This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

AOL to allow Jabber clients to connect to AIM servers

edited January 2008 in Technology
Has anyone else been trying to connect to AOL's Jabber server? From what I've read, this is a straight-up Jabber connection to AIM. Messaging and presence are supported, and you directly connect to AIM. So you can, if you can get through, connect using Psi, GAJIM, etc. and talk to all your AIM friends.

Comments

• Has anyone else been trying to connect toAOL's Jabber server? From what I've read, this is a straight-up Jabber connection to AIM. Messaging and presence are supported, and you directly connect to AIM. So you can, if you can get through, connect using Psi, GAJIM, etc. and talk to all your AIM friends.
    This is nice, but what I would really like to do is add AIM people to my Google Talk/Jabber buddy list without having to use some hackish aim-transport.
  • There's talk of them federating, but I don't know how much of that is wishful thinking and how much is truth.
  • There's talk of them federating, but I don't know how much of that is wishful thinking and how much is truth.
    Aim usename @aim.com or @aol.com. It would be the awesomeness.
  • edited January 2008
    You can enable AIM in Gmail. And you do get an aim.com email when you get an AIM screename.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It would be the awesomeness.
    It would be the fall of one of the largest ivory towers on the internet.
    Plus, I could get rid of Pidgin and use Psi exclusively. Unless gTalk has an AIM transport that I haven't been told about.
  • Youcanenable AIM in Gmail. And youdoget an aim.com email when you get an AIM screename.
    Clearly you are not familiar with Jabber and its workings.
  • edited January 2008
    Youcanenable AIM in Gmail.
    And youdoget an aim.com email when you get an AIM screename.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • ... Why don't I get that in my GAfYD version of Gmail?
  • edited January 2008
    Youcanenable AIM in Gmail.
    That's not what we're talking about. That sidebar in GMail is an IM client. It can connect to AIM, and it can connect to Google Talk separately. You realize that Google Talk is just Jabber. I can connect to Google Talk with any Jabber client, such as psi, Adium, Kopete, etc. I can also connect to AIM with any AIM client.

Connecting to both networks simultaneously within the same client is not the same as federation. Federation allows anyone with any Jabber server to chat with anyone else with any other Jabber server. I have a Jabber server at frontrowcrew.com, I can chat with someone who has an account on any other federated Jabber server at any domain. Being able to connect to both networks simultaneously with one client is nice. Having one account with one network be able to talk to everybody on every other network is even better. If AOL allowed federation then I could send a message to someone @aol.com from my Google Talk account @frontrowcrew.com. I would be able to delete my AIM account, and never login to it again.
    And youdoget an aim.com email when you get an AIM screename.
    We're not talking about e-mail. E-mail has nothing to do with this. As I said, you are clearly not familiar with Jabber, or you would know that Jabber usernames look just like e-mail addresses. Hence, our discussion of @aol.com and @aim.com.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • ... Why don't I get that in my GAfYD version of Gmail?
    You do, you just have to activate it.