This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Storyline Suggestions?

edited January 2008 in Everything Else
Hey guys, I'm trying to write a sci-fi adventure novel and I'd like your help with the first story line.

The Premise:
Sam, an IT student in New York, befriends a quantum physicist and is asked if he would like to take part in a revolutionary experiment. Having no family and nothing to lose, Sam takes the leap and ends up becoming the test subject for a gateway to a parallel universe. The problem is no one knows where it leads. Probes have been sent in but they have never returned; He is the first human test subject. He is told that the gateway will only last a week, and is given a wristwatch that can trigger another gateway in case he misses the original one. The catch is there is no guarantee that the new gateway will lead back home.

This story is like a combination between Sliders, Quantum leap, and Stargate.

So what should the first universe he land in be? I was thinking a world of OS-tans, but maybe I'm a bit too much into Moe girls. He will be picking up a female companion in this new world to take with on his adventures so keep that in mind. Also, should one of his friends go with him?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

-Sonic

Comments

• So is this supposed to be a comedy or a more serious novel? If this is just a standard anime-fan parody thing, then OS-tans would be fine, (I think they are cute) but if you want the novel to be more than a piece of fluff you need some plot meat on the bones of your concept.

One way to flesh out you story and give it a bit more of an emotional punch is to make the central problem around one that people can relate to real life. One thing about Sci Fi that I love is that it provides a way to comment on social problems without directly talking about them. Every story needs conflict, so try theming your work around something that bothers you, an obsession for good or for bad. Gundam thinks about the strife of war - it may involve giant robots in space, but the feelings and problems involved have their roots in the war stories of the past. What about the OS tans appeals to you, thinking on a deeper level? That machines can be anthropomophic, that they have a humanoid "spirit" to represent them? He could fall in love and rescue an AI (which looks like a darling moe girl) who is about to be deleted due to the fact that no-one considers these computers as alive dispite the fact that they think and feel like you or I? Social Inequality, Slavery, Cruelty...Make a bad thing that must be solved by a good thing. What would disturb you about this world (problem) and what would fascinate and excite you(way toward solving the problem).

So this student someone with nothing left to lose? You don't casually walk toward your possible death. Make it a burning desire to escape this world, or sorrow that causes him to throw himself upon the sacrificial alter of science. What would cause a character to take a risk that drastic which may result in his permanant exile from his own dimension. You have to be hard core, and have a hard core emotional motivation. This will also influence his interactions with the other characters and situations as well. Is he looking for a emotional companionship? What is he lacking in this world that makes him want to leave it. This need is his driving force. I say no friends. He picks up friends along the long road back home.

Oh my, its a ramble. Four years of Screenwriting FTW. (I don't write professionally but I like to do it as a hobby - I'm an animator mainly) My advice is to think about the pyschology of the characters and it will probably inspire you. Make a list of hopes and fears, almost like an role playing character sheet for their emotions. Also - before you start, make a thorough outline from start to finish. It should go something like this.

Journey of the Hero

Following this formula won't make it cliched, almost any story you can think of follows the "Hero's Journey."
    Write an outline and post it, pleasepleaseprettyplease? I'm interested.

And maybe make three dimensions he goes through. Each one has a separate problem. Each one has a different character. Good Luck.
  • The first world should be the same as this but Linux is the dominant OS.
  • Sonic. What is important to you and what messages do you want to convey? An easy example would be a world where the roles of men and women are reversed as a way of bringing up issues of sexual inequality. If you wanted to do something closer to home you could make a world that is run by the RIAA.
    If it's your first serious work, don't expect it to be perfect. You have to get something wrong a lot of times before you can do it right.
  • edited January 2008
    So is this supposed to be a comedy or a more serious novel? If this is just a standard anime-fan parody thing, then OS-tans would be fine, (I think they are cute) but if you want the novel to be more than a piece of fluff you need some plot meat on the bones of your concept.
    I've actually written several short stories (some my own characters, some fanfics), but I thought I'd write a novel for once. Comedy or serious? I'd say it would be a mix, but more leaning towards serious. The reason I thought of OS-Tans (or AI) was because having one would be a great utility player and add some romantic drama. The central issue in this part of the story is getting back to the gateway in time, which (lets be honest) ain't gonna happen.
    So this student someone with nothing left to lose? You don't casually walk toward your possible death. Make it a burning desire to escape this world, or sorrow that causes him to throw himself upon the sacrificial alter of science. What would cause a character to take a risk that drastic which may result in his permanant exile from his own dimension. You have to be hard core, and have a hard core emotional motivation. This will also influence his interactions with the other characters and situations as well. Is he looking for a emotional companionship? What is he lacking in this world that makes him want to leave it. This need is his driving force. I say no friends. He picks up friends along the long road back home.
    Yes, that pretty much it. As I said he has no family, no girlfriend, no job, and only one friend. While we're at it, lets fuck the obfuscation and say He's going to RIT. But the thing is he doesn't know what he's agreeing to when he agrees to it. He's going on a strong gut feeling that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Is he going to pick up friends on the way, no doubt, but this is going to be a loooooong trip back home.
    Oh my, its a ramble. Four years of Screenwriting FTW. (I don't write professionally but I like to do it as a hobby - I'm an animator mainly) My advice is to think about the pyschology of the characters and it will probably inspire you. Make a list of hopes and fears, almost like an role playing character sheet for their emotions. Also - before you start, make a thorough outline from start to finish. It should go something like this.

Journey of the Hero

Following this formula won't make it cliched, almost any story you can think of follows the "Hero's Journey."
    Write an outline and post it, pleasepleaseprettyplease? I'm interested.

And maybe make three dimensions he goes through. Each one has a separate problem. Each one has a different character. Good Luck.
    Haha, Your ramble is very much appreciated! It was really informative and actually gave me a great idea for the story!

Link to what I've got so far
    Link to Story outline
    Link to one of my short stories

EDIT: It took me about an hour to finish up this post and then I find Omnutia's post. So rather than double posting, I append.
    Sonic. What is important to you and what messages do you want to convey? An easy example would be a world where the roles of men and women are reversed as a way of bringing up issues of sexual inequality. If you wanted to do something closer to home you could make a world that is run by the RIAA.
    If it's your first serious work, don't expect it to be perfect. You have to get something wrong a lot of times before you can do it right.
    Role reversals? Hm. Didn't they do that in Star Trek: TNG?
    RIAA Domination? Haha, I love it! And it would fit nicely with the whole OS-tan thing.
    Perfect? Never expected it to be.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • And maybe make three dimensions he goes through. Each one has a separate problem. Each one has a different character. Good Luck.
    Sonic, have you seen Kino no Tabi? Or Galaxy Express 999? From what I gather from Scott both are pretty much the same with the main character(s) going from place to place and observing that new place for some time before moving on. Which is a pretty basic thing in a traveling story. Good luck, great comment by gomidog btw.
  • edited January 2008
    No, I haven't. I would download it, but I've got to do a little spring cleaning first. But thanks for the luck!
  • Oh, I forgot to mention. The links I posted above are to auto-updating google docs files. That means that when I make changes to the doc, it gets updated, therefore the pages are awesomely dynamic.
  • Read your outline and first draft of the beginning chapters. I noticed that you are using a style composed primarily of dialogue, which might work well for a short subject but for a novel it might become a little difficult to get through. A book that might read to give you some idea of how to approach the subject stylistically, having a young first person narrator who speaks in a casual, conversational manner, is "Flight" by Sherman Alexis, about a native American teenage delinquent who gets himself shot and ends up tripping through time, inhabiting many different bodies in many different situations. It has a similarly depressed main character, parentless, who's initial reaction to most things in life is "whatever." However, its a style that is pretty hard to nail, so in case you decide to opt for a easier, more conventional writing style, I have three pieces of advice.

1. Little details - flavor text: Say he is going to RIT. What does he notice about his surroundings and the other people? Visuals, smells, sounds; create an environment for him to inhabit and put your reader there. This will become even more important once he leaves this world and comes into the next one. You want to show your reader something.
    2. Feelings: Get up in his head. What is he feeling physically, emotionally, and mentally? Tired? Irritated? Does his heart start to beat fast when he thinks about the possibility of other worlds? Just like you want to put the reader in the setting, put them inside the body of the character. Since this is first person and you are telling the story from in his head, you need more than just what comes out of his mouth. Elaborate. Next time you are sitting bored in class don't just think about what is happening, think about the experience - hard chairs, stinky fanboy B.O. (it is RIT after all) flourescent lighting. Describe the old man, not just his age but his mannerisms, voice, and physical imperfections.
    3. You need to build up more of a bond between the professor and the protagonist. It still seems a little thin right now for friendship, especially the life risking kind. Maybe they are not so much friends as each one sees the other as a golden opportunity to achieve their goals. (Proving a theory and escaping lousy life on earth) Motivate go!
    An easy example would be a world where the roles of men and women are reversed as a way of bringing up issues of sexual inequality.
    Sci Fi role reversals reminds me of the episode of Red Dwarf where Rimmer and Lister meet their female selves from another dimension...heh.

• 1. Little details - flavor text: Say he is going to RIT. What does he notice about his surroundings and the other people? Visuals, smells, sounds; create an environment for him to inhabit and put your reader there. This will become even more important once he leaves this world and comes into the next one. You want to show your reader something.
    2. Feelings: Get up in his head. What is he feeling physically, emotionally, and mentally? Tired? Irritated? Does his heart start to beat fast when he thinks about the possibility of other worlds? Just like you want to put the reader in the setting, put them inside the body of the character. Since this is first person and you are telling the story from in his head, you need more than just what comes out of his mouth. Elaborate. Next time you are sitting bored in class don't just think about what is happening, think about the experience - hard chairs, stinky fanboy B.O. (it is RIT after all) fluorescent lighting. Describe the old man, not just his age but his mannerisms, voice, and physical imperfections.
    3. You need to build up more of a bond between the professor and the protagonist. It still seems a little thin right now for friendship, especially the life risking kind. Maybe they are not so much friends as each one sees the other as a golden opportunity to achieve their goals. (Proving a theory and escaping lousy life on earth) Motivate go!
    Well, the thing is that the professor isn't a character Sam is going to be getting attached to. For me, he's just a means to an end. I think that Sam will take a buddy with him. As for describing the surroundings of RIT, the most I can do is go off what Rym and Scott have said during various shows (flush hard), the campus webcams, and Google maps. But I decided to sandwich a more detailed chapter between 2 and 3 which should give a little slice of life from Sam's perspective and also give me the chance to introduce his friend who'll be traveling with him.

For those of you who went/are going to RIT, What's it like? Any info would be great!
  • Well, the thing is that the professor isn't a character Sam is going to be getting attached to. For me, he's just a means to an end.
    Careful. Making anything, especially something pretty central to the start of your whole story, just a "means to an end" will stand out in a bad way to your readers. Means-to-an-end thinking is what makes the vast majority of writing in the world mediocre.

Think about all of your characters like Burning Wheel characters, in the sense that they all have nontrivial motivations and desires. Even "minor" characters should, for as long as they're in the scene, be strong and engaging. What do they want? How will the get it? Why do they care? Without all of that, the side characters will appear hollow, which will reflect on your main ones.
    As for describing the surroundings of RIT, the most I can do is go off what Rym and Scott have said during various shows
    Again, be careful. What we've said over the years will give you a very superficial understanding of RIT which, I warn you, would be painfully obvious to anyone who's actually attended.

Maybe we'll do a show on RIT itself sometime soon.
  • Ah, I thought you were an RIT student! So, if you've been to college take some of that personal experience, and then add some little visual details like the brick towers or the odd sculptures. Ask people (like Scrym, or even me) what it's like. A writer must gather data, lots of data! Life Research!

I say nix the friend. Make him go it alone. The harder for him it is, the better. Torment your protagonist, muwahahah. Maybe his last remaining friend in the world leaves or somehow betrays him, causing him to choose dimensional exile. Not having a friend makes his meeting with the AI all the more meaningful. If you put a friend in there, it might sink into the realm of "buddies on a wacky adventure" territory.

I agree with Rym, that making any character a just a "means to an end" to move the plot along is asking for trouble. You need to think about what they want, why they do what they do and the plot will develop more naturally. Make the professor a stern mentor type, not really a friend but more like the "teacher/wise old man" that often accompanies the hero following the "call to adventure." In the Matrix, this character is Morpheus, offering Neo the Red Pill/Blue Pill choice. He intructs Neo in the beginning until Neo becomes strong enough to make it alone. Partway through the movie Morpheus is captured by Agent Smith and Neo cannot rely on his support any more. Like so. Perhaps allow the watch to be a communication device, so the professor can gather data by talking to Sam, so that in case Sam can't return he still proves his theory and advances his research. He guides Sam in the very beginning, but the connection is lost at a critical point (when Sam gets stranded, perhaps) and Sam is isolated, wondering if he can make it on his own. This is the same as "killing the mentor."

Like I said before, make a list of all the characters, their flaws, beliefs, problems, and desires. You'll find out things about them you didn't even know and it will inspire you when you are writing their actions in the story.
  • edited May 2008
    Bleh. I just finished chapter 3 after much re-writing and fine tuning. And thus I present this to the forum for peer review.

I've decided how things are going to play out and I'm hoping I can get some more free time to write the next chapter soon.
  • So, why would this character want to risk spending all that time in the other world? Why not just pop through and then pop back?
  • At first, its exploratory. Would you take a rocket to Mars only to be there for a few minutes then fly back? However, He ends up getting stuck there for longer than expected and it turns into a mad dash to get back.
  • At first, its exploratory. Would you take a rocket to Mars only to be there for a few minutes then fly back? However, He ends up getting stuck there for longer than expected and it turns into a mad dash to get back.
    If travel was instantaneous I would!
  • edited May 2008
    Well, I still trying to figure out how to make this whole portal thing work right. I'm thinking that it stays open for only a few minutes and then won't reopen for 24 hours. Since I've stated before that he WILL miss the portal (albeit in a spectacular way), I might have to throw in a Deus Ex Machina to get him hopping to another world. I'm hoping I can think away around that and make some valid plot point. His watch might be only able to detect the status of a portal, but then undergo some sort of modification or maybe have an emergency jump button or something. I'm leaning towards the modification scenario.
  • edited May 2008
    If you're leaning towards a serious novel, try to avoid a deus ex machina - or atleast, throw it in, but then go back and re-edit your work and put in some clues. Putting in an end-all mechanism which has no purchase in the plot except for saving it would jeopardise any credibility of what you'd written before and unsettle the reader. As much as science and technology are wonderful and awe-inspiring, the thing about writing any piece of fiction is that you've got to really get the relationships and motivations of the characters down. Make them as real as possible. Make the characters accessible to any audience.

Also, think about having themes, and motifs. Symbols. Ideas you want to convey, apart from telling a story.

The form of writing, as opposed to watching a story - real life, or animated - seems to be something which you're grappling with. You have to slip right into the character of Sam. You're writing in first person. Each moment which he's about to do an action, pause and think about why, and what he's feeling. Not just emotionally, but physically. Reel off each sense, and write about the ones which reflect on what he's feeling.

Editing also seems to be something you need to work on. I don't just mean spelling, or grammatically. I understand that you're just mostly fleshing out the story right now, writing the beginning to see where it will take you, but the thing about writing is that it has to flow. You can sacrifice grammar to stylize the voice you use when writing. You can structure the writing, the story, whatever, as long as it flows. And how to check that it flows? Read it out loud. That will help you feel out what's missing. If the narrative suddenly jumps - he's getting annoyed by something, but then he's responding chirpily to someone (don't worry, I don't think he did that) then something's missing. Fill in that gap. Make the experience real. Suck in the reader. Make them care about the characters. Even if you're just writing for enjoyment, you want to enjoy writing it, and the way to do that is to create characters which you like and can feel for.

I'm sorry if this seems like a lot of criticism, or if I'm repeating what other people say. I have to write a lot for school, and I lot of what I've said here is just repeated from what they've told me - except they tended to take red pens and scribble all over my work, and then look at me stonily when we have meetings. I just figured, since you asked for some input, I would try to oblige. Keep on going with the writing. Read some more, see how other people do it.
    Post edited by bertina on
  • Hey, I take all criticism happily because I'll be the first to admit my writing skills are in need of work. My writing experience has been basically focused on short 1-2 page stories, so this is new because I have to force myself to try and be creative with my writing technique. It's pretty hard for me which is why I'm so grateful for any tips. Actually, I was thinking about putting this story onto a wiki, each chapter having its own page. That way, if people have any suggestions or comments on certain parts or feel something should be written with more detail, they can put little notes on it for me to look at and try and fix.
    Obviously, since this is my first attempt at a longer story, I'm certainly not expecting it to be a work of literary awesome. This is more like my way of leveling up in writing skill.
  • Obviously, since this is my first attempt at a longer story, I'm certainly not expecting it to be a work of literary awesome. This is more like my way of leveling up in writing skill.
    Then just go for it. Don't worry too much, don't come asking for suggestions. Just write your stuff, and ask for comment afterward. Preferably, (and I don't say this to suggest that this isn't welcome here) on a forum that's focused on writing, where you're likely to get better criticism than a general forum like this one.