This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott, Viga, Neito and Hungryjoe appear on FNPL Episode 24.

edited February 2008 in Everything Else
FNPL 24 is up. We had a lot of fun last night. Sometimes when we do the show, we hang up immediately after we finish the topics. I have an extra 24 minutes of material for future use because we kept talking and even talked more after I stopped recording. Here are the topics:
(special thanks to the poster here who gave me the link to the TED video on happiness)

1.Look at this article on artificial intelligence guys who killed themselves. http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/16-02/ff_aimystery Do you think that there's something about this field that causes people to go crazy? Do you think that there is a conspiracy here?
2.I'm very much into playing with AI even though the state of the art is, well, lacking.Do you think we'll ever have software that allows you to interact with your computer in a way that's more than basic voice commands or mouse clicking? How many years away is this? Is it another flying car?
3.State of podcasting today: are video podcasters killing the internet radio stars?
4.Are we child men (or women?) Is there any merit to this article? Why or why not? http://www.city-journal.org/2008/18_1_single_young_men.html
5.Model turned bodyguard gets killed. http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/01/model-turned-bo.html. Is having martial arts skills meaningful anymore? If someone has a gun or gets the jump on you, does it matter? Look at the mixed martial arts guys that are so popular now. Isn't this just wrestling? And given the fact that boxers do poorly against these guys, shouldn't people just learn to wrestle?
6.What are you willing to do to extend your lifespan? Eat less? Exercise? Take drugs? Would you do what Stallone admits to doing?
7.Watch this TED video: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/97. What do you think? Does he have something here that can help people be happy?
Are outcomes really irrelevant? What about persistent misery? Haven't you ever known people who are never happy? Have you ever met people who buy something and they are never happy with it?

Comments

• I thought I noticed this during the recording, but this confirmed it.
    You introduced this episode as episode 23.
  • That's ok, last year I was fond of saying it was 2008. Simultaneously handling the Skype, managing the sound and recording and being a co-host challenges the brain.
  • edited February 2008
    This podcast is turning more and more into "FRC fourm skype chat". It was also funny to hear Joe's voice.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited February 2008
    This podcast is turning more and more into "FRC fourm skype chat". It was also funny to hear Joe's voice.
    And I'm liking it. Very nice, guys. It's interesting to hear the opinions of our fellow forumites.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • This podcast is turning more and more into "FRC fourm skype chat". It was also funny to hear Joe's voice.
    Neither Jason nor I have been invited. I am sad :(
  • What ever happened to those forum Skype chats we used to do?
    We should definitely bring them back and actually record them or something...
  • Neither Jason nor I have been invited. I am sad :(
    Then start your own podcast, and never invite Thaed. Problem solved!
  • Then start your own podcast, and never invite Thaed. Problem solved!
    Because that would take time...and effort.
  • The podcast was started before I had ever heard of Geeknights. Listen to some of the old shows. And who says Jason was never invited? He works on Friday nights. Basically, if a person wants to be on the show, all the person has to do is ask, be over 21 and have some level of debating skills. I've met some wonderful people here, not least of all, Rym & Scott. Having them on the show along with everyone else has been a terrific experience.
  • Because that would take time...and effort.
    If Hungryjoe could defrost his antediluvian ass to do FNPL, a young dude such as yourself should be able to make his own podcast. Sheesh, the youth of today!
    I can say stuff like that, now that I'm 26.
    Whoa. I didn't know you guys used to do that. That sounds fun.
  • have some level of debating skills.
    Wait Wait. Scott Rubin has some debate skills?
  • If Hungryjoe could defrost his antediluvian ass to do FNPL, a young dude such as yourself should be able to make his own podcast. Sheesh, the youth of today!
    I'm sorry, apart from getting a CS degree from one of the best schools in the country, learning Chinese, maintaining concert level performance on my french horn, and going out with my girlfriend, I think I'm sufficiently busy.
  • edited February 2008
    Neither Jason nor I have been invited. I am sad :(
    Sorry, I was invited a while ago but unfortunately I work while they record. I would give my left nut for a Friday night off -- except that tends to be when really good crime news happens. Last Friday, I covered a murder.

EDIT: For the record, my right nut is inviolate.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Just from looking at the outlines (because my lazy hand has yet to click a link), these shows sound like they're so fun to listen to and be apart of! Damn my inability to debate and be over 21!
    What ever happened to those forum Skype chats we used to do?
    We should definitely bring them back and actually record them or something...
    Ehhh, if you need a silent planner/recorder, I have Skype, WireTap Pro, and Audacity/GarageBand, and I'd be pretty happy to help out. I'd have to make it work with the divorce schedule (Dad's attached to his laptop, and he doesn't have any Skyper recording device) and my own podcast schedule, though. Anyways, just an offer.
    Scott Rubin is a genius. Seriously.
    Scott Rubin is a genius. Seriously.
    Ray is smarter, and not Kurzweil.