This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080128 - Software Sometimes Gets Worse

RymRym
edited January 2008 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the ways in which once proud software can change in ways that are sub-optimal. In the news, ban radiation detectors, or radiation detectors for all? Also, Nokia acquires Trolltech, which is interesting considering KDE's multi-platform rumblings.

Scott's Thing - The Circle of Life Blogs
Rym's Thing - Puppy vs. Robot

Comments

• Wow, that was quick! When did you start recording, 7?
  • I woke up at 5 this morning, my first action was to open up the laptop and download the latest episode as you release at 4am here (England, 0:00 GMT).
  • Path of least resistance Scott! And hold the wire at an insulated part. Also, congratulations Rym, the sun is great to see after ages.
  • Path of least resistance Scott! And hold the wire at an insulated part.
    If I hold it at the insulated part, it won't do anything.
  • If I hold it at the insulated part, it won't do anything.
    Unless the charge is in the door handle and not on you. =P
  • You feel the shock because the spark is created from your fingertip to the door handle, if you use a wire, the spark is generated between the cable and the door handle. I think at least.
  • Unless the charge is in the door handle and not on you. =P
    The charge is definitely in me, my sweater, my office chair, etc.
  • The charge is definitely in me, my sweater, my office chair, etc.
    Wear a wire mesh with leads trailing on the floor or connected to outlet grounds.
    Wear a wire mesh with leads trailing on the floor or connected to outlet grounds.
    Haha, no.
  • You feel the shock because the spark is created from your fingertip to the door handle, if you use a wire, the spark is generated between the cable and the door handle. I think at least.
    No, the pain you feel is the electricity passing through your body. Scott is right.
  • If you feel pain just at the tip of your finger then the wire will help you, the pain being caused by the spark crossing the air and hitting a very small area (try using the back of your hand). I have once put my arm on a banister and my whole arm suddenly spasmed and went dead; A wire would not have helped. You could try ringing a paper clip through your shoe which will stop sparks jumping from you to other things but not if the things are charged instead.
  • Why not just create a faraday cage around yourself?
  • Anti-static clothing?
  • Anti-static clothing?
    Shaved bald?
  • Is static electricity really that big of a deal. It barely hurts, not super annoying and you gotta be way weaksauce for it to effect you that much. Sigh.
  • That sedentary lifestyle is catching up to you, Scott. Need to build up your pain tolerance.
  • edited January 2008
    Surprised you talked about Justin Frankel and have not at least checked out his software. Particularly REAPER, which is a reasonably priced software for multitrack audio production. Unfortunately it is for Windows, but on the technical specifications page it lists WINE.

EDIT: Looks like an OS X version is out in perhaps beta.
    Post edited by scotbuff on
  • ParticularlyREAPER, which is a reasonably priced software for multitrack audio production.
    There are plenty of multi-track editors, and they're fine for music. What I need is audio processing/editing for radio, which is served by CoolEdit/Rezound and little else.
    Ah, I was of the assumption it was in the door handle, and the door handle alone. If the charge is in you, then yes holding an insulated wire won't help much. Are plastic gloves thick enough? Oooh, and I like Omnutia's paperclip idea, just tie a thin wire permanently along your knee or so and make it touch the ground 24/7. Or put on your footwear after putting on pants, shirt and sweater, might help perhaps.
  • Have your boss refit the entire office with tatami mats and have everyone walk around bare foot.
  • Why I think, most people think, Vista is bad. It nags you when you want to do something (I equate this with sudo). Some software does not work or work correctly under Vista. Some hardware does not work, or work correctly under Vista.

I have a laptop that came loaded with Vista home premium. When I got the laptop standby and hibernation did not work at all. Other than the Toshiba Disc Creator none of my burning software would work under Vista. I have a purchased copy of Nero and it was very frustrating when it would not work at all in Vista. Some of my games would not work. Battlefield 2142 worked when installed but after updating I got a warning that said "this game is not tested under Vista" and it would not launch. Other applications require you to run as administrator for them to work correctly. After 9 months worth of updates, I can hibernate/standby, but my card reader does not work after I resume. I need to reboot for it to come back.

Vista may actually be better than Windows XP, but 3rd party support is killing it's image. Consumers don't know the difference so Vista sucks.