like I guess, its just that the "Mac drones" really get under my skin.
  • edited January 2008
    However, I still think Macs are used more or less exclusively in creative environments.
    A friend of mine runs a graphic design studio and will only hire people who use Windows. Although that's probably got more to do with his rabid hatred of everything apple and is probably not indicative of the industry as a whole. Although I was having a chat with him about it and he figures that he saves quite a bit of money just buying or building regular PC's than having to get expensive iMac/Mac Pro for the office.
    Post edited by Sean on
  • I hate the Mac fanboy as the next guy, really. Am I off my rocker here? Is a Mac just a fancy looking thing that can't really do anything that much better?

I have a HP Vista 2GHz laptop. Maybe that's enough for the moment.
  • All I can say is that Mac OSX is a really stable environment. I'm not sure if I would prefer Mac OSX over Linux, but definitely over Windows.
  • Am I the only Mac fanboy on this forum? Well I am not a rabid fanboy but I can speak from Windows, Linux and OSX experience. I own a 17" MacBook Pro and I love it. The 17" is a mobile workstation but if you plan on working on the road, coffee shops, train, or airplanes stick with the 15". It has all the power you will need and is more mobile than the 17". Matte vs glossy. Well will you be presenting your work to other people and will you be working out doors? If you will do any presenting the glossy will make your work look really pretty and polished. If you work outdoors or near big bright windows glare will haunt you so then pick the matte display. I have glossy by the way. And trust me going with a tablet pc or any other windows machine will make you want to blow your brains out as a designer. Linux is fine if you can use the programs for it but OSX is great because it just works and is very stable. The last thing you want is trying to fix viruses when you have deadlines to meet. Wacom tablets work great with a mac I recommend that. I have one and the precision using it in OSX is 2x as accurate as windows. Think it is drivers but hey I don't have time to play with windows. With Mac you get what you pay for- A stable OS, a fast well built machine, and pretty computer that impresses people. Yes that last one does matter. Let me know if you have any other questions I might have missed.
  • I work as a designer, I use a PC, windows is as stable as MacOSX, you only have to worry about viruses if your an idiot that doesn't have up to date anti viruses and go into "sketchy" sites or fall for dumb e-mail viruses. I've crashed Macs and I've crashed PC's, I can tell you from experience that I wasn't able to recuperate the system with the macs, but I'm able to do so with a windows based system, so it I have a logo on Illustrator, a background image on photoshop and doing the animation on flash and photoshop crashes, I am almost 90% sure to be able to at least save my illustrator file and my flash file before rebooting, with the macs... its the old power button, but perhaps its because I don't know how to use a mac properly, maybe it has a task manager, dunno really.

In my opinion macs are quite stiff, way to expensive, and up to par with any modern PC, the only thing that I'll admit to is that Mac monitors are easier to calibrate and have better color accuracy.
  • Ok well OSX does have a task manager its under utilities and is called the activity manager and you can use the force quit command in Finder to shut down programs. Windows XP is much more stable than it used to be but I still don't think it is stable or secure as OSX. But window takes up much more resources than OSX (could be the way I have configured it). They are more expensive but they last longer and I don't see many Mac users complain. I have a friend who has Macs from the last 15 years or so and they all work and run OS10.4 not many PC's that can survive that long.
  • Why o why would you want a 15 year old computer? I mean, I still have my 486 and it probably still works, but why would I want it? and Mac makes sure you "need" a new computer every year, and also, I believe that PC's are easier to upgrade than macs (hardware wise) thus expanding their lifespan.

As for a serious question, how do you get to that activity manager? because every time a Mac crashes on me, the mouse stops working (I mean, it moves, but doesn't let me click on anything).
  • edited January 2008
    The point is that it can, and since they are built well ...(applies to a few years ago), you did not need to upgrade since the hardware was ahead of its time, or just so powerful. But anyways I don't want to argue if you can do all your work on Windows and it's cheaper than that, great. For me, Windows just can't keep up. Hmmm, I can't remember the shortcut but if you use command + option + escape you will get the force quit command. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • "I try to click 'Ok', BUT THE SYSTEM'S ALREADY LOCKED UP!"
    Oh God, I think I can still quote the majority of this vid.
  • I do think my Mac crashed A LOT less then my Windows laptop.
  • First off, I'll admit to being someone who drinks the mac kool-aid. That being said, I work in IT for an Ad agency. We have a mix of macs and PCs. However, the PCs are only used for Account people and everyone else (from Creatives to Studio, and even the Project Managers and Copywriters) use Macs. For serious work I'd always recommend a Desktop over a laptop, for the obvious reasons. Buying a Mac laptop does gain you some benefits over the desktop: portability (at cost for $/speed) and an international warranty (I'm pretty sure the desktop are nation specific).

Another thing in the 17 vs 15 inch debate is how portable does it need to be. In my company, if for some insane reason a studio or creative person needs a laptop as their primary, we give them a 15". The reason for this is its much more cost effective to have an external monitor (whether it be a Dell or Mac 20" - we have both) to give you that needed extra space. Yes, you lose it when on the go, but the cost doesn't warrant it. That is to say, unless you ONLY are going to use it portably and not have a spot you return to. Plus with an external monitor it allows for a USB hub and all your external devices (Wacom tablets, external HDs, printers, etc.) to be sitting there plugged into one cable awaiting your return.

On the Mac vs PC debate... again I'm a mac fanboy so my opinion may be skewed. But from what I can see from the CS3 suite, Quark and other design apps, the tend to lean towards the mac. Nothing so much that if you were to buy a new desktop on either side you'd notice. They'd both be "faster" than what you have now. With the PC you'll need to make sure that everything is up to speed as the PC has more system requirements than the mac (Adobe KBase info), although the specs required for both are pretty much equal.

Side by side, mac I believe is faster. But if you search online I've found both test results that "prove" both sides. Supposedly Bridge works a little better on mac than the PC. Other than that from what i can tell they're pretty much on par. So long of it all? Play with both and see which you prefer.
  • edited January 2008
    Wow Tasel, can I work where you do? That is nice and rare to find an IT department that supports Mac users. I have always been the "Mac IT" guy, but you have good points.
  • I've used my 15" Macbook Pro since August and I've been really happy with it. The OS is very stable and secure but as everything it's not perfect. But with apps like Quicksilver (an application launcher, does everything quick and the plugins, installable with a build in browser, add support for every -and more- things you could think of) and Growler (a system notifier, does everything from the song in itunes to telling you when you plug in a cable, get an IP address or disconnect or unmount a drive) it easily makes using a computer very comfortable. And if you, for whatever reason, don't like Mac OS X you can install Windows (according to PC World the MBP is the best Vista Laptop) via Bootcamp or Linux. If you need to run a Windows program quickly you can use Crossover (basically WINE for the Mac) or use Parallels or VMWare. If that's not good enouth go directly with a reboot to Bootcamp.

If you want to use a MBP as a LAPtop, you should get smcFan Control, it allows you to set minimum speeds for the Fans (3000 is silent and keeps the thing cool), as they tend to get quite warm. Main Menu does all maintenance you want.

As for Dashboard plugins iStat pro gives you all info you'd want from your system.

I prefer my displays matte, it's much more usable, the glossy stuff looks really good when it's dark, as for the rest of the time it works good as a mirror.

I use the 15" because it's more portable and has a longer battery life.

If you happen to have problems with your Mac you can always ask Google, on a Mac the chances of you having a unique problem is more than really low.

As for the video, you close an app with Command+Q or Force Quit it in the Dock or press Command+Option+Esc or use the Activity Monitor (in the Application/Utilities Folder; or press your Quicksilver hot keys, type A and it should be the first or second option. And if an app locks up (spinning ball of death) it doesn't lock the OS up, the app might stress your hardware but you can still quit it and it would certainly not shut down your Mac (I only had two kernel panics which were all probably connected to the last.fm app). Also the three buttons on every window tell you if you saved the file, if not there will be a black dot on the red, close the window, button. When you press that button the Window will close but the app keeps running, different from Windows but better imo. Windows can be hidden with Command+W or you use F9 for Expose and all open windows will shrink down and you'll have a look at all of them and when you hover over them, the name of the app will be shown. F10 will do the same only for the Windows of the currently selected app, F11 pushes everything aside and you get a free look at your desktop.

Mac OS X copies files when you drag and drop them, for Aliases you press the Command and Option Keys then drag the file. When moving files over different partitions or harddrives it copies the files, moving them on the same drive cuts and pastes them.

In the System Preferences you can set what the OS should do when you insert a Disk, in default it opens Photo Disks with iPhoto, Audio Discs with iTunes (in the iTunes Preferences you can set it up to play the tracks or to automatically rip them and eject the Disk when it's done) and DVDs with with the DVD Player (what you probably want to do anyway), if not press the apple in the upper left corner System Preferences CDs & DVDs.

Apple got rid of the old, in my opinion, ugly design. No more hook, just plain aluminum, sleek beauty.

You start the Software Update in the upper left "apple" menu, when an app has something to say it bounces, once you click it, it stops.

If you want to update a non Apple product you can use AppFresh (it works for me but is still in beat thought) to do so very easily but most apps have an option to automatically look and install updates upon start and there's also a Dashboard Widget.

You don't get in touch with the system files and the updates always worked perfectly for me, if you want to rename a file press the enter button and the system highlights the name and not the extension, when you however change the extension it asks you if you want to change it or keep the old one.

The dock works really nice, you can set it up to hide automatically, how big the icons initially should be and how big they should get when you hover your cursor over them. The top is reserved for the menu bar, which every app uses no matter where you move the window, it's also nice since the Preferences are in the same place for every app on your Mac. So moving the Dock there would be kind of dumb.
  • edited January 2008
    Cool, this is the thread of very long posts! High quality stuff, guys. Glad to see other experienced Mac guys. And Also, OSX has a automatic backup software called Time Machine. It will save all your projects and documents every few hours, and if you need something you can open the program and use its very pretty GUI to navigate to the right time and the right file.
  • edited January 2008
    15" is fine. If you want bigger, dock it.

The current, least-expensive MBP configuration is an excellent laptop.

Go for matte finish if you ever use your computer where there are light sources, such as light bulbs, the sun, or phosphorescent fungus.

Don't believe the hype; there is nothing about a Mac that makes it inherently better for digital video or any multimedia application. If what you're doing can be accomplished on a laptop, the OS isn't going to make a difference.

For much of the MBP's history, there was little price gap with competing products. What you got for that premium was the slickest-looking and most solidly-built (non-toughbook) laptop on the market.

Now, Dell is competing harshly on price. It kind of suggests inferiority, but hardware-wise, they can match or exceed the MBP for much less. Exhibit A.

The only thing you can't get on a Dell is Mac OS X. Personally, I dislike it. I use it every day, and have for 2 years, and I don't like it any more. It may be "intuitive", but only for people who have never used Windows or Linux. If you have gotten used to either, the "intuitiveness" of Mac OS X will actually just be very annoying to you. Have fun figuring out all of the mission-critical, undocumented, unintuitive keyboard shortcuts.

To each their own. Like the iPhone, Mac OS 10.5 has a lot of features that aren't firsts, but are executed in a slick way. Time Machine is just another backup program, but with a nifty interface. The new preview functionality brings things like picture-viewing up to the bar Microsoft set with Windows XP's Picture and Fax Viewer. There really aren't any other new features worth mentioning.

Honestly, at this point, my recommendation is the Dell.
    Post edited by kenjura on
  • @ darthlog

Thanks for your great input. I won't really be wheeling it around all that much so the 17" is extremely tempting. It's a lot of money thought.
    Right now I'm working on an old Mac in Uni and putting some video together in iMovie (Which is so easy to use but you can do some nifty stuff with it) and it's working out very nicely. The glossy display it is for me then, I've no issues working near glare.
  • @ Jain7th

Some really useful tips there, thanks a lot for that.

I do think I'll stick with the 15" as the extra battery life is a pretty important factor. Still not sure about Matte or Glossy, but probably the latter as I'll be doing a lot of photographic and video work and need that extra polished look.
  • It may be switched off but you should see how it reflects (it may not look like it in the photos but the colors are pretty close to reality).

Trust me, switched on it stays that way. Really check out a glossy display before you decide to use one for the next years. A classmate of mine brought a notebook with glossy screen to school today, all of the people who looked at it didn't like the reflection and when he said he liked it that way (he paid 800 Euros and will be using it for the next years), they said that's because he' likes to look at himself.
  • They said that's because he' likes to look at himself.
    LOL.

I've seen the matte before on a friends older G4 and I really liked it but haven't seen the glossy myself. Thanks, I will check it out before I make a decision.