This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Codename: Kids Next Door

edited January 2008 in Everything Else
This series has ended last night on CN. It was a great finale for this animated series. You normally don't get to see a cartoon get an epic send off like this.

SPOILERS: (This was filmed in part live action! The interviews we real people and the story was animated. Wow! It started out as another C.A.K.E.D story but became a scavenger hunt which was a disguised test. This episode is directly connected to T.R.E.A.T.Y which was a hint at numbah one being chosen. In this epic last episode where plot lines are tied and it ends he's chosen to be a member of the galactic kids next door! With tearful goodbyes he leaves. At the very end the four adult operatives end the interview and it's hinted that one is back.)

The last few eps. of the series leads up to this with hints. T.R.E.A.T.Y and G.I.R.L.F.R.I.E.N.D. shown this.

I liked how the entire series had story arcs. Or it shows a bigger plot through hints in the episodes. I love the character design and writing. The characters themselves are really great too. My favorites are numbah 3, 5and 86.

Operation Z.E.R.O became my favorite non theatrical animated film so far. That movie had some pretty cool twists and back story.

Comments

• This was a surprisingly good show, but it was overtaken by all of the crappy shows Cartoon Network has made in the past few years. It's writing was great and I wish that more cartoons had such great writing (the only other shows I can think of at the moment that are on TV now are The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy and The Fairly Odd Parents).
  • I just watched the last episode and I have to say it was done quite well. I will even admit I was slightly moved near the end. I won't spoil it, if you saw it, you know the part I'm talking about.

As an avid cartoon fan I have to say Kids Next Door was an odd cartoon. It started off as episodic and actually very forgettable. Then slowly, episodes started to hint at one another and pull together to make a larger story, and it actually started getting interesting. Which of course meant that it was then taken off the air.

I kind of feel the same way about the current cartoon "Yin Yang Yo". It's an ok cartoon with some good humor in it, but I really only started making sure I tivo'ed it when the seemingly random episodes starting to link to each other to make an actual story, climaxing with a pretty darned good finish.
  • edited January 2008
    Sigh. I missed, that too. It's kind of annoying.
    Oh well. RIP to one of the last kids' shows I actually liked. I'm going to miss it. And then I'll just watch more anime.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I dunno... it was definitely a unique show, but I never got into it... the whole kids vs evil adults thing...
  • edited January 2008
    the whole kids vs evil adults thing...
    That's true, but most of the time, it was portrayed in such a silly manner that it couldn't really apply to real life. If your concern is that kids will model themselves after this show, thats a moot point. Again, it's not shown realistically at all, and there are admirable adults in that show anyway.

If the point you're trying to make is that it's a setup that's been done too many times before, I'd have to agree. However, this show actually applied the concept in a brilliant manner that made it stand out from the rest of the crowd.

Of course, if you're making the point that you just didn't find it enjoyable, then that's fine - that's an opinion that I can't exactly try to "refute." ;-)
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • I just didn't find it enjoyable... that's all. I didn't think the show promoted kids to have a r3v0lut1on against their parents or adults... or anything like that.. :) The show seemed original to me... I just never got into it.
  • That last episode was really good, the end was great but its like, "Come on! Now I want to see more!"

I think what made the show as a whole good was that it started with a fairly simple concept, and built a rather deep and impressive mythology as the show went along.
  • That last episode was really good, the end was great but its like, "Come on! Now I want to see more!"

I think what made the show as a whole good was that it started with a fairly simple concept, and built a rather deep and impressive mythology as the show went along.
    Fully agreed...and I teared up again. I'm a fucking sap.
  • Pull it together, man! It was a good show that went out with a bang. How much more can you ask?
  • It just seeing all the goodbyes....aw man. T_T
  • I am not so sure that this is really the end of the series. How many times have we been told "this is the final episode!" and then out of no where some sort of spin off comes a long. Personally I see some sort of spin off show in the future but hopefully that prediction is long because most shows that have either a spin off, or a sequel usually end up dying horrible deaths in the belly of Satan.
  • Of course, if you're making the point that you just didn't find it enjoyable, then that's fine - that's an opinion that I can't exactly try to "refute." ;-)
    Yes you can this is the internet. This is the place where my opinion is correct and others are wrong.