This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Battlefield Heroes

edited February 2008 in Video Games
So it was announced a week or two ago that EA will be releasing the next installation of the Battlefield series this summer, however the new installment is quite different. Here are several main differences and features:
  • FREE! There are ads with the game, but none of them show up when you are actually in game, I think they only appear in menu screens.
  • There are microtransactions for in-game items, but they are all cosmetic, none of them affect gameplay.
  • Cartoony, TF2 like graphics
Here is the press release:
Munich, Germany, January 21, 2008 – At the Digital, Life, Design Conference (DLD) in Munich, Electronic Arts Inc., (NASDAQ: ERTS) today unveiled Battlefield Heroes™, an all-new Play 4 Free cartoon-style shooter that will bring classic Battlefield gameplay to an all new mass audience. Available for download at www.battlefield-heroes.com this summer, Battlefield Heroes is EA’s first title that is offered completely for free, and features a built-in matchmaking system to ensure that players of equal skill are paired together for fair play. Developed by DICE in Stockholm, Battlefield Heroes is leading EA’s new web-focused free to download, free to play business model which generates revenue through advertising and micro-transactions. With zero barriers to entry, now anyone can be a hero on the battlefield!

“Online gaming garners a massive audience,” said Gerhard Florin, EVP Publishing Americas-Europe at EA. “People want to play games in new ways, with easier access that is quick to the fun. With Battlefield Heroes, EA brings its first major franchise to North America and Europe with a new distribution model and pricing structure adapted to the evolving way that people play.”

Battlefield Heroes is a brand new game from the team behind Battlefield 1942™ and Battlefield 2™. It’s fun cartoon-style graphics and gameplay caters to players of all skill levels. It is easy to pick up and play but with robust character customization and a deep online meta-game, gamers can spend hours building up their characters and conquering the world.

“We put a different twist on this Battlefield game going with the cartoon-style graphics and gameplay,” added Ben Cousins, Senior Producer at EA DICE. “There’s something here for all types of players — be it our core Battlefield fans or casual gamers. With the new online model, we will continually add new content to keep the game fresh and keep players engaged, while integrating player feedback in real time. As a game developer, it is such a cool new way to make games.”
That is pretty much all there is, but it is very interesting. What are your thoughts?

Battlefield Heroes Website

Comments

• edited February 2008
    It is easy to pick up and play but with robust character customization and a deep online meta-game, gamers can spend hours building up their characters and conquering the world.
    This sounds more like an MMO more than it is an FPS.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Sounds like Maple Story without the ugly graphics.
  • It looks good from the trailer. Well at least the fact that its free means that I don't have to pay to try it out when its finally released.
  • Wow. It's a TF2 MMO set in WWII. However, it's free, whcih means I'll probably pick it up for a week at some point.
  • I really don't see the TF2 comparison. Cartoonish graphics does not a TF2 knock-off make. This looks like The Incredibles, if anything. I am super pumped about it, and think that the customization and risk-esque territorial takeover mini/meta game looks swell. :)
  • Wow. It's a TF2 MMO set in WWII. However, it's free, whcih means I'll probably pick it up for a week at some point.
    It's not really MMO-ish. The leveling only applies towards non-gameplay related aspects such as your characters appearance and stuff. There are no weapon unlocks or anything which would give you a disadvantage (I'm looking at you Scott).
  • This game is totally worth checking out.
  • I think the shift away from trying for greater realism to more artistic graphics is definitely a good thing, for me at least.
  • I'm definitely willing to try this game, I'm just not optimistic.
  • I think the whole "It's free, I'll try it" attitude stems from the fact that it's free exclusively, not that it looks lackluster. After seeing the video, I would pay for this game, and I think offering it for free has people doubting them. I want this game to whoop some serious ass. I can't wait.
  • edited May 2008
    Here is a taste of what gameplay is going to look like:

It should be out soon, so I can't wait.
    Also, here are the system requirements:
    * Operating System: Windows XP or Windows Vista
    * CPU: 1.0 GHz
    * RAM: 512 Mb (1Gb on Windows Vista)
    * Video Card: 64Mb DirectX compliant video card with at least pixel shader 2.0 support
    * Hard Drive space: 1Gb of space is required to install the game
    * Internet connection: 256kbit Cable/DSL connection
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited May 2008
    Love the sound effects. Not sure I like how far they've watered down the feeling of being in a warzone though.
    Does anyone still play Battlefield 2? I think once I've given Empires a try that will be my next stop.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I just got a beta keeyyy.... <_<
  • I just got a beta keeyyy.... <_<</p>
    Regular reports are expected.
  • I just got a beta keeyyy.... <_<</p>
    Regular reports are expected.
    Yes, if only because I didn't see this thread the first time around, which means I just signed up for the beta. FYI, I'm not getting a key.
  • Wow, this game has taken a freaking long time to come out, eh?
  • I got a beta key about a week or so ago. It's fun, probably would say slightly more skill based then say TF2. My issues with it at the moment are mostly things that will hopefully/should be fixed by the time its really "released," and mostly revolve around when you want to change characters/sides or change things about your character you have to completely exit out of a server.
  • The game is pretty fun, mostly mindless fragging. Only problem I can forsee is that it will be really micro-transactiony. Not to mention you have to earn points in order to get "better" weapons. However, for a free game you can't really complain. If you want to play with me, my name is OtterVonWeasel with the National Army.
  • The game is pretty fun, mostly mindless fragging. Only problem I can forsee is that it will be really micro-transactiony. Not to mention you have to earn points in order to get "better" weapons. However, for a free game you can't really complain. If you want to play with me, my name is OtterVonWeasel with the National Army.
    Wait, seriously? I thought that we were all happy because you only get cosmetic stuff when you level up. I'm hoping those quotations meant cosmetic stuff. :P
  • Wait, seriously? I thought that we were all happy because you only get cosmetic stuff when you level up. I'm hoping those quotations meant cosmetic stuff. :P
    From what I can tell, the weapons are indeed different/better. However, they are level independent. You get them by earning VPs in-game (not quite sure how you get them completely, but some ways of earning them are completing missions which are basically achievements). All the cosmetic stuff such as clothing are bought with points which you purchase with real moneyz I think.
  • Some of the clothes require victory points instead of the "battle points" which are the points you purchase. Leveling gets you new abilities, or lets you enhance old ones (1 point every two levels.) But VP and BP carry over across all your characters. I wouldn't necessarily say that the weapons are always better, they just offer different options based on how you want to play your character.
  • edited April 2009
    I just got my beta key in the big wave. Been waiting for the last 6 hours for the website to start working again. Finally downloading it currently.

Edit: Well, I'm liking the game, but it's definitely a leveling up kind of thing. At least you can't spend money to do the leveling for you. I also really like the fact that you can reassign your Hero Points at any time.

In other news, I have a level 5 sharpshooter.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Seems interesting. I always liked MMOFPSes and this seems like it might be fun to play for a while.