This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

About the anime and TiVo

edited January 2008 in Everything Else
The difference from fansubs and TiVoing the episodes without watching the ads is as follows (it might sound a bit confusing, but bare with me, english is not my native language):

The station that made the initial broadcast payed for the rights to broadcast said show, so the company that made the show gets money out of it, whey you skip the adds you are screwing the TV station, not the anime producers, they already got paid for the rights and don't see a cent of commission on the adds.

Now, If you watch it over TV, then the ratings go up for that particular show, and probably the network producers notice the spike and buy the rights for the same show to broadcast the same show on other stations across the country, so it means more rights money for the anime producers. More money = more shows, if more and more people watch anime on TV instead of fansubs (where there is no real data on audience and such) then the people with the money would see a trend with actual numbers and not speculation and then decide to go forth and invest on more and more anime, until the numbers show a decline.

When you watch fansubs, the anime producers don't get a cent, and the TV station doesn't get any real data as of how many people are actually watching the show, so they can't sell as many adds as they could if they had real numbers.

That the difference and how fansubs can hurt anime.

On the other hand Fansubs create a sort of "word of mouth" marketing for the shows, as most people can't really keep up with all the new releases. You can also use fansubs as a way of previewing a show before buying it, just to make sure that its the kind of show that you like.

And yes, companies make the money with the merchandising not the DVD sales or movie rights.

Comments

• RymRym
    edited January 2008
    Now, If you watch it over TV, then the ratings go up for that particular show,
    Only if they are tracking my personal viewing habits. If I don't respond to surveys or anything like that, then I'm invisible. I don't exist. They can't count me without lying.
    screwing the TV station, not the anime producers, they already got paid for the rights and don't see a cent of commission on the adds.
    Yes. Someone is still getting screwed. The anime producer is selling my eyeballs to advertisers, but my eyeballs are never getting there. It's a fake sale.

What I'm asking is, how is this any different from watching the fansub? No one can know I've watched either. The only difference is whether an advertising company got screwed, or an anime company got screwed.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • What I'm asking is, how is this any different from watching the fansub? No one can know I've watched either. The only difference is whether an advertising company got screwed, or an anime company got screwed.
    Well, I thought you asked how its hurting the anime industry... so, that IS the main difference.
  • Well, I thought you asked how its hurting the anime industry... so, that IS the main difference.
    I think the thing you fail to understand is how TV ratings work. TV ratings are calculated by the Nielsen group. If you agree to be a Nielsen house, that means you have this box attached to your TV that tells them what you watch. You can not be a Nielson house without knowing it. If you are not a Nielsen house, you do not count for TV ratings. If someone is not a Nielson person, they don't count for ratings, so what is the difference between them watching a fansub and watching on TV with no ads?
  • Well, I was talking in general, there are people that take surveys, stations track traffic on their sites for clicks regarding the show, how many people enter the info page on the show, there are Nielsen houses, when they cancel a show they see the amount of bitching and whining generated (case in point, family guy), and a whole lot more of ways for the TV company to figure out what you are watching, so yes, maybe YOU don't come into the whole thing, but still, the question was, whats the difference and how it affects anime. But I guess I did misinterpret the question as a general thing, not a personal Rym and Scott, as you are basing your speculations on your personal experience and kinda making it sound like its universal, when in reality fansubs DO hurt the anime industry, kinda like "All A's are B's, thus all B's are A's" fallacy (I know this comment is going to bite me back in the ass) but maybe I wasn't paying much attention, so if thats the case, I'll accept defeat.
  • I agree with Scott when he says the biggest problem for anime is the fact that a lot of it isn't that great and the good shows you only watch once. I really can't think of any anime in the last two years I've watched more than once other than Baccano (why isn't this being imported, are they stupid?) and Haruhi Suzumiya (I own the first DVD, just haven't gotten around to the rest yet.)